5 minute howto: automatic fan control (updated)

Discussion in 'Linux' started by annafil, Sep 10, 2008.

1. annafil

annafil

Note: The commands that control the fan are borrowed from macles.blogspot.com. I've just automated the process ;)

Update: Casao pointed out a couple of problems with the install.sh (like the fact that it wasn't there). I've updated the tarball already with some changes. Same url. Thanks Casao!

This script turns the fan to its highest setting when the AC adapter is plugged in (because the lappie can get a little warm when it's on your lap and charging). When the AC adapater isn't plugged in, it drops to normal mode. Read below for how to turn off the fan while on battery.

It is written and tested for linpus, but should probably work on Ubuntu as well

Step 1
    Download this tarball, extract, run

Code:
    chmod +x install.sh
    sudo ./install.sh
    Then to refresh your acpi, run

Code:
    sudo killall acpid
    sudo acpid
    Done. It's one step :) Try plugging out the power cord and plugging it back in, give it a couple of seconds and listen to the fan sound.

If you want to turn the fan off while on battery (not recommended, do at your own risk, but if you're REALLY desperate for battery life), run

Code:
    sudo mousepad /etc/acpi/events/acoff.conf
    Change

Code:
    action=/home/user/bin/fanlow
    to
    Code:
    action=/home/user/bin/fanoff
    Then to the reset acpi thing.

annafil, Sep 10, 2008
  2. annafil

hiker_jon

Hi,
    Could you say a little more about what this does and why? For instance it seems to deal with the fan differently than the noisy fan hack on the wiki (I would link to it, but I see its been spammed again). Do you think that one is too aggressive about turning off the fan?
    Jon

hiker_jon, Sep 13, 2008
  3. annafil

annafil

The noisy fan hack turns off the noisy fan when it gets too loud. The noisy fan in that case is actually a symptom of other issues, so this isn't related.

This howto is for those who have a normal working fan, and who, like me, feel that when the AC adapter is plugged in the laptop gets too hot. So this howto gives you the option of turning up the fan speed automatically

annafil, Sep 13, 2008
  4. annafil

Poelsa

I have made no hacks to my fan, but i think it is a bit loud compared to my macbook (when the mac is as silent as it gets) is it possible to reduce the fan speed without running the first part of this mod?
    I do not want it to run faster when connected to the ac, as it does not get warm, so i can't really se any use of running that part.

This is my first post here by the way, and my first day on linux, so treat me nice please :)

Poelsa, Oct 9, 2008
  5. annafil

annafil

Poelsa: yes there is a way to simply shut it off. Download the archive linked in the post, extract the "fanoff" file.

Right click on it, find Permissions and make sure "Executable" is set. You should be able to double click on it and turn off the fan.

If you want to to make this more permanent, I would suggest looking on this forum for how to add things to system startup.

annafil, Oct 9, 2008
  6. annafil

Poelsa

And I thought Linux was hard :)
    Thank you for the quick reply, i extracted the three scripts and just tested it, is there a speed between low and none by the way?
    Give it a day and the fan probably won't bother me at all.

I have to say that from what I have done with the one today, it seems as though my macbook will stay at home when I leave in the future.

Poelsa, Oct 9, 2008
  7. annafil

annafil

Poelsa... Unfortunately, there are only three hardware fixed speeds for the fan, as far as I can tell

:) Glad you're enjoying the new toy

annafil, Oct 10, 2008
  8. annafil

shancial

Annafil, i now have a problem. i applied your hack and it works fantastic, but i need to get the fan with AC to dynamic again. the fan noise on full is too loud for me to use at night. so, i need to leave battery fan action alone but change the AC fan to dynamic again, could yyou help me?

shancial, Dec 3, 2008
  9. annafil

gnash

I've applied this and it's screwed up on mine.

I've found that with this:
    Fanhigh - low speed fan(barely audible)
    Fanlow - high speed fan(audible)
    Oh well I've just swap these values and now it works the way its actually supposed to!! Figured it out just in time too as I can feel the keypad getting hot :roll:

gnash, Dec 4, 2008
  10. annafil

dskid807

How remove this hack? Please replay or PM me with instructions.

dskid807, Dec 11, 2008
Ask a Question