Who has upgraded to Windows 10 already?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Sefie, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Sefie

Sefie

Hi guys! It turns out i was indeed included in the first wave :) I got the chance to upgrade since the first day of the release of Windows 10! I thought I hadn't because I didn't get any kind of notification, it wasn't until I right clicked on the Windows 10 upgrade icon that I saw it! It says I can pick when to upgrade and s on, but I still haven't made my mind about it. I've heard so many things about this OS, mostly bad things :( So many bugs!

I think I will wait for a bit... I'll wait a few months before even thinking of upgrading. Maybe all those bugs will be gone, plus I need to get a good portable HD to store all my precious data!

Who here has already upgraded to Windows 10? If you haven't... may I ask why?

Sefie, Jul 31, 2015
  2. Sefie

lilant702

I've upgraded to Windows 10. No problems really, but what OS doesn't have its problems. Boot time is significantly better, smoother interface, I don't really see why people wouldn't upgrade unless they have programs that only run on past Operating Systems.

lilant702, Apr 12, 2016
  3. Sefie

something back

something back, Apr 12, 2016
  4. Sefie

nytegeek

Wow, did you notice how old this topic was when you revived it? Anyhow, many people do not appreciate the privacy issues presented by Windows 10. While this is not a technically sound argument for choosing not to upgrade there are hold outs nonetheless. Almost all of it is easy to circumvent by adjusting settings, some of it is not. Updates to both licensing and the products for Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 bring many of these issues to the holdouts as well.

nytegeek, Apr 12, 2016
  5. Sefie

nytegeek

It is better to download software directly from the author's site whenever possible rather than use one of these freeware download sites. Especially if you are concerned about privacy.

nytegeek, Apr 12, 2016
  6. Sefie

OursIsTheFury

Not me, I'm very sentimental when it comes to my things. Why fix what isn't broken, am I right? Windows 7 is more than enough for an operating system, I hate the changes Windows 10 made, from the look, to shortcuts, to paid ads for their default games. It's a travesty. No thank you, Microsoft!

OursIsTheFury, Apr 25, 2016
  7. Sefie

nytegeek

You know that holding out for that reason doesn't usually work very well? I know somebody that held out with Windows 3.11 for Workgroups almost until Windows Vista was released. Nothing worked the way she wanted to and she was constantly wasting time looking for work arounds or compatible software that could have been spent doing stuff she wanted to do if she had just upgraded. I ended up force upgrading her at some point to Windows XP and installing some third party apps to make it look and feel more like what she liked. She was pissed at first, but when she started using it she was happy about it because everything just worked. I of course made a full backup in case she dug her heels in. She was less resistant to Windows 7.

Now I realize this is an extreme example. I know that Windows 7 is still useful and able to function fine for most people and will for some time still. But with ending support, yes I know you can still get security patches but that is not the same as being a supported product, and the fact that Windows 7 will eventually lose it's usefulness as well as be much less secure, nostalgia isn't a good reason to hold out. It isn't hard to get Windows 10 to look more like what you are used to. Default software and games can be removed or replaced. Advertising can and should be turned off. It's easy. A monkey could do it.

Good reasons to hold out may include hardware compatibility, specialized setups based on Windows 7 that would break with an upgrade (industrial machines controlled by a Windows 7 box, etc...), Privacy issues (even though most but not all are easy to mitigate if you just look at your settings), and specialized software development needs.

I am a strong advocate for Linux, and am in know way a supporter of Windows 10 mind you. I just think that a decision of whether to upgrade should be based on sound facts, not on FUD, not on nostalgia, and certainly not because somebody is to lazy to make a few easy changes to protect privacy and make the UI more suitable.

I think however, that when it comes to WIndows 7 you should either upgrade or jump ship to a different OS entirely. Old Microsoft operating systems are not secure and not any better with your privacy than WIndows 10. Microsoft has been an expert at mining your data for a couple decades, they just got more aggressive about it recently. Also, if you do choose to go to a Linux distribution you will still have to make UI changes and worry about privacy settings in most cases. Ubuntu is a prime example of a Linux distribution that is easy to use but has some privacy issues and some UI issues.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
    nytegeek, Apr 25, 2016
  8. Sefie

Corzhens

From the feedback I got, Windows 10 has many advantages and foremost is the quicker booting. And probably it is also more efficient than the older OS of its kind. I am now in the process of gathering information on Windows 10 because there were talks last week that our company is planning to upgrade our computers from Windows 7 to that new version.

Corzhens, Apr 25, 2016
  9. Sefie

sparkster

I bought a new Lenovo laptop recently so I upgraded to Windows 10 in that respect. Before that I was using Windows 7. I've been using it for just over a month now and haven't had any problems whatsoever, no compatibility issues or anything like that.

sparkster, Apr 26, 2016
  10. Sefie

Sealpikachu

I upgraded and hated it :(. All of my games stopped running and I had some serious functioning issues. I had to revert o ly a couple of days later because I couldn't take it. Maybe it is just that I am not used to it yet though.

Sealpikachu, Apr 26, 2016
  11. Sefie

UpgradeMe

I won't be. I just don't like it, switching over has been smooth so far :) Dislike all the pushy sort of approach, decided it was better for a change.

UpgradeMe, Apr 26, 2016
  12. Sefie

nytegeek

Revert to what? Anything that ran on Windows 8 or 8.1 would have ran just fine on Windows 10. In fact most games would have been fine with no changes coming from Windows 7 as well. Unless you went from a 32 bit environment to a 64 bit one and tried to run 16 bit games I can't really believe that Windows 10 in and of itself is the issue. The claim that all of your games just stopped running indicates that you had more problems than just the upgrade. Reverting may have solved your issue, but you never discovered the true source of the problem. You will likely to need to upgrade in the future whether you want to or not. Wouldn't it be better to actually resolve the problem instead of putting it off with a downgrade and potentially having to pay for the upgrade next time?

nytegeek, Apr 26, 2016
  13. Sefie

obliviousme

It took me sometime to upgrade to Windows 10, i was hesitant due to the collective unhappy reviews from those who have upgraded to 10. I'm glad i upgraded though, i think the OS is solid and light and the interface is definitely a lot better than the previous ones.

obliviousme, Apr 26, 2016
  14. Sefie

UpgradeMe

Maybe give linux mint a shot then :)! I did it on the advice of these forums and it's absolutely perfect, great OS!

UpgradeMe, Apr 27, 2016
Ask a Question