5 second boot time for modified moblin on eee 901/aspire one

Discussion in 'Asus Eee PC' started by soleblaze, Oct 3, 2008.

1. soleblaze

soleblaze

Looks like Arjan van de Ven and Auke Kok managed to get an eeepc 901 fully booted to an XFCE desktop in 5 seconds. Arjan mentioned in a slashdot comment that he also got the AOA101 to bootup in 5 seconds using the same technique. You can read about it here

Makes me wonder how fast we can get it to boot without the unreleased patches that he used. (It looks like most of the stuff he did would be available to us by the time the 2.6.28 kernel is released)

soleblaze, Oct 3, 2008
  2. soleblaze

ivor

yeah that's 5 seconds from the start of init running though. still impressive compared to the 8 seconds we're down to so far though. It's given me some ideas for a few more shavings I can do though....

on the other hand a linux-bios on an aspire would be an impressive bootup time.

ivor, Oct 3, 2008
  3. soleblaze

soleblaze

Or if the Acer bios had the ability that the Asus Eee PC ones do, which is cache the bios loadup. The EEEPC gets passed bios in a second or less with it turned on.

With regards to 8 seconds, is there a thread on that somewhere? It looks like he installed a few patches that aren't released to get it to 5. Hell, just starting up XFCE from the command line takes almost 5 seconds for it to settle (at least for me)

EDIT: Nevermind, I found the post.

soleblaze, Oct 6, 2008
  4. soleblaze

Oliver

what is the link?
    thanks

Oliver, Oct 6, 2008
  5. soleblaze

ivor

and apologies before anyone asks that I havent sorted out the details! sorry. been really busy.

ivor, Oct 6, 2008
  6. soleblaze

soleblaze

ivor talks about it here, however he hasn't released any documentation yet on how he did it.

I'm waiting for the Insipid kernel to quiet down before I start working on getting boot times down in xubuntu 8.10.

soleblaze, Oct 6, 2008
Ask a Question