10.5.8 install on Acer Aspire One D250 using iAtkos v7

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by bigplrbear, Oct 19, 2009.

1. bigplrbear

bigplrbear

This is an updated version of the tutorial here -> viewtopic.php?f=14&t=16461
    This new version uses a different kernel, and seems to result in a more stable system. Since it's so different, I felt that I needed to create a new thread.

Besides, I'm tired of editing the same damn post over 9000 times ;)

Installing Mac OS X On to an Acer Aspire One D250 rev. 3

In this tutorial, I'm assuming you're using a USB DVD drive.
    However, the procedure isn't much different if you're installing from a flash drive/memory stick.

Before installing, do the following-
    Get iAtkos v7 from the usual places and burn it (it's a single-layer DVD)
    Download the 10.5.8 Combo update from http://apple.com/downloads
    Download the newly revised D250-rev3.zip file I've prepared. It comes with
    -The latest Kismac
    -Atheros 5007EG drivers
    -System.kext, Seatbelt.kext and dsmos.kext files for use in 10.5.8
    -Voodoo Kernel 1.0 (based on XNU 9.5)
    -Kextloader B7
    -OSx86 Tools
    -New intel GMA950 drivers (to fix the -F flag bug)

1.Once you've done the above, insert your iAtkos v7 disc in to your USB DVD drive and boot from it. It may take a few reboots to actually boot (this seems to be a BIOS glitch, unfortunately) and wait a bit for it to load.

2.Go to Utilities -> Disk Utility and format your HDD. Mac OS X runs best when it's the only OS on your netbook (I will not be covering dual-booting in this tutorial). Be sure to use MBR (Master Boot Record) and NOT GUID.

3.Mark the following under "Customize"-

Main System -> Bootloader -> Chameleon 2
    X86 patches -> Decrypters -> dsmos (uncheck 'AppleDecrypt')
    Kernel -> 9.5.0 voodoo
    ACPI -> x86 ACPI
    GFX -> Intel GMA 950
    Sound-> Voodoo HDA
    System -> Apple PS2 controller (voodoo PS2 w/ trackpad is optional, but has a tendency to stop working and cause kernel panics)
    System -> Laptop battery (NTFS-3G and ExtFS work as well if you want them)
    you may also install an alternative language to English

Also, be sure to uncheck "Disabler".
    Make sure ONLY the above is selected. NOTHING. ELSE.

4.Grab some coffee and wait for it to install (~20 minutes)

5.After it's done installing, click 'reboot'. When you get to the bootloader screen, press a key and use the following flags-
    Code:
    -f -v cpus=1

6.Go through the video, cheesy music (if the sound is cutting out, don't worry about it), username, etc.

7.Unzip the D250-rev2.zip on to your desktop. A folder called 'D250' will be created. Open it.

8.Go to the Apps folder and copy all of the apps to /Applications

9.Open Kextloader B7 and drag&drop D250/kexts/Seatbelt.kext and System.kext in to it. Type in your password. Install. DO NOT REBOOT.

10.Go to D250/kernel, open the .dmg and install the Voodoo Kernel. NOW reboot.

11.You don't have to put any flags in. Once you get back to the desktop, back everything up by opening a terminal and typing these commands-
    Code:
    sudo cp -rf /System/Library/Extensions /System/Library/Extensions.backup
    sudo cp -rf /mach_kernel.voodoo /mach_kernel.backup
    [optional]
    Code:
    sudo rm -rf /mach_kernel.original (deletes original kernel)
    These commands back everything up, just in case your 10.5.8 install goes bad.

12.Now install the 10.5.8 COMBO update that you downloaded earlier. It'll take a while.

13.If you got a kernel panic in the middle of the install, scroll down to "GOD DAMMIT I GOT A KERNEL PANIC WHILE I INSTALLED 10.5.8!!11". If it's asking you to reboot DONT DO IT YET.

14.Open kextloaderB7 and install D250/kexts/dsmos.kext. DO NOT REBOOT.

15.Open up OSx86 tool and select "Repair permissions", "Set Extensions permissions" and "Clear Extensions Cache". wait for it to finish

16.NOW reboot. It will reboot once or twice on it's own- don't fret! Once it's done, you should be back to your desktop with an ugly 800x600 resolution or a blue screen.

17.[if you have the D250-rev2.zip file] Insert your iAtkos v7 disc again, and boot from it. Under 'customize' select NOTHING EXCEPT system -> drivers -> intel -> GMA950. Click install. Reboot.

[if you have the D250-rev3.zip file] go to D250/graphics and open the .pkg file. Reboot. *note- this also fixes the -F flag bug :)

18.You should have a nice 1024x600 resolution again. Open up D250/wifi/AR5007EG.pkg file. Reboot.

19.Open Kismac, go to preferences and add "Airport Extreme passive". Now scan- you should see some networks.

And that's about it. You now have a D250 with 10.5.8. STAY AWAY FROM AIRPORT UPDATES. All other updates are fine to install.

Glitches/Bugs/Things that don't work-
    The -F flag causes a blue screen. *Fix- download the new D250-rev3.zip file, unzip it, go to D250/graphics and open the .pkg file. Reboot.

Hibernate/Sleep results in a silent kernel panic. Be sure to disable it!

Rebooting can result in this-
    [​IMG]
    None of those airports work BTW. The only solution is to wipe and start from scratch.

From viewtopic.php?f=14&t=18072
    ^ I can confirm that the above is true- I bought a Dell DW1390 1/2 size card off of ebay for about $12. It shows up as a Broadcom 4312 and is fully compatible with Mac OS X 10.5.x and 10.6.x out of the box :)

Webcam, Mic, Ethernet all don't work for the time being. I'll update as drivers are made for them.

And finally, a screenshot :)
    [​IMG]

GOD DAMMIT I GOT A KERNEL PANIC WHILE I INSTALLED 10.5.8!!11

1.Boot in to single user mode (-s)
    2.rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions
    3.rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
    4.cp -rf /System/Library/Extensions.backup /System/Library/Extensions
    5.reboot with -f flag. You're back in 10.5.7! ;)

I'M STUCK AT "don't_steal_mac_os_x.kext" D:

You forgot to install the dsmos.kext file that I provided ;)

1.Copy the dsmos.kext file to a flash drive or other external media
    2.Boot in to safe mode
    3.rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/dsmos.kext
    4.mkdir /volumes/blah (change as needed)
    5.mount /dev/disk1s1 /volumes/blah (change as needed)
    6.cp -rf /volumes/blah/dsmos /System/Library/Extensions
    7.chown root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/dsmos.kext
    8.reboot with -v

-Edits-
    10/19/2009- updated D250 zip file to include -F flag-proof GMA950 drivers and updated tutorial appropriately (thanks sam.hackint0sh for providing the drivers!)
    10/26/2009- Fixed a typo that led to a 404 when you try to download the zip file. Thanks phandrew for pointing it out! :D
    11/29/2009- A recent security update for Mac OS X can break bluetooth. Download and install the kexts in this zip file to restore bluetooth functionality- http://bigplrbear.com/files/bluetooth-kexts.zip

bigplrbear, Oct 19, 2009
  2. bigplrbear

PhAndrew

"13.If you got a kernel panic in the middle of the install, scroll down to "GOD DAMMIT I GOT A KERNEL PANIC WHILE I INSTALLED 10.5.8!!11". If it's asking you to reboot DONT DO IT YET"

stupid question but if we do we restart and do it over again? if we hit the kernel panic

PhAndrew, Oct 19, 2009
  3. bigplrbear

michaeljr10wv

Did u try disabling them all but the last one LEO added? Repair permissions....and re-boot. When u run kismac make sure it has the port set to en0!

I have no problems re-booting.

Michael

michaeljr10wv, Oct 19, 2009
  4. bigplrbear

sam.hackint0sh

If you broke your kernel (all other necessary kext are usally safe in /extra fodler if chameleon is used), boot your install dvd go tools -> terminal from the top finder menu and copy the mach_kernel binary from your install DVD to / of your drive (mounted to /Volumes/DRIVENAME), reboot and fix up your kext.

To fix the -f boot issue, try one of these drivers, if they work for you:

http://rapidshare.com/files/295043993/GMA950.pkg.zip
    -or-
    http://rapidshare.com/files/295043896/gma950-0x27ae.rar

Start with the 2 kext in the rar, intall via osx86tools and laod them with kextload from terminal after install. Don't forget to delete mkext and maybe fix permissions! Than reboot. Your GMA should work without any problems now. Only try teh pkg ones if you fail to get it to work with these.
    Be sure to load them manually with kextlaod once, or you will think they aren't working even if they are.

If you like your display to turn off if you shut it down, get clampshell.kext and install it.

sam.hackint0sh, Oct 19, 2009
  5. bigplrbear

bigplrbear

RTFP

bigplrbear, Oct 20, 2009
  6. bigplrbear

bigplrbear

The .pkg file works PERFECTLY. I'm going to add this to my D250.zip. Thanks! :)

bigplrbear, Oct 20, 2009
  7. bigplrbear

kn3pp

right.. works nicely..
    but im really stumped at the wifi.. since i have the broadcom4312. Tried just about everything ive found so far.

in essence im at the same place with leopard as i am in .. snow leopard. sans my old time-machine backup since that isnt compatible with leopard(10.5.x)

in the words of Buggy Swires - "Oh.. bugger"

kn3pp, Oct 20, 2009
  8. bigplrbear

bigplrbear

Doesn't work for me- when I scan w/ Kismac, the wireless card shuts off and stops working completely until I reboot

bigplrbear, Oct 23, 2009
  9. bigplrbear

bigplrbear

The over 9000 Broadcom drivers out there don't work for you? NONE of them? D:

bigplrbear, Oct 23, 2009
  10. bigplrbear

kn3pp

nope.. couldnt get any to work.. system finds it.. but alas thats about it, wont take drivers..

kn3pp, Oct 25, 2009
  11. bigplrbear

PhAndrew

PhAndrew, Oct 26, 2009
  12. bigplrbear

bigplrbear

Thanks for letting me know about this- I fail at linking D:

bigplrbear, Oct 27, 2009
  13. bigplrbear

bigplrbear

Have you tried the BCM43xx enabler script?

bigplrbear, Oct 27, 2009
  14. bigplrbear

kn3pp

yupp..

ive given it up and moved on to snowleopard.. since it works just the same for me..

I will post my guide for it during the evening.

kn3pp, Oct 27, 2009
  15. bigplrbear

PhAndrew

hey guys,

i recently just bought windows 7 and fresh installed it over my osx and everything. No other partitions. I tried installing os x via usb but everytime it skips the usb and boots straight into windows 7. the usb is not corrupt because i tried it on my brothers d250 and it booted from the usb first.

PhAndrew, Nov 15, 2009
  16. bigplrbear

osxtothez

I have made some progress with my internal wireless in Aspire One D250 but still not totally working. Using Kismac technique it scans and finds networks. then I quit Kismac and go to Airport drop down where those same networks now appear. After choosing mine it appears that everything is good so far Network preferences shows that it has obtained an IP designation from the router (192.168.102) I can even see other macs on the network and share files between the netbook and the other macs but launching Safari I still get NO outside access to the internet. I can bring up the router's control panel at 192.168.1.1 so I know the wireless is working to a certain point but beyond local network it fails. Anyone have any clues

osxtothez, Dec 1, 2009
  17. bigplrbear

wanahakamakie

Hey, thanks very much for the tutorial. Unfortunately I'm stuck at step 0:

I have a new D250 (BIOS v1.13) but no external DVD drive, and can't get it to boot from a USB flash drive at all - it just skips to WinXP.

I reformat the flash drive using Disk Utility on my mac as Mac OS Extended (not journaled) format, restore the mounted iAtkos v7 .iso, and then run OSX86Tools->Install EFI/Run FDISK to install EFI. I've tried both PC_EFI v8 and Chameleon. I have the D250's BIOS set up to boot from the USB first, and it lists the brand of the drive, so I think it can see it, but it just won't boot from it.

I've also tried using a USB HD prepared the same way (it's a 1.5 TB drive formatted as 20 GB partition 1, the rest is free space), and still no luck.

I have tried searching around for anything else that might work, and haven't had any luck, e.g., http://www.hackint0sh.org/f200/84658.htm
    and
    http://omgili.com/preview/jHIAmI4hx...9ohawwlaWjPscDZFyv_0v7f63JxOIVovKMZp2a0auC1c-

Any suggestions on where to go from here? Is the v1.13 BIOS the problem?
    Thanks again,
    //WHM

wanahakamakie, Dec 1, 2009
  18. bigplrbear

wanahakamakie

wanahakamakie, Dec 1, 2009
  19. bigplrbear

Menifestozz

Hi guys, im a complete noob in guides to install ma cos. However, while searching for possible ways to get the intergrated wifi to work i stumble across this youtube video.

I am not sure if it helps with the new version (i hope it does).

The guy's using iATKOS 5i OSX Leopard 10.5.5.

I hope it helps you guys one way or another.

Menifestozz, Dec 6, 2009
  20. bigplrbear

itpfreak

I got up to steps 10/11 no problem and then started getting kernel panics. Vodoo kernel keeps panicking on me if i dont manually boot with that " -f -v cpus=1" trick. Is there a way to make it so it always boots with that? Or just set it so system is set to always boot with "cpu-1" ? ( I am thinking that is what the problem is?)

It happens sometimes when trying to boot normal, sometimes boots normal.
    Also, one time booted with the -f trick and was ok for 2 mins, but failed
    while spotlight was indexing and I opened a finder window. ( screenshot http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/1557/vodookernelpanic.jpg )

Immediately after this I tried rebooting "normal" (not setting the -f/ cpu
    trick) and immediately got the another kernel panic. (screenshot http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/8505/vodookernelpanic2onrebo.jpg )

Still works ok if I boot with -v. Going to try to update to 10.5.8
    tomorrow, and thinking I should try to update to vodoo 2? Maybe there is a
    way to permanently set that -v flag?

Can anyone help? Didnt have time to update to 10.5.8 yet, will do that tomorrow. Also, anyone know if there is a way to get the integrated atheros wifi card/ bluetooth to work, or do I need to change the card? Anyone have a way to get SL on this ? (can i try doing upgrade to 10.6? I am gonna clone the drive --incase it doesnt work--- and try it anyways, but was just curious if I am wasting my time doing that before I do it )

Thanks guys.

Oh yeah, by the way, I think the webcam is working for me? I thought the guide said webcam not working, but when I went through the OSX setup thing (username/ network settings/ etc), it let me take a pic of myself for username pic ??? I have the "suyin" brand I think?

itpfreak, Dec 9, 2009
Ask a Question