3305 BIOS and system temperatures

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by zoogle, Oct 23, 2008.

1. zoogle

zoogle

For some odd reason, my system idle temperatures have risen after flashing the BIOS to 3305 from 3116. I thought the new BIOS was supposed to have more energy saving features but apparently power management has been nerfed. Temps went from ~50C to ~55C with the AA1 fan control utility on.

Anyone else experience this kind of problem? I'm using the temperature readout from AA1Fancontrol.

zoogle, Oct 23, 2008
  2. zoogle

hobbang819

My temps go between 47-49C while watching a video on hulu and roaming the internet.I have no comparison against older versions since I've been running v3305 since I received it. Using speedfan to read the temps.

hobbang819, Oct 23, 2008
  3. zoogle

zoogle

Are you running any fan speed/threshold modification software or just using the built-in BIOS fan control?

It seems as though the power regulation differs when I'm on AC vs. battery although CPU frequency remains identical. Getting around 41-47C on battery vs. the 55C I was getting through the mains. Hmmm....

Oh, and it would seem that 3305 has turned my battery life to crap. Getting a power draw of 10.5-11W when idling compared to 9W before. There's almost an hours worth of battery life in those 2W.

EDIT: I seem to have found the culprit of the battery drain. Apparently just leaving a flash heavy tab open in firefox sucks an extra watt @ idle. That and switching from AVG to Avira antivirus seems to have helped to bring idle draw down to 9W and load draw around 15W. Now I have to work on this heat issue....

zoogle, Oct 23, 2008
  4. zoogle

Guest Guest

No differences in temps here. I've been playing around with versions 3109, 3304 and 3305 and haven't noticed any differences in idle temps. AA1 fancontrol usually reports idle temps between 55 and 60 degrees when sitting at the vista desktop or browsing. I have the AOA 150.

Guest, Oct 24, 2008
  5. zoogle

moondevil

Using CoreTemp, which is Atom aware, my temps went from 50-60's on 3304 to 60-70's sometimes up to 80's under heavy load on AC with 3305. Haven't compared battery life yet.

moondevil, Oct 24, 2008
  6. zoogle

zoogle

There seems to be some differences between temps on AC power compared with temps on battery power. Why AC is higher, I have no idea but apparently the BIOS is less stringent with temperatures and power management when on AC. Normally this wouldn't be an issue but the cooling system in the AA1 is rather....lacking...

zoogle, Oct 24, 2008
Ask a Question