$35 Charge for Software I Own?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Kartikay, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Kartikay

Kartikay

I called Acer to get a Windows XP Home Recovery DVD.
    They told me it would cost $35.
    I thought I bought a computer WITH XP Home.
    I gues I just own the recovery drive version on my One.
    Is this legal?
    If it is, Acer stinks.
    Dell ships recovery DVD's overnight with no questions asked.

I hate companies.

Kartikay, Oct 17, 2008
  2. Kartikay

davidbrown2

Yes.. Unfortunately it is legal
    The $35 covers shipping and distrubution
    The Acer has a recovery partition on the hdd - that is why they don't ship recovery disks.

Compaq and Sony don't include recovery disks, they just use a recovery partition.

It doesn't make acer stink - many companies do it.

davidbrown2, Oct 17, 2008
  3. Kartikay

Kartikay

Well, Dell does not do it. I just think it is lousy customer service and lousy tech support.

Kartikay, Oct 17, 2008
  4. Kartikay

daldred

You could always try the alternative OS which doesn't come with $ signs attached ;-)

daldred, Oct 17, 2008
  5. Kartikay

Spyder

You could probably find an image of CD on a certain web site from Sweden. Should work fine if you use the serial number on that stupid little tag with your windows serial number on it.

Spyder, Oct 17, 2008
  6. Kartikay

bland

That's what I do. Just grab a torrent and make sure you get the same version (home, business, pro) As long as you use your own cd key it's completely legal, and you'll get a clean install that way without all the bloat.

bland, Oct 17, 2008
  7. Kartikay

Kartikay

Yeah, the torrents, well, that is risky to me. I have found many in the past with Trojans and sometimes a legit key does not work because of different licensing. In fact, I saw one note on a torrent site that said of the home version
    Acer sucks for not providing the disks. If not free then at least less than $10. Sheesh.

Kartikay, Oct 17, 2008
  8. Kartikay

Dartsani

They should send that image in USB stick with that price, at least I'm not interested to get some useless CD so I still have to buy external cd driver/configure my desktops cd driver to do the job...

Dartsani, Oct 17, 2008
  9. Kartikay

Tavel

i'm surprised there isn't just an image download...though M$ probably has some rule against distributing the software, even if it's to license holders.

Tavel, Oct 17, 2008
  10. Kartikay

PGH_One_User

Download it for free from here...

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2445

Use the CD Key on the bottom of your AAO or the ACER key in your registry.

PGH_One_User, Oct 17, 2008
  11. Kartikay

Kartikay

Re: Download it for free from here...

Yeah, I used that but my freaking mic on the display does not work.

I am looking for the OFFICIAL DISK.

Kartikay, Oct 17, 2008
  12. Kartikay

rory

no there isnt
    it actually saves them bandwidth (whih they dont really need to save) and time sending/making dvd's
    you can download vista no questions asked directly from them, so no need to get it from torrents or something..

rory, Oct 18, 2008
  13. Kartikay

ronaldf

ronaldf, Oct 19, 2008
  14. Kartikay

alfbc

Acer USA shipped Windows XP system and recovery CD/DVD promptly and free of charge to me (in Canada). However, the system disc is a CD but the recovery disc is a DVD so my external USB CD drive could not read the recovery disc. The recovery DVD contains a large 3 GB file which is why it cannot fit onto a single CD. Fortunately, I had downloaded the "Unofficial XP recovery disc" mentioned elsewhere in this forum and burned ISO image to a CD, which in turn was used to reinstall XP. Registration was no problem using code on bottom of machine (after correcting what I thought was a B when in fact it was an 8!).

alfbc, Oct 19, 2008
  15. Kartikay

fateastray

I can't believe so many people go through so much trouble to get a retailed version of Windows......

There's a bay, where pirates linger, and they hand that stuff out for free...bit by bit..

fateastray, Oct 19, 2008
  16. Kartikay

Kartikay

Yes, but I like my software without trojans and I want my F'in drivers to be loaded.

I can't believe that you would actually trust loaded on reworked system software for illegal sources on your computer.

Kartikay, Oct 19, 2008
  17. Kartikay

spyderms

I've never had any problems running software obtained from TPB. They now even have a 'trust' system in place for the people that submit files to the website, so you can be sure you're not getting something from someone who's intent on compromising your installation. Besides, sometimes you can't even trust products from the manufacturer to arrive clean... :p

-John

spyderms, Oct 19, 2008
  18. Kartikay

rjm

Whether you can or can't it on a p2p network is tangential to the issue of whether a company should provide a free recovery DVD.

As was said earlier, most companies use a recovery partition on the drive, and only provide optical media if you ask, and if you pay... its isnt just Acer. Most notebooks you buy today are like that. Dell may be the only significant exception to the rule. If you just want to reinstall your OS, the recovery partition is actually pretty convenient. Its when you come to upgrade your hard drive that the whole thing comes crashing down.

The Aspire One Linux version is nice: you have a DVD (or is it a Cd, I never checked..) from which you make a bootable USB drive, from which you restore the system. Its works great.

rjm, Oct 20, 2008
  19. Kartikay

EvilMangager

All it took was a call to Acer, getting a little run-around from the telephone crew and voila! Only 37 minutes later
    Acer agreed to ship me a free Recovery set. Here's the kicker: they claim that every Acer Aspire One, including
    the Windows XP model 150 like mine, is supposed to already have the recovery set ON CD included even if it's not listed
    in the package contents listing! That's what they are saying now, incredible...hmmm, seems like they've gotten
    a little too much flack on this one and are trying to backtrack on this "mistake".

You can read about my Acer bullshit experience here:
    viewtopic.php?f=61&t=3385&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=50#p38562

A little something for Google:
    Acer missing recovery set because
    Acer Bullshit - acer screws customers -acer cuts corners -acer is pennypinching

EvilManager

EvilMangager, Oct 26, 2008
Ask a Question