Windows 10 virtual machines program

Discussion in 'Windows' started by something back, Aug 19, 2015.

1. something back

something back

something back, Aug 19, 2015
    IBMPC8088 and Ian like this.
  2. something back

Ian Administrator

Handy to know! Well worth doing for people wanting to try out Windows 10 without committing just yet.

Ian, Aug 20, 2015
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  3. something back

Sefie

Thanks a lot! I have yet to upgrade to Windows 10, and haven't had the chance to test my pal's laptop. This sounds like a better way to take a peek at this new OS :) More convenient and I don't need to bother my friend at all :)

Sefie, Aug 26, 2015
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  4. something back

IBMPC8088

This is perhaps the only way to safely use it. Please be aware that the TOS for it and how they collect data and spy on the users still remains in the virtual machine. It is not in effect for your host machine that you run it on, so if you do anything important, make sure you do not do it in that VM. :) You can run more than one virtual machine at a time on more powerful systems, so you may want to do that if you plan to use your host machine as a single-purpose system to run all your virtual machines.

There is still a risk with Windows 10 in a VM that people need to be careful of, though. If you enable sharing between your host system and the virtual machine, Windows 10 can use that to get data in some cases off of your real machine if you place it into the shared folder (and sometimes get around that if it knows it is running in a VM). So I would make sure that the virtual machine cannot connect to the host machine in any way for file sharing or networking beyond a bridged connection where it gets its own virtual adapter and IP (no NAT) because it can try to copy data out of the host area and into the VM, at which point that data becomes subject to the Windows 10 TOS and no longer to your safer, privacy-compliant TOS for your host OS any longer.

IBMPC8088, Feb 12, 2016
Ask a Question