windows 10 optimize drives

Discussion in 'Storage' started by bluesfloyd, May 24, 2016.

1. bluesfloyd

bluesfloyd

hi, guys

was on windows 7, put a new ssd drive into this laptop ( samsung evo 850) used there magician software to help it run better, but did turn off defrag when on win7, got the free version of windows 10 on the above laptop, checked the defrag option was turned off in windows 10, found this image below,

do only let magician software looking after the ssd ????

do i run the windows 10 optimize drives option, or keep it turned off, yes/no ????

ps/ i turned windows 10 optimize drives off for the moment, just playing safe

thanks for your time guys,

bluesfloyd.

Attached Files:

bluesfloyd, May 24, 2016
  2. bluesfloyd

nytegeek

Windows 10, by default, will not run a traditional defrag on an SSD unless you tell it to. As it is, you really shouldn't ever manually run defrag on any drive because WIndows handles it already. It doesn't matter what defrag says about wether a drive needs optimization when the drive is an SSD and you shouldn't be opening defrag to begin with if all you have is solid state drives.

Anybody telling you defrag is a good idea to run manually is operating on outdated knowledge from an era of much older hardware and file systems. Just let well enough alone. Manually running defrag rarely if ever helps on modern mechanical drives, and you shouldn't do at all on an SSD.

nytegeek, May 24, 2016
  3. bluesfloyd

acheno84

Ahhh the beauty of technology advances. The older things like an overnight defrag is no longer necessary. I love Windows 10 for this reason. :)

acheno84, May 25, 2016
  4. bluesfloyd

nytegeek

This has been the case since Windows Vista and earlier in many cases. The people that believe defrag should be run manually on any consistent basis are using arguments that haven't been true for over a decade in most cases. You can't give Windows 10 the credit.

It isn't nessacary because newer drives, including mechanical ones, have much faster seek rates than older ones. Also, unless you are using fat32 for some crazy reason you aren't going to experience the kind of fragmentation that made it a weekly or monthly need to defrag a drive. NTFS, Ext4, and other modern file systems fragment, but not nearly as much as FAT did and the fragmentation doesn't slow modern machines down much anyway.

nytegeek, May 26, 2016
  5. bluesfloyd

bluesfloyd

hi, guys
    do I keep the windows 10 optimize drives/ and samsung magician software enable, so they both look after the SSD together ????
    or do i only have one enabled ????

all the best,
    bluesfloyd,

bluesfloyd, May 26, 2016
  6. bluesfloyd

nytegeek

Do not turn on anything that will defragment a SSD ever. I do not know the specifics of the Samsung software. If it doesn't defragment the drive than go ahead and use it. Do not turn on windows optimization. It was off by default for a reason.

nytegeek, May 26, 2016
Ask a Question