1.8 ZIF IDE

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by rjtd, Jul 17, 2008.

1. rjtd

rjtd

rjtd, Jul 17, 2008
  2. rjtd

jeromlenz

One (stupid) additional question maybe :
    on the motherboard, is there the SATA port to plug a regular laptop 2.5" HDD into the Linux Aspire One? (the one I just received with this sluggish 8gb SSD) :?
    I would assume both versions share the same I/O hardware even if the storage differs.

Is there room in the case for such a regular HDD?
    (Why Zif 1.8" HDD only mentionned as an alternative?) :roll:

I would like to plug a 2.5" 80gb HDD (5400rpm) as it is in the Aspire One WindowsXP version (and the MSI Wind) and be able to have decent performance and room for Mac OS-X (or multiboot) setup and use!
    Thank-you.

jeromlenz, Jul 17, 2008
  3. rjtd

Le Tigre

EDIT: what i wrote here was all wrong! there is enough room for a 2.5 hdd (but using the p-ata will be tricky, due to the installed zif connector) and there seems to be a sata port which is not soldered to the board. other forums report, that it would work if you soldered a connector (22p 180° - i think) to it. the drive in any case seems to fit!

i read, that they would NOT
    i searched, but could not find where i read it. think the compact flash mod is a good way and has about the same pricing. like that you will have a changeable device onr maybe two os on different disks (cf1 netbuntu cf2 xplite). installing it under the still dead umts slot would make the whole thing realy like a camaeleon...

the battery life is ok 4 me. (say 2 hours of forum reading trying and reinstalling the os :) ...

no sata port :) and way not enough room!

1. of all: the 8 gp of ram are bit low for fat asses like osx, but (no, BUT!) the disk is told to work propperly under osx... not tooooo slow writing times. so it might work just as it is...
    you could use a 1,8 zif hdd ( @ about 100 € / 120$) or, even better: the great cf-2-zif mod explained in this forum...

_____

but my question:

the hard war monitor shows two ide adapters... could it be, that one isn't in use at the moment? anyone any specs? would it theoretically be possible that the umts channel is the indicated but not found"

Le Tigre, Jul 17, 2008
  4. rjtd

jeromlenz

Ok thanks for the reply - I might go for a 16gb CF then (Zif2CF)...
    I'm curious to see the inside of the Aspire One XP when available with 120gb HDD just to try and install the same connexion/HDD on this Linux one.

And I'll also try OSX Tiger instead of Leopard.
    I'm now using a 8gb USB key with Leopard installed and it's a bit too slow and too big for 10.5.3 upgrade indeed (as mentionned in the OSX discussion thread)...
    I won't swap it to the SDD drive for now but the final result is way sexier and smoother than Linpus! :D

jeromlenz, Jul 18, 2008
  5. rjtd

grabejud

theres already a 120gb toshiba 1.8"hdd around $179, so looks like this is the one they'll plug in the xp version of the one. im pretty sure its gonna be faster than default 8gb ssd. cant wait to get my hands on a zif hdd. if not, will go with zif-cf card.

grabejud, Jul 19, 2008
  6. rjtd

rjm

As far as I have been able to figure out, the HDD version has a 2.5" SATA model, and the motherboards are slightly different in that the HDD version has a SATA connector and the SSD has a pata ZIF. ON the pata zif mobo the place where the SATA connector goes is whited out, so I don't think its going to be possible to ever enable SATA on the original 8MB SSD aa1.

rjm, Jul 27, 2008
Ask a Question