2.5 Gigs of RAM?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by mattcook, Nov 26, 2008.

1. mattcook

jackluo923

AUO11c2 to be exact

jackluo923, Apr 17, 2009
  2. mattcook

synappz

I noticed the Wind has been mentioned, but I'd also like to throw out there that the Lenovo S10 will also allow for a 2gb module. As the MSI, it also disables the 512 module on the mobo. Leads me to believe this must be a BIOS issue.

synappz, Apr 19, 2009
  3. mattcook

jackluo923

It is a bios issue. Since we can't easily hack the bios, the next best thing to do is to do a hardware hack.

jackluo923, Apr 19, 2009
  4. mattcook

diredesire

Yep, definitely a BIOS issue, we haven't had anyone in the thread yet that has experience (to my knowledge) of hacking BIOS files. I asked around at work, but no one yet is able to help me. I think hardware is our best chance right now, but definitely we do want to get a BIOS fix, since Acer doesn't seem to want to help.

diredesire, Apr 20, 2009
  5. mattcook

BiosDude

http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/datasheet/309219.pdf
    The above datasheet from Intel clearly states in section 1.1.2, page 23 that the 945GME will support up to 4GB in dual channel asymmetrical mode with up to one SODIMM per channel. Since people have plugged in a compatible stick of 2GB memory and it failed to POST, I have to conclude that there is either a BIOS or motherboard issue preventing the system from getting done with initializing the memory. BIOS issue could simply be a check of the total memory and failing to POST if > 2GB. Motherboard issue could be something like grounding the upper address line (bit 31) thereby capping it at 2GB and causing a memory init failure by not being able to read/write above 2GB.

So in theory, the Acer Aspire One should be capable of supporting more then 2GB of memory.

BiosDude, Apr 23, 2009
  6. mattcook

diredesire

The AAO is using the 945 GSE, which only supprts 2GB RAM., not the GME

Edit: This is shown in section 1.4, which states the GMS supports the "below" features, which states a 2GB max. The next section states the GSE supports whatever the GMS supports unless otherwise noted. (Just for reference)

diredesire, Apr 24, 2009
  7. mattcook

BiosDude

I was going off my Aspire One, model #ZG5. It has a 945GME according to WinXP hardware manager.

Mfg Date: 0901 AOA 150-1405.

BiosDude, Apr 24, 2009
  8. mattcook

diredesire

Interesting, where is it listed? I have the same model.

I double checked this photo:
    http://www.manfunk.com/pics/aa1/cpunb.jpg

And I can make out that it says 945 GSE. Which driver did you install? It'd be sweet if they plunked down a GME on your board. I looked at my hardware/device manager, and I didn't see any indication of a GME?

diredesire, Apr 24, 2009
  9. mattcook

garrettp

the above picture of my AA1 shows GSE. when i run CPU-Z it says GME. CPU-Z error?

I Found my EMP20 software yesterday. will look at BIOS and POST back (lol, get it :))

garrettp, Apr 24, 2009
  10. mattcook

judeh101

cpu-z glitch, happened to me too :p nothing to worry about.

judeh101, Apr 25, 2009
  11. mattcook

garrettp

I finally had some time to go through the BIOS with EMP20 software. After spending half an hour going through it i went out to have a smoke and remembered that I had a program that would look for keywords in a binary file :roll: Now, all I need to do is dig up that program :(

needless to say, I got no where. I would still be interested in trying BIOS from a similar netbook.

garrettp, Apr 29, 2009
  12. mattcook

neal22

Hi Guys,
    I'd just like to say that you are INSANE!!! in a GOOD way. I've never seen so much dedication (just for an extra 512MB chip) in my life!!! :mrgreen:

Keep it up guys, you are giving us all hope!!! I love seeing this little baby turned into a MACHINE!!!! :D

neal22, Apr 29, 2009
  13. mattcook

judeh101

I agree.

judeh101, Apr 30, 2009
  14. mattcook

dln3

dln3, May 1, 2009
  15. mattcook

garrettp

Someone already posted the 3310 was available but the link the posted said the bandwidth had been reached.

Acer has not posted BIOS 3310 yet so I have no Idea where this is from or what it is for. Anyone?

I would be leery of downloading and using that BIOS. Has anyone tried yet?

garrettp, May 2, 2009
  16. mattcook

ronime

Macles is always ahead of the game with BIOS updates. I have never had any issues with BIOS updates obtained from his/her download site.

ronime, May 2, 2009
  17. mattcook

diredesire

Looks like according to the notes on macles website that it's just an ethernet PXE update.

Curses Acer!

diredesire, May 8, 2009
  18. mattcook

Muzafsh

@garrettp
    &
    @diredesire

Acer has posted the 3310 bios on their website so it is a valid bios from acer. i do not know how to check the changes/updates in this version though. i guess its your cup of tea :)

ALSO PLEASE CHECK THIS OUT.......to raise our fallen spirits !!! ;)

" http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=41228 ......."

hope we end up achieving the simple breakthrough these kids achieved, that to on a gadget from the king of proprietory secrets 'Apple ibook 800'.......

...this is an 'Acer' after all, and a 'netbook' a gadget that happens to be an accidental rage arising out of eeepc catch-on.

BUT EVIDENTLY A HIGHLY USEFUL PIECE OF GADGET, Proof ??? our indulgences here !!!!!!!

Like ' neal22 ' had put it
    " Keep it up guys, you are giving us all hope!!! I love seeing this little baby turned into a MACHINE!!!! "

hope this ends up as simple as the 'Apple ibook'

the rest you guys all have it. the data sheets for the MB chipsets & RAM Module and High resolution photographs !!!

going by the pins targeted by the geeks with the 'Apple ibook'

Our target ! it turns out...will be.......

PINS

81, 82
    87, 88
    95, 96
    103, 104
    111, 112
    117, 118

so a countdown of 12.......is all it takes !!!

so can we get back on the drawing boards ??? prepare a plan, practise over it !!! before we give this the final push !!!

CAN WE HOPE TO SEE THIS THREAD ACTIVE AGAIN AND 'I' CLOSE ONLY WITH A 'RESOLVED' STATUS.

:ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: .......geeks we are !!!

Note : If people are ready to give it a shot, i have a few suggestions to make which may keep the loses arising out of failures minimal. Let me know !!!

All the Best !!!

thanks in advance

Muzafsh, Sep 7, 2009
  19. mattcook

Muzafsh

Muzafsh, Sep 7, 2009
  20. mattcook

diredesire

sweet research. I'm asking around at work for some support on this, I'm trying to find the right contact (board designers). I'm going to need a little help internally before I try to proceed with this...

JD

diredesire, Sep 7, 2009
Ask a Question