120GB HDD benchmark

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by DarrenHD, Aug 10, 2008.

1. DarrenHD

DarrenHD

I just received my Acer Aspire One, the model with 120GB hard drive and 1GB ram installed.

I have nearly finished setting up XP, and I ran a benchmark. None of the stuttering issues that the 8GB SSD drive version has are present with the hard drive model. It runs nice and quick as expected.

[​IMG]

DarrenHD, Aug 10, 2008
  2. DarrenHD

YooY

Thanks Darren,
    Where did you find this 120Go HDD with 1Go RAM in Canada? The only version I found is the 120HDD with 512Mo RAM. Does you Aspire one have 3 cell or 6 cell battery?

YooY, Aug 11, 2008
  3. DarrenHD

DarrenHD

Hi, I got mine from my local computer store, Mega Computer in London, Ontario. It came from "SuperCom" which is a computer distributor for Canada. Their warehouse is in Markham, Ontario. I assume many computer shops are setup with this distributor and can order parts/machines from them. My local store doesn't have any more in stock, he special ordered this one for me.

Mine has the 3-cell battery, 1GB ram (512 soldered, 512 in the so-dimm slot), 120GB hard drive, and XP Home Edition pre-installed on the hard drive.

I have to say I am very happy with the hard drive version vs. the SSD version. Performance is very good; no stuttering in XP or slowdowns during drive access. I cannot even hear the hard drive and I can't really notice a difference in weight (but I bet it is a bit heavier, but barely), and for size, looks the same to me, although some people have said the HDD version is a bit bigger. But I would have to have both side by side to know for sure.

I like the idea of Solid State Drives....and obviously would prefer that. But with the slow/stuttering write performance in XP and the small size of the SSD (8GB), the 120GB version with XP preloaded is a preferable option...for me at least.

DarrenHD, Aug 11, 2008
  4. DarrenHD

rjm

Since there is essentially no difference in price, the HDD version is more attractive. The SSD version runs Linux ok, so the suttering may have however have just been an optimization issue with XP. If I was going with Linux I'd probably still get the SSD version. As a network appliance type device, its just cooler to run everything off flash.

rjm, Aug 11, 2008
Ask a Question