When is the time to buy?

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by cluckeyo, Apr 30, 2016.

1. cluckeyo

cluckeyo

When major components burn out, such as the motherboard or processor, if the rest of the computer is doing good, would it be worth replacing those parts? Or is it time for a new laptop?

cluckeyo, Apr 30, 2016
  2. cluckeyo

Corzhens

Our home desktop had a problem early this year. The power supply gave up, it was burned and already not fit for repair so we had it replaced. But it's still working now although the booting is showing some problem - always shows the start up screen that asks for an F1 setup or F2 loading of default parameters. We just press F2 and the booting continues normally. But it is already a bad indication of what may happen next.

Corzhens, Apr 30, 2016
  3. cluckeyo

IBMPC8088

It depends on how modular and upgradeable your laptop is to start with. If it's a slightly older laptop that wasn't subjected to industry-forced changes on the design and you could still service them easily to replace parts on the fly like the keyboard, the monitor, the battery, the hard drive, or in some really nice models the top of the board can be worked on with few things taken off to resolder DC jacks...then you'd want to upgrade those kinds as long as you can and it's cheaper to.

If it gets to the point that even with an SSD, max ram, and all the stops pulled out on software tweaks to get it as speedy as possible isn't doing it due to bottlenecks with the CPU or a built-in graphics card that can't be upgraded, then you might want to build it up and sell it to someone that needs it for everything but what you need a new one for to offset the cost of your replacement, and still make something great for someone out of the old one (or have a really nice backup system you can still work with).

Most of the newer systems are going to be more powerful (quad core vs dual core and ram speeds of 1600mhz on up rather than 800 or 1066mhz instead help to make a difference with the bus speed of the components and the system itself)...but if they are designed to be an extreme hassle for the everyday user to get to, the power is only going to be of use to you for as long as that valuable system is working.

Once it stops working or has routine maintenance problems with the hardware, it's moments like then that you'll wish you had not the fastest or best system, but the easiest and quickest serviceable one. All the manufacturers seem to be going the direction of trying to make ALL of their stuff disposable now from tablets and cell phones to the laptops themselves, building the battery in when NO ONE wants that but them...but the alternatives that still exist now cost a lot more than they used to. So you still have the choice but they've MADE it cost a fortune when it previously didn't.

Personally, I go for the serviceable aspect of it every time because I can bring it up close or overclock and go beyond what the factory spec for something else is on the market, but that too isn't always something people want to do (not even experienced users because when you get into situations where you have to modify the voltage of the CPU, things can get into dangerous territory if it's a first time learning experience that may end up with a fried board instead of the intended result).

IBMPC8088, May 1, 2016
  4. cluckeyo

Jonathan Jenkins

If you have the budget, I would go for a new laptop. Personally, I get a new one every 4 or 5 years I think.

Jonathan Jenkins, May 2, 2016
  5. cluckeyo

IcyBC

If you know what you're doing, then replacing parts would be my choice, because I am kind of attaching to my personal things, and it would be hard for me to let go. Unless, the new laptop is cheaper to buy than to replace the parts.

IcyBC, May 2, 2016
  6. cluckeyo

fcuco

You have to do your homework and get a price for the repairs needed. Armed with that you should take a look around a place like eBay or Cragislist to see how much your laptop model is fetching used and you also need to know how much a laptop will similar specs to your is costing new. While you are at it, see if you can find how much could you get if you decided to sell your broken laptop as it is (People sell broken laptops, nothing wrong with that as long as you are very clear about it, some people buy laptops for the parts).

Between all those numbers you will find your answers, for example, if repairing the laptop will cost you something that's close to the price of a used one it makes no sense to repair it and you should sell it and buy a new one. Only those numbers, that will depend on the age and model of your laptop will give you an answer.

fcuco, May 2, 2016
  7. cluckeyo

Novelangel

I am the wrong person to answer this question as it was posed, since I have used the same laptop since 2008, but I do know that my older desktop used to crash frequently so we figured it was time to buy a new one. It seemed like it would probably be cheaper than trying to repair the old one at the time, so we got a new computer, and kept the old one as a backup system. Well, that old computer is still here, still functions, and hasn't crashed since we bought the newer model. Figures. Apparently we scared that PC straight by threatening to replace it.

Novelangel, May 2, 2016
  8. cluckeyo

Vash

If you are talking about a fairly new desktop computer with still fairly new processor, RAM, graphics etc. components, then it might be the best to just replace the motherboard. Time to get all new major components (motherboard, CPU, RAM, graphics card) if the rig is getting old.

If you are talking about a brand new laptop, then maybe it is also worth it if the price of replacing the motherboard is not too ridiculous. Some places charge a premium for replacing the motherboard. Sometimes for the same price, it is not that far from getting a new laptop, then I'd just get a new one.

Vash, May 26, 2016
Ask a Question