3rd aspire one and dont want it!!!!!

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by atariman2002, Sep 27, 2008.

1. atariman2002

atariman2002

I hope acer is reading this.

Yesterday i have replaced my aspire one again for the 3rd time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WARNING TO ALL ASPIRE ONE USERS!!!!

I purchased an aspire one about 6 weeks ago

within 2 weeks the unit one morning failed to power on ....well the power led worked but no POST screen or bootup or graphics...just one green led and thats it

I telephoned acer and they gave me an RA# to give to the local shop i purchased it from and they promptly issued me with a replacement unit minus my data on the laptop!!!!!!!

Now 3-4 weeks after getting the replacement it does exactly the same thing as my previous ONE

when you power on the unit the power led turns on....you can listen to the unit by putting it against your ear and and you can hear a whirrring noise i assume is the hdd. Apart from that nothing happens...no bootup, no post screen nothing.

The franchise store i located yesterday were gracious enough to repalce the whole unit AGAIN minus my data.

SO TWICE NOW I HAVE REPLACED MY ONE AND LOST ALL MY DATA.

I do not blame the franchise store as they only sell this brand.

I will be contacting acer during the week for answers.

i do not feel secure about using my 3rd replaced one now as every time i turn it on i am just waiting for the dreaded black screen and no boot up issue again!!!!!!!

has anyone any ideas whats going on with these units?

they look good, perform well but not reliable as far as i am concerned and if it fails again will want $$$$ back and will get a Toshiba Portege that will work.

I will mention that i believe i have stumbled across a common fault with the aspire one unit.

exactly the same fault.

i have used the unit as like any other laptop........i do not mishandle my gear nor use any non genuine accessories.

whats with this issue?

advice anyone?

atariman2002, Sep 27, 2008
  2. atariman2002

Duke0102

Maybe a bad batch and the store you got it from are still holding them, have you tried updating the bios etc and do you have it on all day? were not the store so you can tell us ;)
    And where i work if you return with a faulty item with a GA number then you should have the option of returning it

Duke0102, Sep 27, 2008
  3. atariman2002

Mission

just remove the power cord and pull the battery out.

then put them back in and it will work.

sounds like you have it set to some kind of hibernation mode.

if you don't want your aspire one, send it my way. i'm serious.

Mission, Sep 27, 2008
  4. atariman2002

Tamrac

Sounds like the classic black screen of death.... it's the BIOS bro. Update it to the latest one. Somehow after standby or some kind of power saving thing(can't recall), the AAO corrupts it's own BIOS. This has now been fixed. And this as far as I remember only happens mostly on the A150. Cheers.

Tamrac, Sep 27, 2008
  5. atariman2002

andy100

Is this BIOS problem only on Linux or XP too? If it is on XP, how do I update the BIOS please?

You've got me worried now! :?

Andy

andy100, Sep 27, 2008
  6. atariman2002

Tamrac

Just in XP. Download the latest from the ACER site. Make a bootable USB stick, copy the files there and run the included batch file after booting from the USB stick.

Tamrac, Sep 27, 2008
  7. atariman2002

atariman2002

does the current bios correct this issue?

atariman2002, Sep 27, 2008
  8. atariman2002

andy100

Ermmmmmmm, now I'm confuddled! How exactly?

Is this a problem with all XP machines? Can it be done without a USB stick?

Cheers,
    Andy

andy100, Sep 27, 2008
  9. atariman2002

goofball

goofball, Sep 27, 2008
  10. atariman2002

andy100

Well after a bit of searching here and on Google, I checked and it seems I have v0.3114 (09/05/2008) already.

Is this the correct one?

Cheers,
    Andy

andy100, Sep 27, 2008
  11. atariman2002

Tamrac

Try to look at the ACER site... the BIOS update is on the XP tab.... go figure. Linpus don't have this problem.

Tamrac, Sep 27, 2008
  12. atariman2002

Tamrac

the latest is v.3304 . Guys, search the forum for the BIOS thread. This thread is on the wrong section.

Here's the thread...
    viewtopic.php?f=51&t=3246

Tamrac, Sep 27, 2008
  13. atariman2002

andy100

Thanks for that. I've been getting a quick black screen when booting into my desktop, which I think might be mentioned in that thread. I'll give it a go.

Just one last question. Should we be updating the BIOS each time a new release is produced? Surely that defeats part of the object of a new machine?!

***EDIT*** Well after reading that thread, I'm wondering if I should just stick to my current version - I mean, as per my comment above...if it ain't broke, why fix it?! Part of the reason I went for a Windows machine was so I didn't have to p*ss about with the OS!

I think that as long as my machine doesn't brick itself (which tbh as it's a comp by a reputable company that's been in the market for a few months at least now I'd hope!) I'm not going to bother with the added hassle.

*Fingers crossed!*

Andy

andy100, Sep 27, 2008
  14. atariman2002

andy100

Sorry to post again, but I've now noticed that when putting my AA1 into Hibernation mode (which I enable via pressing the power button, as is my usual practice with machines) it fails and hangs on the 'Preparing to hibernate' screen.

I'm presuming that this is the problem (or at least on of them) that people are talking about with v0.3114? Does this mean that potentially my machine's liable to get the black screen and bricking problem?

P.S. I've disable this now and will use the 'Sleep' function via Fn+F4, but what's the difference between Sleep & Hibernate?

Thanks,
    Andy

***EDIT*** Arghhhhhhhhhh! And now the Fn+F4 Sleep function's not working! This isn't my day, what with also having problems transferring my iPod music back to iTunes :(

Any quick fix solutions -have I turned off the Sleep function somewhere or can I reinstall the Hibernate function somehow? Please help before I do something I regret to my shiny new AA1!

***Edit v2.0*** Well I've now flashed the BIOS and everything seems to be working ok :D

I'd actually turned hibernation back on before I did the flash and it was working agaain :roll: but still the Fn+F4 sleep mode isn't working :?:

Apart from it seeming to take forever to load Windows (could it be because I still had my USB plugged in?) everything's ok. I just hope this fixes all problems with AA1's bricking and such.

Cheers,
    Andy

andy100, Sep 27, 2008
  15. atariman2002

goofball

I have the Linplus model, and it has happened to me. I'm the only one this has happened to?

goofball, Sep 27, 2008
  16. atariman2002

scottro

No, not at all. The only thing that has been mentioned is that it seems more common on the XP models. I had it happen too. By that time though, I was regretting not getting the hard drive model---I don't want Windows, but I want it to be somewhat easier to install other distributions on the machine, so I returned mine. Now, I'm waiting for the 6 cells to come into stock at J&R or Amazon, since I've had good experience with both of them.

So no, as was said earlier in the thread, a BIOS issue isn't going to be O/S specific.

scottro, Sep 27, 2008
  17. atariman2002

judeh101

correct one is 3304.
    3304 is a really decent bios

judeh101, Sep 28, 2008
  18. atariman2002

Yosser_UK

I've got the 3.109 bios. Do you think I should upgrade? What bios does this black screen issue affect?

Yosser_UK, Sep 28, 2008
  19. atariman2002

judeh101

3114 is the one affecting, and 3114 is probably worst release so far.

judeh101, Sep 29, 2008
  20. atariman2002

andy100

After all my initial misgiving's, I'd suggest upgrading to v.3304.

I haven't noticed any difference in how my AA1 runs on it now - but take that as a good thing! :D

Andy

andy100, Sep 29, 2008
Ask a Question