4GB of RAM being incorrectly reported as 3GB?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by jhodgski, Feb 6, 2010.

1. jhodgski

jhodgski

I have an Acer Aspire 5920G with 4GB of RAM (DDR2). It went in for repair (replacement hard drive) and when I got it back, 'Control Panel >> System' says it only has 3070 MB of RAM. (Windows Task Manager reports a Total Physical Memory of 3069 MB.)

However, when I run the memory test utility from my Ubuntu CD, it says I have 4096 MB of RAM with no errors.

So I'm a bit confused!... Does anyone know what might be wrong?

Thanks in advance,
    James

jhodgski, Feb 6, 2010
  2. jhodgski

melhiore

What system you use?? 32-bit system can address only 3GB of RAM so it may be correct...

melhiore, Feb 6, 2010
  3. jhodgski

mmad

Its probably got a 32bit Operating System installed. Install a 64bit OS to see and use it all.

mmad, Feb 6, 2010
  4. jhodgski

jhodgski

Yes, it's a 32-bit OS. It used to report having 4GB memory before it went in for repair. This problem has only occurred since it came back from repair. (It's always been 32-bit.)

jhodgski, Feb 8, 2010
  5. jhodgski

THE_SHRUB

try running all ur updates, and install any service packs, generally when computers come back from warrented repair they fail to do updates and sometimes even install the wrong languages and other bizarre things

THE_SHRUB, Feb 12, 2010
  6. jhodgski

tsp_2177

it's the 32-bit windows operating system. to my knowledge no matter of updates a 32-bit windows operating system cannot recognize more than the 3gb of ram. i have heard of a work-around in ubuntu, but i don't know if it was ever confirmed that you could actually utilize the 4gb of ram in a 32-bit linux operating system. the computer would show that it would have 4gb of ram with that work around but i'm not sure if it was actually utilizing the 4gb or not.

tsp_2177, Oct 23, 2010
  7. jhodgski

melhiore

And you're right. It's related to CPU addressing space.

melhiore, Oct 23, 2010
Ask a Question