10.5.8 install on Acer Aspire One D250 using iAtkos v7

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by bigplrbear, Oct 19, 2009.

1. bigplrbear

itpfreak

update on my progress from yesterday.... I got 10.5.8 to install just fine. I did have some trouble with it so, incase it helps others....

Installed the 10.5.8 update and then it said to load the dsmos.kext . For some reason when I went to do this, all of the kext files were not displaying as kext packages, but as folders. Now I understand that a kext is actually just a set of folders and files, but kexthelper would not load it because the OS was not seeing it as an actual kext. After a little googling I found this.... http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=84892lyly

Basically, something got corrupted with "launch services" and file associations, so from that link I saw this solution....
    Proceeded with step 15 (repair permissions/ etc) and rebooted and "all was good". (I was successfully running 10.5.8, however I still have to manually do the "cpus=1" flag or I get kernel panics everytime.).

Proceeded to steps 16/17 to install the graphics drivers. THIS WON'T WORK FOR ME ???? The installer pacakge runs fine and it looks like it works, but everytime I reboot I am still stuck in 800 x 600. Tried going to Sys Prefs> Displays to see if I could manually set to 1024 x 600, but the only option that shows up is 800 x 600.

Can anyone help fix this???? I have reinstalled the driver pack like 3 times with no luck! Can someone maybe tell me what the indivdual kext files are and I will try loading those with kext helper ?

Also, don't know if this helps or even applies (and I am assuming its cause its not really taking the GMA950 drivers properly), but I tried launch photo booth just for the heck of it and it says "the graphics card installed on this computer does not support Photo Booth". Weird thing is when I first went through the OSX initial set up (after iatkos install when it asks to create username, it let me take a pic of myself with webcam for the username pic ???)

Anyways- on to step 18/19 to try to get wifi working with the built in Atheros card and kismac... drivers installed fine and I rebooted. I did the
    , but I dont see any networks. (I know there are 5 networks right next to me from my other laptop, so it should see something. Also, when I did this I saw the airport icon, so I tried open network prefs and it popped up something asking about it found a new card, do I want to apply the settings.

Here is where it gets weirder (I think).... I kept playing around with kismac and deleted that interface and tried adding "apple airport or airport extreme card, active mode" and oddly enough, this let me do a scan. However, I could only see 1 network as oppposed to the 5 I should. Tried going to network prefs again and still couldnt scan with apple airport method. Went back to the passive as this guide states/ tried rebooting/ etc---cant get on any networks.

I noticed in kismac there is a listing for "Atheros based card" so I tried that, but that gave an error "could not initiate driver...." ( etc---it listed 4 things). I am stuck? Any ideas on getting the internal wifi to work (the atheros card). I know I can swap it out for the dell cards, but I am hesitant to crack it open and do that (plus I'm trying to save the $).

One problem I had been having, as stated in other posts, is that if i did not boot with the "cpu=1" flag, I would get a kernel panic. I did find a fix for this so I hope it helps. Got the info/ method from this page--- http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=89686 . Basically you need to edit the "com.boot.plist" file and add that in the strings. Here is what my file looks like now and it works great without adding flags. (by the way- I couldnt get the plist edit to save with text edit, so I had to install a program called "text wrangler" to edit it which worked. Here is the "working" boot plist to fix the cpu=1 kernel panic.....

Hope the above helps.

So- quick recap for what I still need help on PLEASE! :
    • can't get the GMA950 video drivers to go take---cant get into 1024x600
    • can't get internal wifi to work (atheros card)

forgot above, I think it is related to the video drivers, but a lot of windows/ pref panes/ etc I cannot see the bottom of the window. Even on like OSX86 tools program, I can't see the bottom of the screen. is that cause my drivers are messed up or will I never be able to because the screen is only 600 pixels tall ?

Thank you for any and all help anyone can provide!!!!

itpfreak, Dec 9, 2009
  2. bigplrbear

tophat

"1.Once you've done the above, insert your iAtkos v7 disc in to your USB DVD drive and boot from it. It may take a few reboots to actually boot (this seems to be a BIOS glitch, unfortunately)"

may I ask how many (hundred or so..) times you guys have tried? I have stopped counting, it simply won't boot. Any ideas?

Thank,

tophat, Dec 10, 2009
  3. bigplrbear

itpfreak

I got it to boot first time with no problem ? It actually takes a long time to load cause its a cd and only 1gb of RAM, but it loaded.

I was messing with windows that came on it first and upgraded to the latest version of bios. (1.22) . Maybe try updating your BIOS first?

Also, is it possible for you to try another external drive (to rule out a defective drive). Last, you could try putting the iatkos installer on a USB drive if you have a 4gb or larger drive ?

Good luck! Now can anyone answer my questions above his ???? :)

itpfreak, Dec 10, 2009
  4. bigplrbear

tophat

Thanks iptfreak. Actually, I was only using a USB stick. I get it to boot now about one time every tens attempts but I get Kernel panics during the initial install. I would like to upgrade my BIOS but am unsure if it's safe to do. I'm a Mac veteran but a noob when it comes to anything Windows except for regular usage. Which version of bios should I upgrade to on my D250 (D250-1165)?

tophat, Dec 11, 2009
  5. bigplrbear

rmansfield

I am trying to use an external USB drive, but I cannot get my Acer to boot from it. I get the following:

boot0: testing
    boot0:error

I don't even know what this means. Any ideas?

rmansfield, Dec 12, 2009
  6. bigplrbear

tophat

I'm also using an external USB drive. I tried to upgrade the BIOS from 1.03 to 1.25 but then I get kernel panic instead. Now I downgraded to 1.06 I get stuck in a startup loop...

tophat, Dec 14, 2009
  7. bigplrbear

fdsafdsa

I just followed this tutorial and when the installation finished and restarted I can get to the boot window but when it tries to boot it goes to a repeating

Code:
    temps-Mac kernel[0]: ath_dev_attach[3182]: unable to attach hardware; HAL status 13
    temps-Mac kernel[0]: ath_attach[3623] : ath_dev_attach Failed
    temps-Mac kernel[0]: start [/SourceCache/AirPortDriverAtheros5424/AirPortDriverAtheros5424-411.19.4/src/common/lmac/ath_dev/darwin/AtherosController.cpp:1149] load failed
    temps-Mac kernel[0]: ath_dev_attach[3182]: unable to attach hardware; HAL status 13
    temps-Mac kernel[0]: start [/SourceCache/AirPortDriverAtheros5424/AirPortDriverAtheros5424-411.19.4/src/common/lmac/ath_dev/darwin/AtherosController.cpp:1149] load failed
    is there anyway I can fix this in single user mode?

fdsafdsa, Dec 16, 2009
  8. bigplrbear

fdsafdsa

nvm i didn't check dsmos hopefully it works now

fdsafdsa, Dec 16, 2009
  9. bigplrbear

fdsafdsa

sorry for the triple post but today when i booted my computer i installed itunes and quicktime updates and rebooted and when it came back on my KisMAC "Start Scan" button stopped working. it no longer counts or anything. My airport is on but it wont search anymore. I tried reinstalling my drivers too.

fdsafdsa, Dec 17, 2009
  10. bigplrbear

flat_marty

use this:

Reboot, hit F8, and enter -s

After pressing enter, you'll eventually end up at a command line.

Type:
    CODE
    /sbin/fsck -fy
    /sbin/mount -uw /
    touch /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
    passwd root

flat_marty, Dec 19, 2009
  11. bigplrbear

flat_marty

I think it's handy that everybody says their exact model of this laptop. I see that there are allot of problems with the laptop. This is the list of types:

Aspire One D250-Bw
    Aspire One D250-Bk
    Aspire One D250-BTk
    Aspire One D250-HDTw
    Aspire One D250-HDTb
    Aspire One D250-0Dw
    Aspire One D250-0Dk
    Aspire One D250-0Dk
    Aspire One D250-0Dw
    Aspire One D250-Bb - RET

Myself i'm trying on a Aspire One D250-HDTw. Special about this version is that it has a HD resolution :) It gives allot of problems. I'm trying 10.5.7 first The Welcome loop. After getting tru that problem it just doesn't start up without a external USB drive. I'm trying the Ideneb version tomorrow. I'll give an update about this version of the D250 model.

flat_marty, Dec 19, 2009
  12. bigplrbear

flat_marty

hi people, it's a day later and i'm finished with installing the Ideneb 1.6 lite edition. I've gotta tell you people that this install is working more better than the Iatkos. And on my version of Mac and laptop (Aspire One D250-HDTw) i've got the webcam working. The only thing i used the Iatkos v7 dvd for was to install the GMA950 package and the dsmos package. I've installed everything from a usb drive. Who wants to have a manual?

UPDATE:

I've got the internal WIFI card working with this tutorial WITHOUT SWITCHING TO A NEW ONE:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... opic=23684

i've added this string:

<string>pci14e4,4315</string>

According to OSX86tools i've got a Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11 B/g [14e4:4315] rev0 card.

The only thing not working right now is the bluetooth.

UPDATE:

Bluetooth was working. I only had to push the button on the laptop :)

flat_marty, Dec 20, 2009
  13. bigplrbear

comminsar

does this tutorial work with the Acer Aspire One d150 (5007eg wifi card)

comminsar, Jan 8, 2010
  14. bigplrbear

Guest Guest

hi folks, im new to this whole hackintosh/intalling mac on pc's.

i hope im not double posting, or irritating anyone but which of these update installation guides work and are current? i see atkos and ideneb but been reading alot fo stuff that points the finger at one or another saying it doesnt work or has errors with teh other.

i have an acer aspire one d250-1151.

currently i have dual OS. windows 7 ultimate and ubuntu netbook remix.

i FIRST and for most want a good guide/distro of getting mac on my netbook.

then SECOND, hopefully getting windows 7 or atleast ubuntu netbook remix to dual OS as well.

id appreciate all thoughts and comments. again iam a noob but willing to learn.

thanks!

~ms

Guest, Jan 9, 2010
  15. bigplrbear

chunney

Between step 10/11 if I boot up normal without the -f -v cpus=1 command I still get kernel panic. Why?

Edit: Fixed the kernel panic issue but the system is stuck in 800x600 resolution. I've installed the GMA kext pkg a few times and have had no luck. What am I doing wrong? And could someone recommend a broadcom card that works out of the box in our D250s? Sorry for the stupid ?'s I'm a noob to the hackintosh scene. I'm pretty good with pc's and i've owned a few macs but that doesn't seem to help me now lol.

chunney, Jan 11, 2010
  16. bigplrbear

chunney

So far my D250 is stable with the 10.5.8 update but there isn't too much that works.
    Currently heres the list of things that needs fixing:
    -Atheros wifi refuses to pick up any networks under kismac
    -Ethernet card does not work. Icon pops up in the menu bar after every restart. (possible to disable this device?)
    -Webcam does not work.
    -There are no options for mouse sensitivity and no option to enable "Tap-to-click" (FIXED: Installed VoodooPS2Controller0.98).
    -Video obviously doesnt have the correct drivers as it's locked into 800x600 mode.

If anyone has a fix for any of these let me know.

chunney, Jan 11, 2010
  17. bigplrbear

leardc

I to need some help with the video. There is no option for 1024x600. I have followed these instructions exactly.

leardc, Jan 21, 2010
  18. bigplrbear

jbeck22

Can someone help me with creating a bootable USB flash drive to do this install? I have the iAtkos v7 ISO file, but I don't know how to make my usb drive bootable with the contents of the iso.

any help would be much appreciated.

thanks!

jbeck22, Jan 26, 2010
  19. bigplrbear

Zwolf1985

I have some Problems too istall the wifi-driver.
    I have a aao d250-0dk, and the driver isnt work.

kismac find nothing.

need help pls.

Zwolf1985, Feb 20, 2010
  20. bigplrbear

mongule

Ok I have pretty much everything working with this distro

Except the usual mic, ethernet , sleep/hibernate

but I would like to get touchpad to recognize scrolling and tap to click ? How do I make that work?

mongule, Mar 11, 2010
Ask a Question