16GB SSD speeds?

Discussion in 'Storage' started by cmlp13, Nov 6, 2008.

1. cmlp13

cmlp13

What are the speeds of the 16GB SSD Acer Aspire One? I am considering the Linux one, and I want to know if I should get the 8GB and upgrade it myself.

cmlp13, Nov 6, 2008
  2. cmlp13

SlCKB0Y

I was just thinking about this myself

SlCKB0Y, Nov 6, 2008
  3. cmlp13

madaleno

Do you mean, the one that cames with a110-x version? Or the regular a110 has come out with 16gb ssd?
    I want to see some ATTO benchmark of that drive, if someone can post that.

madaleno, Nov 18, 2008
  4. cmlp13

ostkamp

I bought the A110X (with Windows XP Home) beginning of this week and it has an 16 GB SSD that identifies as "P-SSD 1800". I wondered about the name, because I had seen earlier reports about an 8 GB SSD (rumoured to be from Samsung, if I remember correctly) that showed up with exactly the same string.

Regarding benchmarks, I've run trial version of HD Tune Pro File Benchmark test on it on top of Windows XP Home with a File length of 256 MB. The typical numbers were about 5 MB/sec write and 30-35 MB /sec read.

I had no real experience with SSD speeds, but looking at my SanDisk Cruzer High-Speed USB storage media, I had certainly expected better values.

Windows XP Home startup and shutdown out of the box appears very slow to me with this SSD (YMMV). I measured the following times (I had F-Secure Internet security installed):

Time from Win XP Home in idle state to
    - suspend-to-disk: 02:10 min.,
    - standby: 00:20 min,
    - full shutdown: 01:10 min

Wakeup or Reboot out of
    - suspend-to-disk: 00:40 min,
    - standby: 00:10 min,
    - coldstart: 01:10 min. until mouse became responsive, but much longer time needed until system became usable (I think this is because of virus checking)

I have not yet applied any tweaks (i.e. no RAMdisks, no filters etc.), only some applications like Google desktop / toolbars had been deinstalled, OpenOffice.org, Firefox etc. had been installed and Suspend-to-Disk has been enabled (no special application was active at the time of above tests, except F-Secure with default settings).

Hope this helps,

Guido

ostkamp, Nov 28, 2008
  5. cmlp13

Humanoid

It certainly does. These are the first findings I've read about the 16GB SSD so far, backed up with write/read speeds. Thanks!

Humanoid, Dec 3, 2008
Ask a Question