1.8" HDD?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by lotus49, Jun 29, 2008.

1. lotus49

Kev50027

Really, I think you people are overreacting. The included SSD may be slow as hell in XP, but that's because there arent drivers for it. Running Linpus, it runs perfectly smoothly with no slow downs. Adding a hDD would slow down boot up time, and the time it takes to start programs, would make more heat, be louder, use more power, and be more vulnerable to shocks and vibrations. If I ever replace the included SSD, I would just get a bigger SSD.

Kev50027, Jul 19, 2008
  2. lotus49

zk2008

Agreed... and right now larger SSD or CF are too expensive...

I've talked myself into just being pleased with what I've got.

zk2008, Jul 19, 2008
  3. lotus49

grabejud

i dont think the drivers are the main issue of the one slowdown. ran an hdtune on it (8gb ssd) and i got really low write speeds. booting up with xp isnt a problem and takes less than 40 seconds to load the system. its only when you tried accessing sites, running applications, and the drive cant catch up. a cheaper solution is to get at least a 8gb 266x cf card to replace it (for system), of course you need the zif to cf adapter. another way is you can use an application like eboostr and plugin a fast flash drive, sort of like vistas readyboost.

anyway, the 1.8"hdd is really an option for the user who needs more capacity for their netbook.

grabejud, Jul 19, 2008
  4. lotus49

lala

Can the hdd be upgraded like the other netbooks

lala, Jul 19, 2008
  5. lotus49

grabejud

its possible, though i havent replaced mine as of the moment but ive already taken apart my aone, looks like any 1.8" zif hdd will do.

grabejud, Jul 19, 2008
  6. lotus49

lala

Thnx grabe thats good to knw can it view full webpages i asked it in another topic but i figure this one would be answered first

lala, Jul 19, 2008
  7. lotus49

grabejud

love the screen size and the feel on the keyboard. it just feels right.
    i can view 90% of the sites without scrolling to the right, can view youtube without scrolling down. the 10 percent goes to those sites that are for resolutions 1280 and above
    the screen is bright, the lowest brightness is even enough. I was about to ditch this device last week coz of the slow response to xp when i installed it, but then i changed my mind when i knew that there is a work around to it. Ive never opened up laptops since, but this one, i really have to, and now started with the one. Opened it up, check all the stuff inside and put it back and powered it in. now my next upgrade is the hard drive. either a cf card or zif hdd.

grabejud, Jul 19, 2008
  8. lotus49

lala

Ah ok thats good then this is the comp im gettin since the wind has the same resolution and the eeepc 1000h also so theres no diffrence there i like it its portable which it was meant for also its good when wireless n comes out we can switch the wifi card so its all good im just waitin for the windows xp version i cant wait to get finally a decent umpc at a decent price

lala, Jul 19, 2008
  9. lotus49

lala

I couldnt edit my post from my cell phone anyway wait so you cant veiw websites 1280 and above and im not worried bout scrollin down it was more of scrollin left to right and the websites that have flash you can also veiw it like a regualar computer i dont own one yet once the windows one comes out ill get it

lala, Jul 19, 2008
  10. lotus49

grabejud

its not that you cannot view it, its just you have to scroll to the left to view the whole page. flash website with auto resize should be fine.. ive watch youtube and its smooth, much smoother than my previous kojinsha. and the device emits very little heat that you can happily put it on your lap for extend time

grabejud, Jul 19, 2008
  11. lotus49

grabejud

heres my planned placement for the 1.8"cif-zi connector/or hdd, it should fit straight in as the size of the ssd drive.
    [​IMG]

if it wont fit in, then rotate clockwise, and same goes with the zif connector

grabejud, Jul 19, 2008
  12. lotus49

lala

Ah ok thnx so thats not that bad

lala, Jul 19, 2008
  13. lotus49

lala

Ah ok thats where the hdd goes or where the ssd is can u take a pic of any website on the comp so i could possibly see what a website looks on it even if the site needs to be scrolled down i just want to get a genarel idea thnx

lala, Jul 19, 2008
  14. lotus49

Le Tigre

stupid question: why don't you put it to the slot you can access freely via the two screws on the back of the aao?
    like that you could change the "drive"... don't know, if the usual 10 cm of zif cable are enough for that, but it should fit...

Le Tigre, Jul 19, 2008
  15. lotus49

lotus49

I would certainly prefer to leave that space as it is for when we can get a reasonably priced 3G card.

lotus49, Jul 20, 2008
  16. lotus49

elpresidente

So do we need a special zif connector? Because to me, I'd think that if it's a 1.8 zif with an SSD adapter, you wouldn't need to do anything other than remove the SSD adapter and drive and plug the 1.8" right in??? Anyone?

And I'm with Lotus on the 3G card dilly...

elpresidente, Jul 20, 2008
  17. lotus49

grabejud

bad news guys, today i managed to get an ipod5g hard drive, its basically a zif hard drive 60gb, now with my netbook lying with its belly open i was so excited to put it inside. the big problem was the size of the 1.8 zif hdd, its just TOO BIG and thick to fit into the space. even if you take out the screw mountings on the center, its too impossible without doing a major work. ive given up on this solution. So last and only solution(for me) is the adapter to cf card. I guess those that eager to put a zif hard drive will have to wait for the upcoming aone which should have a different layout in the internals to accommodate the hard drive or (at your own risk) do some (major) work around to it.

now my ipod doesnt look sleek coz of the prying on the sides, but at least its still working, to calm down my frustration.. :cry:

grabejud, Jul 20, 2008
  18. lotus49

grabejud

im partially happy today and sad..
    the happy thing is, yes finally the 1.8hdd got detected and theres no turning back for me now that i will have it run on with the zif hdd, the zif-cf adapter we got seems not working and cannot be detected, and since i need to go overseas, i really needed a portable netbook.

the sad thing here is, ill need to cut some insides of aone like screw mountings etc.. to make way for the hdd, the space is just about enough for the hard drive to sit under the board with enough space between them, i presume the small hdd wont generate much heat inside compared to the the 2.5" hdd. so unless you still want your warranty, dont ever attempt on doing this. i have no choice since its the first plan that i have planned since the day i got the aone to plug in a zif hdd.

from minor project, now to a big one..and i got less than 24 hours to do it..if i cannot make it, then ill have to let it sit there for another 2 weeks before i could start back on this project..

grabejud, Jul 22, 2008
  19. lotus49

elpresidente

Actually it sounds simple enough to me. And at less than $400 I'm not too concerned with the warranty. I cut apart cars as I fabricate them...and they cost 10's of thousands of dollars..so this won't even break a sweat...haha. Make sure you take pics for the rest of us. So we know what to cut and what not to cut. I'm sure I can figure it out for myself, but it might not be easy for people unfamiliar with doing so.

elpresidente, Jul 22, 2008
  20. lotus49

webdude12

Which brand is your hard drive? Cause the Hitachi does not work with the stock cable. :?

I have it where the Hitachi hard drive will fit, after lots of work with the plastic cutter, but now I gotta get it where the unit will see the harddrive. :)

webdude12, Jul 22, 2008
Ask a Question