Will restoring wipe D:?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by wastingtime, Oct 11, 2015.

1. wastingtime

wastingtime

I have an aspire one 725-0684 with windows 7. I have the disk partitioned: C: ntfs and D: fat32. If I use Alt-F10 to restore it to factory state, will it leave D: alone and only restore on C:, or will it wipe the whole disk drive? Thanks.

EDIT: If I boot into a linux and use chmod to change permissions on the D: partition to read only, will that work? What arguments do I have to type in the terminal with chmod? Thanks.

EDIT2: Doing a google fest and can't find the answer. Maybe I don't have to change permissions at all. I don't want to restore and just cross my fingers. I have too much on the second partition to back it all up.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
    wastingtime, Oct 11, 2015
  2. wastingtime

something back

If the “d” drive is a separate partition on the same hard drive then
    yes it will overwrite it.

something back, Oct 12, 2015
  3. wastingtime

wastingtime

For the record, F10 restore did NOT erase the second partition on the same HD. I didn't even set it to read only. I suspected it wouldn't, because it has to keep the partition table for PQservice, etc. I did find something to back everything up to. Turns out I didn't have to, but it never hurts to back your s*** up. So this may not apply to every aspire one, but it applied to mine.

wastingtime, Oct 13, 2015
  4. wastingtime

something back

Thanks for replying, glad you have resolved your problems, my understanding was that you had created a new “d” drive partition, and was not referring to the protected "hidden" pq partition.

Sorry for the misunderstanding

something back, Oct 13, 2015
  5. wastingtime

wastingtime

Actually, I did. My aspire one has four partitions; PQservice and System Reserve (both hidden), the one containing Windows (C), then a big one I created for storage that it labeled as D. I was afraid an F10 restore would destroy that partition, but it didn't and all is good.

We can't edit titles, so if a mod could change the title of this thread to "Will F10 restore wipe my partitions?". Less confusing.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
    wastingtime, Oct 13, 2015
Ask a Question