2GB RAM possible on my One?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Shagbag, Aug 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shagbag

Shagbag

I've read the forums here and I've even read Intel's Datasheets. It's clear the graphics and memory controller hub of the Intel 945GSE Express chipset will only support up to 1GB SODIMMs in each slot. However, on my machine, lspci reports:
    Code:
    [user@localhost ~]$ lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel 945GME Express Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
    It's possible that the One's 2.6.23 kernel is reporting things incorrectly as the 945GSE (being a new chipset design from Intel specifically for the Atom) may not have its ID correctly recognised by the 2.6.23 kernel. That said, the Intel 945 Chipset Family datasheet suggests the 945GME Express will support 2GB SODIMMs, so - before I go out and buy a 2GB SODIMM - I'm curious to see if anyone can confirm if:

1. they actually do have the 945 GME Express in their One and that 2GB SODIMMs work or not; OR
    2. they actually do have the 945 GSE Express and the kernel is incorrectly reporting it as 945 GME.

Kind regards

Shagbag, Aug 21, 2008
  2. Shagbag

olavxxx

All i can say, is that it wont post with 2Gb.

Might be a bios limitation....

olavxxx, Aug 21, 2008
  3. Shagbag

rjm

The 945GSE datasheets state 1GB per DIMM max. The A1 uses the GSE chipset. So that's that as far as I am concerned, sorry.

rjm, Aug 21, 2008
  4. Shagbag

Shagbag

I opened up my One to have a look. Unfortunately the NB seems to be covered over by the HSF so I couldn't verify if it was the GSE or the GME.

I've decided to err on the side of caution and assume it's a kernel reporting problem (possibly fixed in later kernels). It would seem to make sense as it's unlikely Acer changed the design so soon to accommodate a 945GME. I'm going to go for a 1GB SODIMM.

Shagbag, Aug 21, 2008
  5. Shagbag

glibdud

Ask a Question