3 Cell battery dying out

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by villasbill, Mar 28, 2011.

1. villasbill

villasbill

When I get to 30% or slightly lower my battery will suddenly drop to 5% and I will get the charge battery warning. This netbook is about 15 months old,when I first got it would last to around 10% before the sudden drop. I get about an hour and a half to two hours of browsing before I get the warning.
    Any way to rejuvanate this battery? Was thinking about getting a 6 volt battery anyway,anyone have a vendor to recommend for replacement batteries? I did see a few vendors-Global Laptop Batteries-Superb Choice-&LaptopPartsZone .

Thanx
    villasbill

villasbill, Mar 28, 2011
  2. villasbill

Forone

My first gen XP One is now (knock wood) at 2.5 years on first 3 cell which runs 1.5 hours (true, it's rarely used) - the main thing is the battery monitor still works right. Here is some pretty good generic advice from HP about its Windows netbooks that I used some months ago:

Calibrate the notebook PC battery

Short discharges and recharges do not fully synchronize the battery's fuel gauge with the battery's state-of-charge. This can result in the amount of power available in one cycle being less than expected or the battery meter being inaccurate.

Under normal usage, batteries should be calibrated a minimum of once every 3 months. Use the following links for more information on calibrating your battery (XP):

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docu ... =c00035862

Re replacement, my experience with aftermarket batteries has been so poor, for my earlier Dell model, that I'll stick to Acer's OEM batteries regardless of the price. Day one the eBay types all have great specs, look and seem to work great, but they're garbage after six or eight months. I wouldn't take advice from anybody who hasn't had the replacement brand under normal use for a year or so without problems.

Forone, Mar 29, 2011
  3. villasbill

villasbill

Thanks for the info Forone- I'll try the HP method for resetting the meter. So many companies out there selling batteries it's hard to tell who is legit,even the ones claiming to have Acer brand batteries!!

villasbill

villasbill, Mar 30, 2011
  4. villasbill

villasbill

Idid the HP recalibrate method-didnt seem to make much difference. Ended up buying one from Acer website,total cost was $70,the aftermarket ones on Amazon were only 5 or 10 dollars cheaper. Batteries on ebay cost half as much but I didnt want to take a chance. Funny thing is if you do a Google search for Genuine Acer batteries the Acer website doesn't come up!! I hadn't been on Acer's site for a while and didn't realize they sold batteries.

villasbill

villasbill, Apr 10, 2011
  5. villasbill

Forone

There's a lot of commentary on this site about eBay type batteries but everything I found is first-week enthusiasm. As I said, my experience with my Dell replacements after a few months was so bad I'll not waste money on an unproven after market battery. I'm happy with Acer's OEM so far, 2.5 years on, and that's my choice for a replacement until I learn better. Good luck.

Forone, Apr 13, 2011
Ask a Question