Windows 7 Overall Experience?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by fernsie, Feb 23, 2009.

1. fernsie

fernsie

Hi guys,

I am currently looking for the best solution to get my 1.5Gb RAM, 8Gb SSD AO110 running at it's bestusing some sort of Windows build.

Been doing a lot of reading on the XP side, but wondered, just a general overall view, how Windows 7 has been performing on the SSD compared with XP
    - Would prefer thoughts on just a standard install without making tweaks?

fernsie, Feb 23, 2009
  2. fernsie

Yaniel

no windows install with run well on the ssd without making tweaks.

Yaniel, Feb 23, 2009
  3. fernsie

jackluo923

WIth the exception of windows 7.
    Well.. depends on your expectation. It's much more reponsive than XP on SSD models.

jackluo923, Feb 24, 2009
  4. fernsie

Yaniel

i tried it and didnt like it, much preferred xp with ewf. the ssd has to much lag for my taste. but for an unmodified install, i prefer linux

Yaniel, Feb 27, 2009
  5. fernsie

lowcountryrev

I love W7 on my AA1, been using it for about a month and had no problems whatsoever. I prefer it over XP or linux. It's fast and looks good.

lowcountryrev, Feb 27, 2009
  6. fernsie

Yaniel

yea, it runs fine on harddrive models.

Yaniel, Feb 27, 2009
  7. fernsie

Tamrac

I'm on Windows 7 right now on my 1gbRAM 8gb SSD AAO. And I must disagree that Windows 7 is more responsive. XP is extremely responsive when it's on FAT32 and with tweaks (even w/o EWF). Windows 7 on NTFS is just too laggy for my taste. Takes about 1+ min to boot vs 45sec for XP. And shutting down takes a very long time. I'm running Win7 build 7057 and for some reason the SSD's write cache is disabled and cannot be switched on. Windows won't allow it. I'm experimenting with registry tweaks and anything I can think of to improve performance. But as for now, it can't beat a well tweaked XP install.... even the wifi light does not work anymore. I'll test this for 1 night and would reload my backup XP install once I'm done.

Final Verdict: Alot better than VISTA.... but XP still outperforms Win7 on an SSD AAO. Cheers. ;)

UPDATE: Atheros wifi sometimes is not detected on restart... Reboot fixes problem. But would sometimes still not be detected.

Tamrac, Mar 27, 2009
  8. fernsie

Tamrac

Installed 7.6.1.221 version of Atheros Driver... LED now works. let's see if the card is detected on restarts. Fingers crossed...

Tamrac, Mar 27, 2009
  9. fernsie

ck-

Running 7068 on Intel SSD model. Put a 16GB SDHC card and set 4096MB for Readyboost.

That gives Windows Experience of:
    Processor 2.2
    Memory 4.4
    Graphics 2.0
    Gaming Graphics 3.0
    Primary Hard Disk 5.4

That's right 5.4 for the SSD!!!

Anyway I find it very responsive. Only problem was with the SDHC card, but downloading the jmicron drivers sorted that out.

It ran slowly for the first 1/2 hr or so, and has been very snappy since then. I have switched off the indexing of course, which makes a big difference.

Prior to loading the jmicron drivers, trying to access the SDHC card could actually lock up the machine. Since installing them an hour or so back, there have been no problems.

Main issue I am having is that I can't add the SDHC card to the Libraries. Not sure if there is any way to achieve this. Also I have not tried installing any programmes to the SDHC - I'll need to try that, because there is only 1GB left on the SDHC.

Hope that's some help.

ck-, Apr 1, 2009
  10. fernsie

Tamrac

That's good news, how did you get it to run that fast on SSD? Mine is ok, but can never finish the rating thing since I have this error of not having write cache on. And there's no way to turn it on on my AAO. Maybe since this is the slower SSD type. Another thing, how is your shutdown times?

Tamrac, Apr 2, 2009
  11. fernsie

ck-

I think the key to improving the performance is turning off the indexing.
    I still have a page file on C drive - though because of the tiny amount of space left, it's not very large. There's 1341MB available, and current usage is showing 176MB with Virtual memory dialog box suggesting minimum 16MB, recommended 2284MB.

I'm in the process of compressing the C: drive at the moment. Even while this is going on (taken about 1.5hrs so far to compress the 6.4GB of data that the install took up. I'm hoping that this will give a reasonable addition of memory on c: and not degrade performance.

As mentioned in previous post, I have allocated 4GB of memory on a class 6 SDHC to Readyboost. Maybe that has exaggerated the disk performance speed.

ck-, Apr 2, 2009
  12. fernsie

forumlurker

I tried this readyboost thing but for some reason it's not working. When I plug in my SDHC card, the autoplay window pops up, and I select "Speed up my system with Readyboost". After clicking that, the drive properties pops up but the Readyboost tab is missing. Any idea what's wrong? T_T

forumlurker, Apr 5, 2009
  13. fernsie

moondevil

That happens when the card is not of sufficient speed to meet the ReadyBoost minimum requirements.

moondevil, Apr 6, 2009
  14. fernsie

forumlurker

I checked the event log and the card passed the readyboost test.

forumlurker, Apr 6, 2009
  15. fernsie

jPatriot

Great stuff. i am really enjoying running Windows 7 on my AspireOne, HDD model, as you can see in my signature. i installed windows xp pro for a Disk (legal) that i had. Finding all of the Drivers for this computer is fairly easly. GOOGLE works on that search very well. overall, this is probably the best and the most stable laptop that i have purchased yet. looking to upgrade the HDD to the 320GB HDD, and have a QUAD boot, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows 7 ULTIMATE, Windows VISITA ULTIMATE, and OS X. I am really looking forward to seeing if this works out.
    Processor: 2.2
    RAM: 4.4
    Graphics: 2.3
    Gaming Graphics: 3.0
    Primary HDD Transfer Rate: 5.2

jPatriot, Apr 17, 2009
Ask a Question