3.5 gb iATKOS_v7.iso appears to have 128 kb of data

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by shurcool, Nov 18, 2009.

1. shurcool

shurcool

Hi,

My first post here. I'd like to try out Mac OS on my A110 (ZG5).

Just a quick overview: The only things I have are an A110 and an 8 GB USB stick.

I've got a iATKOS_v7.iso file with 6395be5253f53f716ed042db1dd599f3 MD5 sum, which appears to be correct. However, when I open the .iso file with WinRAR or mount it with Daemon Tools, I only see the following files that add up to 128 kb:

boot.
    boot.cat
    boot0.
    boot1h.
    boothelp.txt
    cdboot.
    readme.txt

The only means of installing an OS on my netbook I have is an 8 GB USB stick and I'd really like to use it if possible.

So how would I be able to sort of "burn" the ISO on a USB stick? I've searched for this, but they all seem to rely on copying the files from the iso, but I really doubt just 128 kb of files is the right thing to copy... How exactly do I see the "rest" of the 3.5 gb ISO image?

Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

shurcool, Nov 18, 2009
  2. shurcool

azz2811

I had this same problem when i first put iatkos 5i on a dvd do put on my netbook. It looks like there is nothing there but in actual fact there is. Just boot your aao from the usb/cd and it will work according to plan

azz2811, Nov 18, 2009
  3. shurcool

shurcool

That's what I sorta figured, but I don't have a USB DVD, so I'd like to put everything on a USB stick if possible...

shurcool, Nov 18, 2009
  4. shurcool

azz2811

yeah i have no idea how that has to work. Maybe see if anyone you know has a external dvd burner and maybe borrow it

azz2811, Nov 18, 2009
  5. shurcool

shurcool

What if I actually burn the iso onto a DVD, will I see more than 128 kb worth of files there or will it be the same deal as just mounting the iso with Daemon Tools?

shurcool, Nov 18, 2009
  6. shurcool

azz2811

yeah same deal, it wikl always look like that in a windows os. im not sure about it in a mac os.q

azz2811, Nov 18, 2009
  7. shurcool

rory

its because the iso is in hfs+ format. so you wont see any files unless youre on os x.
    well that may be wrong, but its the essence of the problem anyways

rory, Nov 20, 2009
  8. shurcool

newrobo

i'd like to know this as well. i do not have any external dvd drives (nor any one else i know) so it would be great to have a method to install OSX/iATKOSv7 via USB flash drive!!! thank you in advance. :)

//btw some other methods i've come across involved using disk utilities, but i do not have access to a mac to do so, so a windows friendly method would be much appreciated.

newrobo, Nov 22, 2009
  9. shurcool

jakerrulz

Ok, i was also wondering this back when i was first trying to install Leopard.

So the iAtkos v7i iso is formatted so that part of it is hfs+ and the other part is fat ##. Windows can only see the fat ## part and not the hfs+ part.
    Those files are just the boot files. If you open the iso with TransMac (or any other hfs+ reader for windows) you will see that all the system files are there.

I believe that they boot files have to be on the fat ## partition because the PC bios can only see fat ##. That is my guess, as these .iso files are meant to be burnt onto a cd and not installed by a usb drive with a special (chameleon) bootloader.

I hope this clears things up.

jakerrulz, Nov 28, 2009
  10. shurcool

shurcool

jakerrulz, that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

I guess this means there's no way to install OS X on an Acer netbook unless you have an external USB DVD-drive. At least, I don't know of any way.

shurcool, Nov 28, 2009
  11. shurcool

jakerrulz

you can still install it from a usb drive, you will just need some extra steps.
    there are some guides on this forum and on insanelymac.com

jakerrulz, Nov 29, 2009
  12. shurcool

shurcool

Would you be able to please give me some links? I haven't been able to find any such information. :(

shurcool, Nov 29, 2009
  13. shurcool

jakerrulz

jakerrulz, Nov 29, 2009
Ask a Question