120GB HDD Model - Recovery partition

Discussion in 'Windows' started by gAbS, Aug 22, 2008.

1. gAbS

gAbS

has anyone tried installing another OS (vista, nLite XP, Linpus) on the HDD model but still retain the recovery partition? since the HDD model doesn't come with a recovery DVD, i don't want to risk deleting the recovery partition for the sake of tinkering the A1 with other OS's.

Is is possible, for example, to install an nLited Xp without deleting the recovery partition, then install the acer empowering software in case i need to use the recovery partition again? I don't think the recovery partition can be accessed through the BIOS. I was hoping to install windows vista as well but still leave the recovery partition intact in case i'l need it in the future

comments anyone?

gAbS, Aug 22, 2008
  2. gAbS

hongcho

I started with a 120GB / XP Home and currently have XP Home / Ubuntu / OS X.

I did NOT delete the recovery partition. I just resized the XP Home partition using GPartEd. However, I did back up the recovery partition following: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=651

My version and note is at http://aspireone150.wikispaces.com/Back ... +Partition

I don't think you can upgrade the XP Home partition and just install the drivers/apps from the recovery partition. However, I think you can make that recovery partition as the boot partition (using any partitioning tools, e.g., GPartEd) and boot into it to recover the factory default XP Home. I haven't tried this full recovery yet. :) I reckon recreating two initial partitions and restoring the backup recovery partition and booting from it should do the trick...

Hong.

hongcho, Aug 22, 2008
  3. gAbS

Yoshiofthewire

If you want to install vista, just go for it.
    The Vista installer can not see the Recovery partition and will leave it untouched.

EDIT:
    WARNING WARNING!!!
    You WILL need to edit your boot manager to get into the recovery partition.
    The Vista Boot Manager just blows that away.

Yoshiofthewire, Aug 23, 2008
  4. gAbS

dabono

Yes, you can install XP (or something else) and still keep the recovery partition.

I basically followed the steps here, with one small modification:

Before installing Windows from the USB key, open the file BOOT.INI on the USB key.

Change any occurences of the string
    Code:
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)
    to
    Code:
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)
    This will prevent the "Missing hal.dll" error message when you go into the GUI setup step.

HTH,
    David

dabono, Aug 27, 2008
  5. gAbS

judeh101

ok, I upgraded to vista, and the recovery partition is gone! what do I do now?
    I mean, like how can I get the recovery partition to boot?

judeh101, Aug 27, 2008
  6. gAbS

Yoshiofthewire

So long as you didn't delete the hidden partition, you can install a secondary boot manager to launch the partition.
    You can chech to find it under Advanced Settings, Computer Managment, Drive manager

You can get a secondary boot loader from Sorce Forge, just search for "Boot Manager"

Yoshiofthewire, Aug 27, 2008
  7. gAbS

Nosferatu

In the UserGuide (pdf-version) at p.29, it says "While the Acer logo is showing, press <Alt> + <F10> at the same time to
    enter the recovery process." Does it work, if the partion is not deleted, and D2D Recoveryis enabled in bios?
    I'd like to try installing Vista, but be able to recover if it does not vork.

Nosferatu, Aug 27, 2008
  8. gAbS

judeh101

I don't know about that.. I can't work it out, I want to try installing boot manager the second partition, but, I have absolutely no idea what that guy just said. Hopefully I can try to make it boot.

judeh101, Aug 27, 2008
  9. gAbS

judeh101

Hopefully it works, I hope it will work, I have to go home to see if that method works or not.
    In the recovery process, what does it do? is it just like how we set up Windows XP with a normal disc?
    I am just too curious.

judeh101, Aug 27, 2008
  10. gAbS

Nosferatu

"This recovery process helps you restore the C: drive with the original software
    content that is installed when you purchase your notebook. Follow the steps
    below to rebuild your C: drive. (Your C: drive will be reformatted and all data
    will be erased.)"

Give it a try and let us know, it would be nice if it works! Don't forget to check that the D2D Recovery setting in Main is Enabled in BIOS.

Nosferatu, Aug 27, 2008
  11. gAbS

imcrazy

Alt + F10 works, it's a standard feature on all Acers. It will boot you into the recovery partition and you will be able to restore the computer from there.

imcrazy, Aug 28, 2008
  12. gAbS

TomasL

If I use Symatec Ghost to make an image of the complete drive. Then I remove the recovery partition when I install Vista to give me some more harddrive space.
    If I then want to restore the recovery partition I can use the ghost image to do so. This will work, right?

Regards
    Tomas L

TomasL, Aug 30, 2008
  13. gAbS

gAbS

I'm currently creating an image of my AA1's hard drive using Acronis 11, after that i'll try installing vista. Will post the results of this ASAP...

gAbS, Aug 30, 2008
  14. gAbS

mejgus

Is the disk named PQSERVICE (eisa configuration) FAT32 ca. 6gb the recovery partition? (shown in the disk management console) If so, the Vista installer should not be able to see it when installing? Im about to install the full version of Vista Ultimate from a usb-stick, and I hope to have the PQSERVICE-partition ready for use with the Alt+F10 option after ive installed vista. Anyone tried this who can confirm that it´ll work that way?

Cheers

mejgus, Aug 31, 2008
  15. gAbS

jagardes

i installed (upgraded) vista ultimate from a usb drive, and now having major issues getting touchpad to work properly (i have tried almost every available synaptic software but the touchpad just behaves abnormally). and now i am unable to rollback to xp. my recovery partition is gone. i tried alt+f10 at boot time but nothing happens (d2d is enabled in bios). i don't know what to do now? somebody mentioned above to try a boot manager to boot into recovery partition, can anyone provide some instructions on that?

jagardes, Aug 31, 2008
  16. gAbS

Nosferatu

I have installed Vista on my AA1, and the hidden patition is there, but can't confirm that the alt+f10 to recover works, that's a thing to discover later (or never). Think I'll keep vista, runs nice on 1GB ram and 120GB hdd.

Nosferatu, Aug 31, 2008
  17. gAbS

TomasL

I have now installed Vista on my AA1 and the recovery partition is still there.
    Even the ALT+F10 command works fine.

I agree, Vista works like a dream.

TomasL, Aug 31, 2008
  18. gAbS

jagardes

That's good :cool:
    Did u follow some instructions?
    Did u install it by booting from a USB drive? or from windows itself?
    This was a clean install or an upgrade?
    I'm just asking this because after i installed Vista Ultimate SP1 i lost the recovery partition and ALT+F10 didn't work :(

jagardes, Aug 31, 2008
  19. gAbS

TomasL

I installed a Vista Home Premium upgrade from within windows XP.
    But I then chooseed the clean installation so I diden't do an upgrade.
    I didn't follow any special instructions.

//TomasL

TomasL, Aug 31, 2008
  20. gAbS

friendwilder

I have followed the steps to create a rescue cd from your web page
    http://aspireone150.wikispaces.com/2.+R ... +Partition
    and from
    viewtopic.php?f=13&t=651

But as I do not have a big usb stick, I would like to create the recovery iso file into a network drive, but I am not using Windows, I have another computer with Ubuntu 8 installed, so, how I can make a network drive inside Ubuntu discoverable to the AAO?
    Do you have some references?

friendwilder, Sep 1, 2008
Ask a Question