2.5" HDD possible?? See pics!

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by KjeldOlesen, Jul 31, 2008.

1. KjeldOlesen

KjeldOlesen

The FCC has disected the HDD version of AA1 and though it is apparently a different casing, wouldn't that 2.5" HDD also fit into our original SSD AA1 after removing a couple of screwing pins?

However, it does not appear to be connected through the ZIF socket???

http://jkkmobile.blogspot.com/2008/07/a ... ected.html

Rather it appears to connect on the rear of the motherboard. And there seem to be some connector also on the flip side of the motherboard of the SSD version

http://s344.photobucket.com/albums/p322/bb320/
    http://s344.photobucket.com/albums/p322 ... rdOver.jpg

I guess I will have to dissect mine soon to see what is there - unless someone else can provide some better pictures of this?

Kjeld Olesen

KjeldOlesen, Jul 31, 2008
  2. KjeldOlesen

grabejud

im rather concern on the temp

grabejud, Aug 1, 2008
  3. KjeldOlesen

hunter306

I don't think that the SSD version is going to allow for a 2.5" HDD. It appears as though the HDD version has a completely different connector that is not present on the bottom of the SSD version.

Physically, the space is definitely there. I took a few pictures while I tore mine apart, you can definitely see some extra posts that will get in the way, but they are very easily removed without damaging the casing.

These are from my A-one yesterday evening:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hunter306, Aug 1, 2008
  4. KjeldOlesen

KjeldOlesen

Hi

Nice pics - a lot nicer than the one I am referring to of the SSD version
    http://s344.photobucket.com/albums/p322 ... rdOver.jpg

But if you look again at this picture of the flip side of the motherboard from the SSD version the IDE connector does appear to be present to the left of the memory socket, but it is impossible to see from the picture whether it has any pins or if it is a normal lay out.

Edit:

Here is a somewhat nicer picture of the flip side
    http://bp3.blogger.com/_ZKlSQm2j7TI/SG_ ... 492871.jpg
    from http://jkkmobile.blogspot.com/2008/07/a ... ected.html

Kjeld

KjeldOlesen, Aug 1, 2008
  5. KjeldOlesen

rory

This would explain why in bios there is IDE0 and IDE1
    Very interesting indeed.
    Rory

rory, Aug 1, 2008
  6. KjeldOlesen

quincemil

I have some doubts about it, because this seems to be a different model of AA1, probably the 150 one...
    If you visit my little photoalbum http://picasaweb.google.it/FFurcas/AA1, the 2nd photo shows the rear side of the M/B of AA1.
    In the right side of the board (where 2,5" HDD is positioned in the photo of the link you posted), you can see a vertical strip with two holes at
    its ends; I think it's the place where, in the M/B you showed, is soldered a pata connector, not present in our version.
    A second proof is the presence of a module (I think a 3g one) in the left-bottom side of the 3rd photo, that is not installed in our version of
    the netbook (I'm talking about 110 model).

Regards

Franco

quincemil, Aug 1, 2008
  7. KjeldOlesen

KjeldOlesen

Hi

Hmnn, yes I guess you are right. I thought the bar code visible was stuck on top of the connector, but I can see from your picture that it is actually stuck right on to the mother board - or at least, so it appears. To bad, back to plan B :)

KjeldOlesen, Aug 1, 2008
  8. KjeldOlesen

Darren198712

I was wondering why there was a IDE0 and a IDE1. it would be cool if you could upgrade

Darren198712, Aug 1, 2008
  9. KjeldOlesen

KjeldOlesen

So, what about 2.5" to ZIF adaption

So, it appears that the PATA connector is not soldered onto the SSD version of the mother board.

Just curious - is it then possible to attach a 2.5" PATA disk to a ZIP MB connector - does it provide enough power?

KjeldOlesen, Aug 1, 2008
  10. KjeldOlesen

Tarjan

Just thought I should point out that the 2.5"HDD version is SATA connected not IDE/PATA.

As I am not overly impressed with the speed of the internal SSD I plan to do the following:
    1) Buy this female SATA connector from Farnell http://nz.farnell.com/1519812/connector ... 47018-2001
    2) Solder the connector on the the pads under the sticker on the backside of the motherboard.
    3) Remove the Screw tabs on the casing and plug in a 2.5" SATA hard drive.

I'll post pics when the connector arrives from the UK.

Tarjan, Aug 2, 2008
  11. KjeldOlesen

rvbcrs

That is one hell of a good idea! ;) I was wondering what that empty spot could be, so you know for sure it is a SATA connector place? that would be sooow cool! Can't wait to see any pictures, I for one am going to do this mod if it works!

rvbcrs, Aug 2, 2008
  12. KjeldOlesen

quincemil

Re: So, what about 2.5" to ZIF adaption

I remember that PATA ZIF connector provides 3,3 V of power, 2,5" drives standard needs 5 V.

In my photoalbum I've added a more detailed photo of the connectors's place
    http://picasaweb.google.com/FFurcas/AA1/photo#5229970207162330930

quincemil, Aug 2, 2008
  13. KjeldOlesen

Tarjan

Yeah I'm certain that it's SATA, standard 22pin connector will fit straight in.

Here's a pic of whats under the sticker.
    [attachment=1:1jrsni54]P80103825.JPG[/attachment:1jrsni54]
    Connector is similar to this only inverted to match the connections on the motherboard.
    [attachment=0:1jrsni54]Untitled-1.jpg[/attachment:1jrsni54]

My only concern with this mod is space under the motherboard, I have a feeling that the xp HDD version may have a deeper molded casing to fit the drive in.
    I think i might borrow a mates 2.5" drive first just to check, either way the connector is already ordered. I also ordered this while I was at it http://nz.farnell.com/1355713/connector ... tid=194208 it's a mini pci-e connector which I plan to solder on the empty connections for a 3G modem.

If this fails I will probably buy a 8GB Corsair Flash Voyager GT USB stick (sustained read of about 30-35MB/s and write of 20-25MB/s which is faster then most 2.5" 5400rpm hard drives anyway) and permanently solder it inside then run my OS off that instead.

Tarjan, Aug 3, 2008
  14. KjeldOlesen

kkndka

kkndka, Aug 3, 2008
  15. KjeldOlesen

ronmexico

I'm very interested in how the mini pci-e connector works out, please keep us posted and possibly pics of the job

ronmexico, Aug 3, 2008
  16. KjeldOlesen

quincemil

You're right, a 22 pin is certainly a sata one (IDE-PATA has 44 pins).
    As soon as I'll have few time to do it, I'll rip again my AA1 to take some measurements to find a place to install the drive.
    It's possible to examine the opportunity of using flat cables to move the drive to a roomier place...

quincemil, Aug 3, 2008
  17. KjeldOlesen

Tarjan

Hmmm not to sure about that, you would have to strip the cables back and solder the individual wires on to the correct pads. However my biggest concern would be the power connector and it's lack of 3.3V (the orange wires on the standard SATA power connector), I'm not sure if the 2.5" drives make use of it but they might. Overall I think it would be a lot more hassle then it's worth, you're probably better off buying the proper surface mount connector but if you think you're up to the challenge then go for it.
    Farnell ships worldwide so that shouldn't be a problem, if you're in the states http://www.mouser.com have pretty much anything you need, I had a quick look and the same connector was roughly $2.50 US plus shipping.
    I think in total it cost me $25.00 NZD including shipping to get three connectors sent to New Zealand so it's hardly big money.
    I'll keep you posted on what happens.

Note: the pic of the connector I posted earlier isn't quite truthful, it should be a right angle socket not vertical as shown.

Tarjan, Aug 3, 2008
  18. KjeldOlesen

Mvped

Hi,everyone... The HDD version of Aspire one has been released, and here are the pic of the SATA connector, [attachment=0:25oxp37w]mobile01-8ce35dccaf25b1a4c6e239551c1a81fd.jpg[/attachment:25oxp37w]
    that is exactly the position you guys mentioned.
    The only problem is where to get this kind of SATA connector.

Mvped, Aug 4, 2008
  19. KjeldOlesen

eliafino

Another problem:
    some component missing in the SATA power section: C426, C428, C431, C438, C441 and R364.
    Without these components, the disk isn't powered.

And bios?
    The SATA disk is IDE1?

eliafino, Aug 4, 2008
  20. KjeldOlesen

rvbcrs

Maybe mvpedwould be kind enough to provide us with the values of the smd components missing, if it is not to much we can solder them ourselfs..

rvbcrs, Aug 4, 2008
Ask a Question