Which one should I consider first, CPU or GPU?

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by blackcave, Apr 15, 2014.

1. blackcave

blackcave

I need to buy a laptop for my code development, simulations, running virtual machines, playing games etc. My budget is limited. And, I was able to find Fujitsu Lifebook LH532V [1][2] and Asus K451LN [1] in my budget. The Lifebook comes with 3rd generation i5 - 3230M processor and the Asus comes with 4th generation i5-4200U. It appears like the 3230 is faster than 4200.
    On the other side, Asus uses Nvidia GT 745M and Lifebook uses GT 620M. It appears that, GT745M is nearly two times more powerful than GT620M. Nvidia said something like, GT745M can accelerate pc performance by 6x [1][2]. What does that mean?

I am not sure which one should I buy. I need some strong processing power. I am really confused with this GPU vs. CPU. Also, choosing a good brand is another thing in my consideration. I am not really thinking too much about HDD space and RAM, cause I can upgrade them later, if necessary. Please help me to get the right one.

blackcave, Apr 15, 2014
Ask a Question