What's the deal with the Chromebook hate?

Discussion in 'Chrome OS' started by martinearletara, Apr 22, 2016.

1. martinearletara

martinearletara

I look at the Chromebook simply as a glorified tablet, but better. I understand it's in-capabilities but it's a decent start especially if you have nothing. Someone said they'd rather use their phones instead, but most people aren't as tech savvy as the people on this board or any other board for that matter. I look at the storage and document issues and I definitely understand its not worth a hill of beans in that department. But it certainly comes handy when you've got nothing else. I believe they made it to be affordable. They knew their limits but made it tolerable enough to own. What are your opinions on the Chromebook?

martinearletara, Apr 22, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  2. martinearletara

Corzhens

What do you mean by Chromebook hate? From what I understand as posted in another thread, the Chromebook is a notebook with Chrome as the OS. Am I correct on that? But if it works like a tablet then it is not a laptop. My take on tablets is that they are the large size phones. I have some colleagues who were using those tablets for their phone so it it funny when they get a call. And in fairness with the Chromebook, I would prefer a tablet with its big monitor for easier reading than my small screen smart phone.

Corzhens, Apr 23, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  3. martinearletara

acer93

I do not think that there is hate on Chromebooks.
    But everyone uses notebooks for different stuff, Chromebooks just give a different alternative to laptops. Some people need it, like it and use it and some dont, I guess.

acer93, Apr 23, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  4. martinearletara

IBMPC8088

There isn't any hate for it, just resentment in its false marketing as a laptop when it really is a type of keyboard-enabled cloud tablet instead. It's very restrictive and limited on hardware, making it cheaper to buy, but less efficient than even some marketed non-cloud solutions. Furthermore, it doesn't let you install or run any other OS as a real laptop would unless you pay close to the price of a real laptop model, and then get stuck with a device that may run linux natively (still won't run windows) and is limited even for that.

The push to get people to upload all their private data to unknown servers aka "The Cloud" so that they have no control over who has access to their private data on their device mortifies me. Who would do that unless they only had cat pictures? Apparently, too many people who don't realize or know better that all their data is being harvested and tracked at that point. And you have to be online with it most of the time to do anything of value with it. Unlike a regular laptop, it's very limited on what it can do unless you are online and signed in to a "Google" account.

As a classic user, it's a nightmare. As a privacy advocate and one who supports your freedom, it's a nightmare. As a custom laptop modder, it's a nightmare. As a programmer, it's a nightmare. If you're someone who ever wants to run Windows, Linux, Apple OS X, or any other OS besides Google Chrome, it's a nightmare.

For manufacturers who want to sell you cheaper and more limited junk devices that they can almost pass off as a laptop while getting and selling your data, it's a dream come true for them.

That's some of why I don't like Chromebooks and would never recommend one.

If you're going to spend money on getting a new system, it should actually be a real laptop with real choices and real privacy and flexibility...not a terminal to Google that they control without your consent after paying for it.

IBMPC8088, Apr 23, 2016
  5. martinearletara

IcyBC

I don't know anyone that "hate" Chromebooks! My daughter has one and it fits her needs for what she wants to do online. My nephew's elementary school used Chromebooks also. I think it is depending on personal's references and what they want to do online.

IcyBC, Apr 23, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  6. martinearletara

Rachael

I love my Chromebook, but what frustrates me is that it's not compatible with alot of programs, telling me that I need to go to the "app store" to download certain programs in order to use things like Excel. I get a little lost because I'm still learning how to use it, and it seems fairly limited in what it can do.

Rachael, May 24, 2016
  7. martinearletara

Brandon Cole

I think chromebook is a nice laptop if it is used for a specific purpose. But the hate is surrounded by the lack of programs that are compatible with the operating system. I personally do not find any use for it, considering I'm a college student that needs certain programs that require Windows (or iOS). For basic uses, like browsing or basic lifestyle management, I could definitely see others finding use for it. But it's basically a tablet disguised as a laptop. IMO ;)

Brandon Cole, May 27, 2016
  8. martinearletara

GearZ

I certainly don't hate them and I think they fill a niche that really needed to be addressed. As a lot of my computing is technical in nature, I need a powerful workstation or at least a decent notebook to get things done, so they don't work for me. That doesn't mean that aren't a perfect appliance for others though.

GearZ, Jun 2, 2016
  9. martinearletara

fcuco

Chromebooks only make sense if you go for the very cheap hardware, there is no reason for buying something like a Chromebook Pixel when you can have an equivalent hardware with a full fledged Windows or OSX operating system.

If you are heavily invested on the Google ecosystem of products or you have a company that uses Google Apps for Works maybe it makes sense, otherwise you should only buy a Chromebook if it is a very cheap laptop. Yes, you can find 100$ laptops running Windows 10 but for all intents and purposes the fact that you CAN install something there means nothing since you could never run something like a video editor on such and under powered machine, if you are going to end up using it for basically browsing the internet you may as well buy eh 100$ Chromebook that has the added bonus of being faster and less susceptible to virus and malware.

A Chromebook is also idea for senior citizens that don't know much about computers and only one to check the internet and send emails.

fcuco, Aug 1, 2016
  10. martinearletara

nytegeek

Chromebooks are just to limited. You can get a small laptop with full features for a decent price, so there is no real good reason to get a Chromebook.

nytegeek, Aug 1, 2016
  11. martinearletara

Fuzyon

People hate Chromebooks for their limited usability but they fail to see the point. These laptops are made for the sole purpose of using Google products and browsing the internet on them, you won't be able to play games or program. I agree that there are better laptops for the price but you also have to weigh in the battery life, weight and build quality.

Fuzyon, Aug 3, 2016
  12. martinearletara

rz3300

Well I would have to agree with @Fuzyon here, and people just do not get the whole idea. I have actually found that a lot of the things that people complain that you cannot do, you really can you just have to take a couple of extra steps. I have had some difficult in formatting with Excel and Word using the apps that come with the Chromebook, but after a while you learn how to get around it and it works just fine.

rz3300, Aug 6, 2016
Ask a Question