3 cell battery owners......

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by geazy, Jan 21, 2009.

1. geazy

geazy

are you disapointed with the battery life on your unit? Do you wish you would have bought the 6 cell battery? Do you find your charging your unit up all the time?
    All i can find locally is the 160gb unit with 3 cell battery and I noticed that the 6 cell battery is like 100 bucks. Thats insane. I wanted to get the 6 cell but they are becoming harder to find. I found some but local in store deals draw me to the 3 cell battery. What is the charge time on the battery anyway? My psp is kinda of the same way I guess. I mean I can get like a good solid 3 hours of gaming on it before charge but only taking like 1 or 2 hours to charge it's not that big of a deal. I can see myself using an AAO a lot and wanting the extra battery life but wondering how you guys feel about it...

geazy, Jan 21, 2009
  2. geazy

ronime

Acer do not ship 6-cell models here in the UK and the genuine 6-cell 5200mAH battery typically costs 75 GBP when bought as an accessory, which is quite expensive considering that I only paid 150 GBP for my A150.

There are a few merchants on ebay that will ship aftermarket 5200mAH batteries direct from HK or China for around 60 USD, some with free delivery to the US or Europe.

With a 3-cell 2200mAH on my A110 I can get 2.5 - 3.0 hours with the backlight turned down and very light wireless network use. It's early days with my A150 yet but I haven't got much over 2 hours out of it, admittedly most of the use has been installing/reinstalling OS and other software.

ronime, Jan 21, 2009
  3. geazy

Tamrac

About 1.5hrs charging... and 2.5 hrs of usage w/ wifi... not alot, but good enough for my needs as I have my main thinkpad if ever I need longer serious work. For just my everyday needs, 3 cell is enough. 6 cell makes the AAO heavy and bigger. But that's just me.

Tamrac, Jan 21, 2009
  4. geazy

gheek

With the 3-cell on a 110 Linux, I got slightly over 2 hours - with WLAN and backlight dimmed. It pretty soon got on my nerves to constantly think about saving power instead of working productively.

Now I got myself a 7200mAh from Hongkong, a 50 EUR investment that finally made this a tool that suits my needs. The 9-cell battery indeed weighs the same as the AAO and is kinda huge, but trading the lightness for 8h of run time this is more than ok. Besides, I rarely have to carry the charger with me any more, which reduces weight again (and I actually like the elevation of the keyboard by the battery).

gheek, Jan 21, 2009
  5. geazy

Ranger Wolf

I find the 3 cell lasts nicely for a small netbook. if you need it in school for several classes, I'd suggest bring the A?C cable, as you can plug it in most classes. around the house, i find it works great for what i need it, and have plenty of time before i need to charge it again. I tried stress testing my laptop at full ram cpu, and graphics to see the battery life, and you'll still get 1:15 average. so if you try to power conserve, you'll still get closer to 3 :)

Ranger Wolf, Jan 21, 2009
  6. geazy

PDub

PDub, Jan 21, 2009
  7. geazy

yachtpro

As I am not really a "serious" gamer except for Bejeweled 2 and a couple of others like it, I feel that I must remind myself, and others, that these little machines originally only had the 8 gig SSD , 512 MB RAM, and were sold as NETbooks for web surfing and checking email, etc. plus being designed around a very small form factor for weight savings and portability. The fact that they are now arriving with 1 full gig of RAM and 160 gig HDD's, loaded with a full version of Windows XP and still only weigh in at around a kilo is amazing! I usually am running two browsers with multiple tabs open, manipulating high-end graphics with ACDSee 9, Windows Live Messenger (active) and checking email when it chimes in. Battery life seems to be just a shade over two hours on the 3 cell unit. Can't complain. I don't want the 6 cell or the monster 9 cell purely for the aesthetics, never mind the extra weight and unsightly bulge in a tight fitting case. I have never charged the battery just for the sake of charging it. Normally if it is low I just plant myself somewhere within reach of an outlet, plug in the brick, and continue working. I love my AAO. It does more than is advertised about it. One plus would be a real restore CD instead of the funky hidden partition containing the recover software. Oh well...what do you want for the reasonably paltry price you pay for one of these?

yachtpro, Jan 21, 2009
  8. geazy

Ranger Wolf

As with any "cheap" battery on Ebay, you need to be careful. There are always alot of knockoffs with electronic batteries. An example would be the psp, people buy them off eBay (the ones from china and hong kong etx) and they blow up in your psp, literally. Personally I've sen links on this site to computer hardware sites and you can get batteries that cheap when their on sale. I'd rather trust one from a site as you can always get back to them if needed.

Ranger Wolf, Jan 21, 2009
  9. geazy

Shad0wguy

I manage about 2 hours running Windows 7 on the SSD model with WiFi off.

Shad0wguy, Jan 21, 2009
  10. geazy

geazy

I decided to buy 2 new ones with 160gb hd and 6 cell battery from an ebay store. I can't find any color but blue locally and they are the 120g hd and 3 cell batteries. I want white and pink and decided i'm going to want the 6 cell. Thanks for you help.

geazy, Jan 21, 2009
  11. geazy

geazy

well i bit the bullet and bought 2 AAO. I got a white and pink 6 cell model with 160gb hd. Got um for $748 shipped to my house with insurance. I'm excited to play with them. :D

geazy, Jan 23, 2009
Ask a Question