532h Wireless only works after BIOS flash, but then stops.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by AdrianD, Dec 5, 2011.

1. AdrianD

AdrianD

I have an Acer Aspire One 532h Netbook which I bought just over a year ago. A few months ago I upgraded from Windows 7 Start to Home Premium and have been having problems with the Atheros AR5B95 wireless network adapter ever since.

When I boot it up it will occasionally find my home network, but after a few minutes it will lose connection and then tell me that no connections are available (with the red cross infront of the connection strength bars). Most often though, it does not connect at all and just shows the no connections available icon.

I have tried all of the following:

Turned off the power saving option in Device Manager to turn off the network adapter to save power – turned this off for for the Ethernet too.

I’ve installed the latest update for the adapter – using Windows automatic updates, from the Acer website and also from the Atheros.cz website, but none has worked. I’ve also done this by disabling and removing them completely before reinstalling (through Device Manager – Fn+F3 doesn’t’ seem to do anything – possibly as I’ve not installed the hotkey program). I’ve tried reinstalling the drivers that were working with the Starter Edition and they don’t work..
    I’ve completely updated Windows 7.
    The one thing that does work for a while is to flash the BIOS (version 1.24, 1.25 or 1.26) using the windows installer – when the computer restarts, the wireless network connects straight away, works perfectly well (5 bars) and stays connected – until I reboot, when the problems start again. If I just sleep the netbook then it mostly works, but any kind of rebooting brings back the problem.
    I’ve no idea what’s going on – it’s hugely annoying. Can anyone help?

Thanks.

AdrianD, Dec 5, 2011
Ask a Question