4 Gb Ram on Aspire D150

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Luc, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Luc

Luc

Hi. I have an Acer Aspire One D150-1669 with a 2GB RAM module. I am searching for info on possibly upgrading it to 4GB, but information seems to be conflicting. Here, in this forum, I find several reports that my AAO exact model cannot handle 4GB at all. On Google, I seem to find odd reports here and there that yes, it is possible. Can anyone please share any more accurate information?

I dual-boot Linux and Windows XP.

Luc, Jul 14, 2011
  2. Luc

Swarvey Moderator

You'll probably be able to find a 4Gb module that will physically plug in and your AAO will boot, but as far as I know, the chipset in the AAO will only recognise 1Gb of it, combine that with the 512Mb already on board and your AAO will only see and use 1.5Gb of total RAM.

Swarvey, Jul 14, 2011
  3. Luc

DutchDK

That is only true for the Aspire One A110 and A150 models. They have 512 MB soldered on the motherboard, with no way to disable it,thus the largest SO-DIMM one can fit in the vacant memory slot on those models, are 1 GB.

The D150 model the poster asked about can only use a maximum of 2 GB memory (chipset limitation), same goes for the D250. None of these models have RAM soldered on to the motherboard, so the largest SO-DIMM that can be fitted, is 2 GB.

DutchDK

DutchDK, Jul 16, 2011
  4. Luc

Swarvey Moderator

Ahh yes, very true! I must have been in a hurry and not noticed the model number when I was replying. My mistake! Cheers for the correction :D

Swarvey, Jul 16, 2011
Ask a Question