1-Click OS X Installation Method (Coming Soon)

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by fletch33, Dec 2, 2008.

1. fletch33

fletch33

[​IMG]

this is based on boot -132 but should make it much easier if they actually release it.

you can follow the progress here.

fletch33, Dec 2, 2008
  2. fletch33

rory

dribble.....

rory, Dec 2, 2008
  3. fletch33

fletch33

you are drooling or it is dribble?

if it comes to life than i think it would prevent a lot of these "HELP ME" threads.

fletch33, Dec 2, 2008
  4. fletch33

rory

i doubt it, half of the threads are asking about how to burn iso's and stuff over in windows, so it would probably turn into that here
    luckily i have a cut down leopard already

rory, Dec 2, 2008
  5. fletch33

weaksauce12

"If" they actually release it? IF?? Oh ye of little faith :lol: The installer is already completed - built, tested, and ready for action! We're working on documentation now and adding plugins by the day. Release ETA is within the next two weeks. I have an MSI Wind, but I'd be more than happy to get together with someone here to create an Aspire plugin. Installation is via one of two methods:

1. Leopard Disc (via a BootCD, using a USB DVD-ROM)
    2. Hard Drive (via a Mac desktop, using a 2.5" enclosure)

The first method is useful if you have a USB DVD-ROM drive. The second method is faster and even easier, but requires that you have an existing Mac and some sort of adapter to plug in your 2.5" SATA hard drive (or does the Aspire use an onboard SSD?). I'll post more details on the blog when the time comes :mrgreen:

weaksauce12, Dec 3, 2008
  6. fletch33

rory

Thanks for the input, nice to hear from an actual developer on the project.
    I think I speak for everyone when I say we would love an Aspire One plugin.
    i would love to say I can help, but no coding experience probably rules me out. If you don't need a coder I can be your helper lol.
    The one has an SSD version, which most OS X users have swapped ot for some kind of ZIF PATA drive, or an HDD version which is 120G or 10GB retail, but again people seem to change them.
    For the HDD users, its probably pretty easy to just plug it into a Hackintosh, but for us SSD and ZIF HDD users, it would need an adapter.
    I'm guessing that like Boot-132 it wont be long before there's a USB stick method too?
    Look forward to hearing more from you.
    Rory

rory, Dec 3, 2008
  7. fletch33

weaksauce12

The way BOOT-132 works is like this:

1. Install a retail copy of Leopard
    2. Install a bootloader
    3. Install the appropriate drivers
    4. Install Software Updates

Leopard can't boot without a bootloader. The Hard Drive install method from within OS X installs Leopard to the hard drive, then a bootloader and the associated drives. When you plug the hard drive back into the computer, it already has a bootloader plus Leopard installed, so it boots up properly. The DVD method requires a disc-based bootloader, so we use a BootCD to boot up to a prompt (keeps the bootloader in RAM), then swap out with the Leopard DVD and install. Once you're at the desktop you can install the bootloader and driver files and ditch the BootCD. Either way, both the Leopard DVD and the hard drive method require a bootloader with drivers (the BootCD has drivers onboard).

I suppose there is one way to a USB-stick install: you'd need 2 USB sticks, one of them 64 megs or greater and the other 8 gigs or greater (both must be bootable). You would install the BootCD to the small USB stick using Windows (there's a method for that available) and then clone an image of the Leopard DVD to the 8gb stick. Then use the small USB stick (acting as the BootCD) to boot up Leopard and install it. Don't know if this would work.

Edit: Bwahahaha, I have the solution. You'll need a single bootable USB stick 8 gigs or greater (pretty much all of the new ones are), a Leopard DVD image (ISO or DMG), and a Mac to do the trick on. Details forthcoming :lol:

weaksauce12, Dec 3, 2008
  8. fletch33

rory

excellllennnntttt!!!!
    I dont know much about boot 132 (evidently) becaus eI have only tried to use it once on my AAO, and the retail disc wouldnt boot.
    ah well
    Rory

rory, Dec 3, 2008
  9. fletch33

MathiasVH

Any news? Like, when will this fantastic piece of software be downloadable? :D

MathiasVH, Dec 8, 2008
  10. fletch33

pink

Yup, eazy peazy. I suspect some wierd conflict between my USB-DVD drive and AAO firmware: I could not get a clean handover from any version of 132 booter CD to my retail Leopard. Cloned both onto USB sticks, and Bob's my uncle. Go figure...

Once it was up and running I cloned it back from AAO to a USB external SATA HD. This was absolutely fantastic help during the wild trek thru the jungle in search of kexts, etc, that actually worked for me to get Audio, Extended-displays, Battery indicator, Sleep, etc. Kernel panic? Boot from the external, undo the last change.

pink, Dec 8, 2008
  11. fletch33

aspiretobeone

to weaksause, do you have the details to install using 2 usb

Hi weaksauce,

Do you have the details to install using 2 usb sticks?

thanks

aspiretobeone, Dec 12, 2008
  12. fletch33

weaksauce12

The new method only requires a single USB stick (8gb or 16gb). I need an Aspire tester though, since I only have a Wind. If there's a semi-technical user who is willing to do some test installs, drop a note on my blog so we can chat on AIM and we'll get a plugin worked out :)

weaksauce12, Dec 18, 2008
  13. fletch33

truxntrax

How are things progressing with the aspire one plugin?

truxntrax, Dec 20, 2008
  14. fletch33

alienmeatsack

Still looking for someone to help with the AAO plug-in? I might be able to help if I don't have to do anything crazy like dress up like a donkey while eating aluminum foil or anything. PM me if you need a tester who has a bit of tech knowledge but not so great with the OSX --> AAO installs. :)

r

alienmeatsack, Jan 2, 2009
  15. fletch33

scotttkd

um...... would kind of like to see some pics of that....... :lol:

scotttkd, Jan 2, 2009
  16. fletch33

bm2

I submitted a plugin, from an Aspire One 150, running 10.5.6 retail + voodoo, drawing some extensions from /Extra/Extensions, and other (more finnicky ones) from /System/Library/Extensions.

Since I didn't use a real email, I'm not sure my submission will be accepted, so I'll post the mediafire link here:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/wyxw3dinm ... plugin.zip

Because this "plugin system" doesn't distinguish where the extensions were originally located (eg. /Extra..) I don't really like this approach. I'm not even sure how this stuff will be installed -- clobbering existing files, or somehow existing in parallel. But, if it helps anyone, then cheers.

bm2, Jan 3, 2009
  17. fletch33

MCJUG

Would the 1 click installer still require a new wifi card? If you guys are suggesting that I will be able to install OSX with an installer kit I think my head is gonna explode! I have been to scared so far to try it and have been patiently waiting for some brilliant mind to figure it out, I can't wait!!!!!!!

MCJUG, Jan 3, 2009
  18. fletch33

MCJUG

Can you update us on the status of the installer?

MCJUG, Jan 7, 2009
  19. fletch33

gastrogeek

[DELETE ME]

gastrogeek, Jan 8, 2009
Ask a Question