32 bit or 64 bit windows for Photoshop?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by umair, Sep 1, 2016.

1. umair

umair

Hello everyone, I have acer aspire e15 laptop with 16 GB RAM 256 GB SSD NVIDIA 940MX Windows 10 64bit.

After some research i found that in 32bit windows Photoshop just uses 1.7 GB RAM and in 64bit windows Photoshop uses all RAM installed in system. I also do some video editing.

I am going to install windows 7pro.in my laptop what is your advice should i install 64 bit version? There is any disadvantage of 64 bit windows?

Thank you for watching this thread.

umair, Sep 1, 2016
    wasim6568 likes this.
  2. umair

something back

Run with 64bit ,32BIT WILL BE PHASED OUT

something back, Sep 1, 2016
    wasim6568 likes this.
  3. umair

Corzhens

Our home desktop is running on a 32 bit processor which is a big disadvantage with new software. First is the Adobe Premiere video editing software which requires 64-bit processor. Next is the cloud storage - a hard disk that is connected to the network so all the users in the network can use that hard disk, it wouldn't install in 32-bit processor. My suggestion is for you to get the 64-bit processor and don't mind the extensive use of memory. It's not recommended to use the old models (like the 32-bit).

Corzhens, Sep 1, 2016
  4. umair

Elektron

Well, I'm currently using a 32 Bits system for my designing projects and everything runs fine so far, however, I would recommend you to run Ps on a 32 Bits machine if you have more than 2 GB of RAM, otherwise, you will have to upgrade, it also depends on the version of Ps you're looking forward to using. Get a 64 bit system and around 8 GB of RAM, you will be good to go.

Elektron, Sep 1, 2016
  5. umair

Fuzyon

32bit should be just fine if you're just casually designing in Photoshop, but for big PSDs you will need to have an OS on 64bit. 64bit allows you to make use of all your RAM (most noticeable if you have over 4GB of RAM) instead of just a fraction. I wouldn't worry too much about the computer using all of your RAM, it only does that when it can give full power to Photoshop but if you have other applications open it will disperse the memory accordingly.

Fuzyon, Sep 1, 2016
  6. umair

gwood

Go with 64 bit if you have a 64 bit system. It provides a much improved performance and is always the better choice for professionals and serious designers. Also, I don't think it always uses up all the memory. It uses all the memory that is available to it.

gwood, Sep 5, 2016
  7. umair

cluckeyo

I ran an old version (5.5) of Photoshop with Vista 32 bit for years, without problems. Unfortunately Windows 10 will not install my old Photoshop. I am looking at alternatives. I found one in the Google webstore that I am anxious to try. It is set up just like Photoshop. It is called.Pixlr Editor and it is free.

cluckeyo, Sep 5, 2016
  8. umair

SirJoe

How is it possible that the 64bit PhotoShop version uses up the full 16GB worth of ram? There must be something wrong, it shouldn't even use half that much.
    I would go with 64bits because 32bit has it's days numbered.

SirJoe, Sep 5, 2016
  9. umair

AntonioCalcano

Go with the x64 version if you can because even if you don't need it at this moment it will be beneficial for the future, the x86 is more than enough right now for most tasks but the x64 can give you an advantage over the years to come.

AntonioCalcano, Oct 5, 2016
  10. umair

wasim6568

I agree with you something back

wasim6568, Jul 23, 2023
Ask a Question