1 wk old AAO with 12 percent battery degradation concerned ?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by alictait, Feb 10, 2009.

1. alictait

alictait

Hi Guys,

My AAO which is now running win xp home with stock ram is showing a 12.1% battery degradation with battery bar v3.0, should this concern me ?

I have been getting less than 2 hrs out of my stock battery with the power saving option switched off on my wireless card, as it is pretty useless with it on.

I have been conditioning my battery since I got it, by charging fully and then letting it discharge to about 5 mins of usage left before recharging.

Any help appreciated.

Ali

alictait, Feb 10, 2009
  2. alictait

simba

hi,

im in the same situation - checked mine and it shows 11.5%.....why is that?

simba, Feb 13, 2009
  3. alictait

alictait

Who knows but Acer aren't interested.

alictait, Feb 13, 2009
  4. alictait

pxharder

Some of the batteries are defective. Contact Acer and they will send you a new battery no questions asked. I had a similar issue with a one-month old battery and I got a new battery express shipped!

pxharder, Feb 13, 2009
  5. alictait

alictait

How did you contact them and what did you say ? I emailed them and they weren't interested, said that the battery was performing as expected.

Just phoned them, told me that I would have to send the entire unit into them for repair. hmmmm

alictait, Feb 13, 2009
  6. alictait

simba

in the space of a day, my battery has gone from 11.5% to 12.4%....wtf....at this rate the battery will be dead in 2 months!

whats going on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

simba, Feb 13, 2009
  7. alictait

dack001

Just read the thread :roll:
    Look:

dack001, Feb 15, 2009
  8. alictait

alictait

Read it again, :!:

It may be easily replaced wherever pxharder is, its not in the UK.

alictait, Feb 15, 2009
  9. alictait

retsaw

I wouldn't be too concerned. Mine dropped by 11% after a couple of weeks, but then it stayed at that level for quite a while. I've had my AA1 6 months now, and it has dropped a bit more so it is now at 83% original capacity, but that isn't too bad since I use it every day.

It isn't good to fully discharge and charge your battery, you should only do it once every month or two to recalibrate it. After reading on Slashdot that the OLPC project choose to limit the batteries in their XO laptops to 90% capacity because it significantly increases the life of the battery, I try not to let my battery charge past 90% usually stopping it between 70 or 80% unless I need the extra run time and I also take the battery out when I have it plugged in to prevent over use of the battery, although it still probably has on average half a charge cycle a day.

retsaw, Feb 23, 2009
  10. alictait

speekergeek

Can someone do me a favor?

I am trying to determine the actual wear of my battery, I have a similar problem with a cheap chinese battery at about %65 wear after 1 month!!

The issue is related somehow to the chip in the battery, so far I have run it for 90 minutes after it reached 0% battery. (4 hours so far total and still chuggin')

I'd like someone to check the battery voltages at various % of battery life.

after running for 90 minutes past its "dead" point I am at 10.028V and still going.

I'd like to find out what the cut-off voltage is before the AA1 shuts itself off, also I'd like to find out if the 10V point is 10% battery remaining, %20 battery remaining, etc...

all you have to do is open a terminal and type "cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT1/state"

Thanks for any help!

Mike

EDIT 9.81V and still going

speekergeek, Feb 24, 2009
  11. alictait

alictait

I'm not running linux m8 so can't help unless you can suggest an xp program ?

alictait, Feb 25, 2009
  12. alictait

Shad0wguy

My AAO was bought back in september, and it has over 27% wear. Is that normal?
    I checked the battery in my ASUS laptop and it only had about 20% even though it is nearly a year older than the AAO.

Shad0wguy, Feb 28, 2009
Ask a Question