3G Connection Manager for Vodafone

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mikeglaire, Mar 23, 2010.

1. mikeglaire

mikeglaire

Hi,

I bought an AA0 from Dabs with integrated 3G modem, it comes with BT Connection Manager software installed and a BT PAYG sim. It's running Windows XP Home.

Would like to use the Vodafone sim that I already have on contract. Can anybody tell me what connection manager software I can use and where to get it.

Have emailed Acer, BT and Vodafone, but no replies........yet. ;)

Thanks in anticipation.

MikeG

mikeglaire, Mar 23, 2010
  2. mikeglaire

Swarvey Moderator

I've been working on my 3G mod for a while now, and have ended up deciding on stripping down an external 3G modem, stripping it down and integrating it.

To the best of my knowledge, the majority of pre-integrated 3G cards in netbooks are USB-based. With mine I just created a dial-up account with the standard windows dialer. I don't see the need to install the carriers' software. Your computer should see the 3G card as a modem, if it does, then just setup a dial-up connection with the tools already in your OS. One major advantage to this is that you can then set it to auto-redial in the event of a dropout. None of the proprietary dialers I've seen had this option.

When configuring the dial up account, you can also set it to be pretty darn silent as well.

P.S My USB stick (not yet integrated) has LED lights which indicate the modems status, and which network it's connected to. While using the OS to control the dial-up connection, it's always using the 3G network. So I may be wrong, but I assume the modem's default is auto-band-selection, which says to me the only advantage to using the proprietary dialer is that you can manually set it to use the slower networks.

Swarvey, Mar 23, 2010
  3. mikeglaire

Jethro Tombs

The unlocked 3G version from Tescos comes with 'GlobeTrotter Connect' which works with any sim. have a look in the programs directory, you may be lucky.

Jethro Tombs, Mar 24, 2010
Ask a Question