120GB version in Canada now

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by DarrenHD, Aug 10, 2008.

1. DarrenHD

DarrenHD

I just received my 120GB version Aspire One with XP Home edition. So they are shipping now. My store received my unit Friday August 8th. Which means it was at a Canadian distributor before that...so stores should be receiving the 120GB version now, if not already.

Right now I just turned on my Aspire One for the first time and it is loading XP on from a recovery image. Seems the hard drive is working pretty fast.... :)

DarrenHD, Aug 10, 2008
  2. DarrenHD

iCoder

nice! im in canada aswell, can u tell me where u got it from,
    and by the way, what color do u have?!

iCoder, Aug 10, 2008
  3. DarrenHD

DarrenHD

I got it at mega computer (http://www.megacomputer.ca) but he special ordered it for me, so he doesn't have any more in stock. It came from Markham, Ontario, the distributor was SuperCom. So they should be available to order or in stock at any computer store now.

I have the White model, 120GB hard drive, 1GB ram, 3 Cell battery.

Works great and none of the slow-down is present in Windows XP that the SDD models have. So I don't have to install any tweaks to get XP to work properly!!

DarrenHD, Aug 10, 2008
  4. DarrenHD

iCoder

great 2 hear that man

iCoder, Aug 10, 2008
  5. DarrenHD

heyrick

The white Apsire one with WinXP and 3 cell battery is available (sale price) online at esng.ca and can be shipped or you can pick it up in Toronto at Yonge and Finch. Price is $369.99.

Just ordered mine a couple of hours ago and am picking it up tomorrow morning.

Cheers!

heyrick, Aug 10, 2008
  6. DarrenHD

heyrick

Apparently it is only on sale until tomorrow and stock is limited.

heyrick, Aug 10, 2008
  7. DarrenHD

iCoder

darrenHD, could u please take some pics of ur pc, outside and inside if its possible?
    and im so confused whether to get a white or blue ao1 im hesitant!

iCoder, Aug 11, 2008
  8. DarrenHD

DarrenHD

Hi, here is a link to an unboxing (both inside and outside) of a blue Aspire One:

http://www.itechnews.net/2008/07/04/ace ... assembled/

And for white:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thewunderbar/2671280896/

Mine is the hard drive version which I gather is slightly different inside. I used to have the 8GB SDD model (but it died so I returned it and decided to get the 120GB version instead, after learning of the 8GB SSD troubles running XP). From the outside I do not notice any difference physically.

Installing Vista on it now... :) I already setup my XP install and ghosted it so I can easily go back... I think I will run XP on it full time..and just play with Vista :)

DarrenHD, Aug 11, 2008
  9. DarrenHD

iCoder

oh thanks man!
    hope u like vista on that aswell,
    and do u like white or blue more?:!P!

iCoder, Aug 11, 2008
  10. DarrenHD

SbM

For what it's worth, I like the white one better. The blue one looks more like a toy to me, and fingerprints tend to be more visible. I bought the white one ;)

SbM, Aug 11, 2008
  11. DarrenHD

iCoder

its worth alot! thanks man!

iCoder, Aug 11, 2008
  12. DarrenHD

DarrenHD

I prefer the white, too...i think it looks more professional....yes, the blue one looks like a toy :)

DarrenHD, Aug 11, 2008
  13. DarrenHD

rjm

And here I was thinking everyone liked the blue one better!

rjm, Aug 11, 2008
  14. DarrenHD

DarrenHD

Ok I've got Vista Ultimate on it now (the 120GB version), and I put in a 1GB stick of ram, so now I have 1.5GB ram. Performance is quite acceptable! Even with Anti-virus going. ALL of the hardware is working - I installed the XP touchpad driver, XP card reader driver, w-lan driver, then let windows update get the video and one other driver (I forget which one). But everything is properly setup in device manager.

I am going to get a SD card and use it permanently as a readyboost drive to help even more. Apparently with Vista SP1 readboost drives help with hibernation, too, speeding it up! And I will still have one free SD slot :)

Overall I am pretty happy now with the 120GB version!

DarrenHD, Aug 11, 2008
  15. DarrenHD

electric0ant

there is a subtle difference in the size, if you look at the bottom of the case you can see that on the 120GB HDD version there is bulge on one side to accomodate for the hard drive, but it is quite subtle, I only noticed it when i was comparing pictures online during my dissassembly to fit in an extra 1GB ram.

I originally was going to for the blue version, as the blue 8GB SSD has been in sotres in the uK for a while now. didn't notice about fingerprints, but guess you would be right about it on dark glossy surfaces like my black 3G iphone u can really notice the finger prints.

I work in an small IT company so I can normally buy stuff from our suppliers for personal use. so annoying, after gettign fed up of our supplier repeated pushing the stock date of the aspire one, i ordered from laptops direct, for £299 + £15 postage. totalling £244, and guess what, the same white model comes into stock at my supplier on the same day after I have opened it, for a price of £222....

electric0ant, Aug 14, 2008
Ask a Question