5920g Acer Aspire graphics replacement

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by l0ngman, Feb 2, 2010.

1. l0ngman

l0ngman

Hi

I have a 5920g Acer Aspire laptop with an Geforce 8600m GS MXM II card inside, and I was wondering if anyone knew if there is any reason why a Nvidia Quadro FX 770M card would not work as a replacement (MXM II also)?.

From what I have found it seems to be the most powerful MXM II card available, that's why I'm considering this as an upgrade.

In theory I would think they should be interchangeable but wasn't sure if I'd have to update my laptop bios or something extra, other than physically swapping cards.

Regards

Rich.

l0ngman, Feb 2, 2010
  2. l0ngman

Shad0wguy

You do realize that the Quadro cards aren't optimized for 3D, so if your looking at this upgrade to improve your gaming experience you will be disappointed with the Quadro.

Shad0wguy, Feb 2, 2010
  3. l0ngman

l0ngman

Well I thought they were optimized for 3D, but for work applications not games. Also I have checked out some benchmark sites and even though the FX 770 is not optimized for gaming it still performs better than the 9600M GT, that it's based on.

I will be using both for 2d/3d work and gaming.

Just wanted to know if any of these MXM II cards are compatible, as I have only read on forums of people updating their card to an Ati 3650 (or so).

I was hoping someone from Acer or anyone who has tried a card other than the Ati 3560 would know if any MXM II card would work.

Regards
    Richard.

l0ngman, Feb 2, 2010
Ask a Question