16Gb SSD Fast enough to Stream Video?

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Frappawotsit, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Frappawotsit

Frappawotsit

Hi, this is my first post, so apologies if i'm in the wrong place.

I'm about to purchase an AA1 for my wife. Her main useage is web surfing (99%) but she also wants to connect over the internet to our slingbox to view live, streamed Television.

I've heard various write speed issues with the Solid state memory, and was wondering if anybody here can tell me if the Windows XP, 1Gb RAM and 16Gb SSD would be good enough for the useage listed above?

I don't really want to pay the £40 extra for 120Gb HDD that won't ever be used really, but if the SSD isn't going to be good enough to stream TV live, then i'll have to spend the extra.

Thanks for your help

Frappawotsit, Jan 6, 2009
  2. Frappawotsit

alistdjs

i use slingbox on my aspire now and love it, its like having a portable tv everwhere! I have the 160gb hdd win xp version, it should work just as good on a solid state drive as sling is entirely streaming

alistdjs, Jan 6, 2009
  3. Frappawotsit

Frappawotsit

Excellent news....

does the data not get written to the SSD (or HDD) at all then, not even into a temp file?

I'm not too techie, so excuse my ignorance. Does the data stream coming in, purely get processed between the CPU and Graphics chip then, bypassing the SSD/HDD entirely?

thanks again

Frappawotsit, Jan 7, 2009
Ask a Question