WiFi Router Signals Weak In Work

Discussion in 'Networking' started by BlakeAshton, Aug 20, 2015.

1. BlakeAshton

BlakeAshton

Hi,

In my work we have a WiFi router on the top floor (7th) and its for the guests to the company however during lunch hours everyone is allowed to use it however our department is on the ground floor so our signal strength is weak and usually isn't strong enough for us to stay connected and i was wondering if we get another router and set it up on the ground floor just for us to use, would it cost extra for the company or would it still work or would there be any problems or errors, also if that wouldn't work would we be able to implant a WiFi booster or extender and would that work? Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
    BlakeAshton, Aug 20, 2015
  2. BlakeAshton

something back

You have many choices if you look on ebay for wifi extenders/repeaters.

something back, Aug 20, 2015
    Diane Lane likes this.
  3. BlakeAshton

Diane Lane

I agree with @something back, a wifi extender could solve the issue. Since the company allows use of the wifi at lunch, I'd bring it up with IT and see if they would be amenable to setting up an extender or whatever else is needed to facilitate a stronger signal and better connections. Even though the request would be to the benefit of employees during breaks, having a stronger signal may improve productivity during business hours, as well, and make the guests happy.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
    Diane Lane, Aug 20, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  4. BlakeAshton

Brian8gbSSDLinux

Failing that (if IT Not agreeing) you could get a cheap Wireless extender and plug it in (with a sign "Do NOT switch off) on the 4th Floor... :rolleyes:

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Aug 21, 2015
  5. BlakeAshton

typist88

Ya I agree; getting an additional router or other type of wi-fi enhancer might be helpful. I've been using a wi-fi booster for a few months now (just inside the home) and have found it to be incredibly helpful. Sometimes the signal isn't strong in my room, which is at the opposite end of the house from the router. So the booster helps immensely. No more lagging issues. Definitely do something and talk to someone. No one likes waiting for pages to load :).

typist88, Dec 21, 2015
  6. BlakeAshton

IcyBC

I agree with DianeLane here. You need to talk to the person that makes decision whether they will allow you to have a Wifi extender or helper first before doing anything. I guess you have to point out the benefits that their customers will be more happy if the ground floor has better signal :)

IcyBC, Dec 24, 2015
  7. BlakeAshton

baldyhead

The best bet would be a power line extender. I'm not sure how much flexibility you have with the equipment though. I gotta say that having any degree of signal with that much interference is a bit surprising though. Definitely talk to the man behind the curtain and see how they have everything configured.

baldyhead, Dec 28, 2015
  8. BlakeAshton

mopli

To be honest a repeater or extender are not always the best option. When I had the same problem I also tried a WiFi Repeater but this didn't solve the problem. The only thing you might do is change the position of your router so that the signal can reach the building as efficient as possible. There are some sites that have some guidelines on how to do this. This might help you get a stronger signal overall.

mopli, Jan 11, 2016
  9. BlakeAshton

rz3300

Well I would say that you should expend every option that you could through your company to try and fix the problem for free. Something along the lines of "I can't work effectively" usually does the trick. If that fails though there are a lot of products out there that can help boost the signal and make things a little easier on you.

rz3300, Feb 21, 2016
  10. BlakeAshton

Corzhens

This is also our problem in the office because wifi signals are commonly weak because of the concrete walls. That's according to our technician. It's just sad that our boss had ordered the removal of the internet. His reason - it is expensive to purchase so many wifi routers to afford all the departments in our area. And instead of spending that much, he decided to disallow the use of internet. Some of my colleagues were disheartened but I understand that internet is not that important with our work. And when we really need internet, there is an area in the office for that - the lobby of the ground floor.

Corzhens, Feb 21, 2016
  11. BlakeAshton

djtech

It would cost extra, but its worth the hassle considering that all employees should be able to use the wifi equally well. Signal boosters/wifi extenders, etc. are easily available online. However, a cheaper alternative could be to use optical cables to bring the signal down to your floor and then use a device to extend the signal as wifi.

djtech, Feb 22, 2016
  12. BlakeAshton

djtech

Hey, here's another cool solution that I just read about - a company named Eero has come out with a product that might just be the next best thing to extenders and routers:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/2/23/11095610/eero-review-wi-fi-router-walt-mossberg

djtech, Feb 24, 2016
  13. BlakeAshton

vinaya

You can use wifi extender, however better option will be to get another router with more coverage. A powerful router can can cover over 200 meters will definitely solve your problem. However, having another router will definitely cost money.

vinaya, Mar 6, 2016
  14. BlakeAshton

vinaya

You can use wifi extender, however better option will be to get another router with more coverage. A powerful router can can cover over 200 meters will definitely solve your problem. However, having another router will definitely cost money.

vinaya, Mar 6, 2016
  15. BlakeAshton

Personablue

Its always best to buy routers with the best possible range. You shouldn't look for the maximum speed as every router is sufficient for a tleast 100Mbps, yes, even the cheap ones. And keep the router in a room with minimal obstructions. If you have an antennae on the router then you can fine tune too.

Personablue, Mar 7, 2016
Ask a Question