2 brand new acer series one laptops not working

Discussion in 'Linux' started by asvqvcah, Jan 20, 2009.

1. asvqvcah

asvqvcah

hi there can someone help, my 2 daughters were each bought for christmas an aspire one series ZG5. They have both within one day developed the same problem. They start up fine and following the acer logo they both change to a black screen and go no further. The curser still moves with the touchpad. I would do a recovery on them because they came with recovery DVD's, although as they dont have a cd rom drive, I dont know how to do it. Please help thanks.

asvqvcah, Jan 20, 2009
  2. asvqvcah

markh

The recovery DVD allows you to make a usb stick that will restore them back to their original state. You'd need another (working) computer with a DVD drive to make them, plus a usb stick. Do you have access to those things?

Alternatively, take them back to the shop and persuade them to replace/fix them. If that shop is PC World, or somewhere similar, please don't let them charge you money.

markh, Jan 20, 2009
  3. asvqvcah

asvqvcah

ahh thanks so much for the quick reply.....i dont have a usb stick, will an 8gb apple ipod be able to store this info...do you know why this might have happened to the two of them, i find it really strange and dont want it to keep happening but maybe its a common thing amongst this model.

asvqvcah, Jan 20, 2009
  4. asvqvcah

markh

Things like shutting down impatiently (i.e. stabbing the power button in annoyance) can apparently cause this sort of thing. There's a pretty simple modification you can make to let you get to a command line from that position, but I'm guessing you didn't know about it. When you've recovered from this problem, you should look into a backup facility.

I'd not like to say about the iPod, but it's likely to be a no. A memory stick ought not to set you back much (if you're in the UK, somewhere like Tescos is likely to sell a 8GB stick for about £10-12. I'm not sure if you need 8GB or just 4GB, though.).

markh, Jan 20, 2009
  5. asvqvcah

asvqvcah

great ill keep my fingers crossed .....THANKS

asvqvcah, Jan 20, 2009
  6. asvqvcah

asvqvcah

hi can anyone help.........ive transferred the disc onto usb stick and when I put the stick into the laptop it keeps saying "missing operating system"

asvqvcah, Jan 27, 2009
  7. asvqvcah

markh

You're supposed to boot the disk from your desktop computer (by restarting with the disk in; you may need to change your bios settings to boot from it; bios is normally accessed with an F key - there will be an option displayed briefly when you boot). It will then guide you through creating the recovery usb, which includes putting that operating system on it for you.

markh, Jan 27, 2009
Ask a Question