Wifi zones

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Corzhens, May 26, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens

This is actually a technical question. There are talks about a proposal to make the entire Philippines a wifi zone. From what I understand, a wifi zone is like a cellphone area where a cell site is needed to be installed. For a wifi to work, there should be a transmitter or satellite dish for the signal. Pardon me if I sound ignorant on the technical terms. I just want to know how a city can be a wifi zone entirely... and also an entire country.

Corzhens, May 26, 2016
  2. Corzhens

Sefie

I guess they meant to offer free wifi all around the country, they promised the same thing to us, but sadly they didn't keep their promise :p We were supposed to get free wifi spots all over the city and even the country... BIG fat lie. I hope in the Philippines they keep their promise.

Sefie, May 26, 2016
  3. Corzhens

IcyBC

It is an interesting question @Corzhens and not ignorant at all. There is a city about 40 minutes drive from me offering free wifi to their residents, and I don't know how they do it either.

I guess to cover the entire country, you probably will need some sort of satellite in space which can offer a wide range of area.

There is no talk of free wifi here where I live!

IcyBC, May 27, 2016
  4. Corzhens

fcuco

They simply deploy some strategically placed access points, just like your wifi router that you use at home but commercial grade. They don't use enormous antennas for that like they need for cell phone signals. Look at what the city of New York is doing, they are replacing existing old payphones with WiFi hot spots that basically occupy the same space. I guess all the wiring is already in place though, if you wanted to bring this to a remote location that lacks even wired internet access then you actually need a central hub connected to the internet and the you spread the signal via repeaters and small routers.

fcuco, Jun 12, 2016
    hades_leae likes this.
  5. Corzhens

vinaya

My home city Kathmandu also has been proposed to make a wifi zone. Even though this is far from reality, certain parts of the city is already wifi zone. The Nepal Telecom, the largest telephone and internet company in the country has created wifi hotspots, All we have to do is send X amount by text through phone (your phone balance will be deducted) to the company. Then you will be sent password and you can use unlimited internet for 24 hours. ..

vinaya, Jun 12, 2016
  6. Corzhens

acerme2

It will be very hard, if not impossible, to make an entire country a wifi zone if many remote areas don't even have electricity. In the Philippines, you can now find free wifi zones in some state universities, colleges, schools, and hospitals. Making it a country-wide thing is another matter though as some areas would not even make internet connection a priority. Data security will be an issue if you latch on to a public wifi. Speed is another consideration if all residents will attempt to access the connection at the same time. I am happy, however, that rates have gone down considerably.

acerme2, Jul 31, 2016
  7. Corzhens

hades_leae

Technology these days is pretty easy to understand. Like @fcuco said above, you just place commercial grade access points where needed to make the signal strong. This would make public wifi for everyone available because it's something that can be done on a national level.

We can do it, but it's not good for capitalist as it takes away a market that makes billions upon billions. If there was access to wifi every where, people probably wouldn't get it in their homes if they didn't need it.

hades_leae, Jul 31, 2016
Ask a Question