What should i buy?

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by glyk, Oct 9, 2014.

1. glyk

glyk

hello, i am planning to buy a laptop and i narrowed my search to this 3 laptops, "Toshiba Satellite L50-A-1D5" , "Dell New Inspiron 15 3000 3542-45104G54GB3Y" and the "Dell New Latitude 15 3000 E3540-5012".
    i search for a more gaming laptop, i know i wont be able to run high end graphics on them but it's ok, i want to know wich one of this 3 laptops will give me the best performance , the first 2 have an i7 but the latitude has an i5 and the AMD radeon 8850m wich is the best video card of the 3. please help me choose.
    Thanks in advance.

glyk, Oct 9, 2014
  2. glyk

Koemul

Gaming performance of laptops depends usually only on the graphics card.

So simply compare the graphics cards of all three laptops and you know which one will perform the best. There is a ranked list with almost all graphics card on notebookcheck.net if you need help:

Nvidia Geforce GT 740M (Toshiba): Rank 122
    Intel HD Graphics 4400 (Inspiron): Rank 286
    Amd Radeon 8850m (latitude): Rank 102

The Inspiron has an Intel graphics card (terrible for gaming), so forget about it.

The Latitude does pretty well in games: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Dell-Latitude-3540-Notebook.105885.0.html (scroll down to gaming performance, to see how it does in games) despite a low voltage processor.

The Toshiba has an extremely powerful processor and a graphics card that's almost as good as the Latitude. See the review at http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Toshiba-Satellite-L50-A-10Q-Notebook.101183.0.html.

However, the Latitude still wins in Company of Heros 2, despite the much weaker processor (I don't have any other comparisons, but I expect a similar result in most newer games)

Overall, the Latitude is the best choice. It has better battery life thanks to the low voltage processor, but more importantly, it has the much better screen. The Toshiba screen can't even display blacks properly, so games (and everything else) will look terrible.

However, if you can find a laptop with a similar graphics card as the Latitude, but a full voltage processor, you'll get even better gaming performance.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
    Koemul, Nov 15, 2014
  3. glyk

rageofgods

hi you guys! ;) so i want to run inventor cad on the next laptop im buying the thing is my budget 900$ isnt helping with what i want, i was talking to some friends and checking the specs you need to run it, that would be 12 gb ram plus a buch of other things but everyone says its better if i get a 16 gb ram laptop cuz on the long run ill need it. here are the specs of the software:

System Requirements for Autodesk Inventor 2015 Windows
    Operating System
    Recommended:
    64-bit Microsoft® Windows® 7 (SP1), Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 ¹ ²

Minimum:
    32-bit Microsoft Windows 7 (SP1) ¹ ²
    CPU Type Recommended:
    Intel® Xeon® E3 or Core i7 or equivalent, 3.0 GHz or greater ³

Minimum:
    Intel® Pentium® 4 or AMD Athlon™ 64, 3 GHz or faster or Intel® or AMD dual core 2 GHz or faster ³
    Memory Recommended:
    12 GB RAM ⁴

Minimum:
    8 GB RAM for less than 500 part assemblies⁴
    Graphics Recommended:
    Microsoft® Direct3D 11® or capable graphics card or higher ⁵

Minimum:
    Microsoft® Direct3D 10® capable graphics card or higher ⁵
    Other
    • DVD-ROM ⁶
    • 1,280 x 1,024 or higher screen resolution
    • Internet connection for Autodesk® 360 functionality, web downloads, and Subscription Aware access
    • Adobe® Flash® Player 10 ⁷
    • Microsoft® Mouse-compliant pointing device
    • Microsoft® Internet Explorer® 8 or higher
    • Microsoft® Excel 2007, 2010 and 2013 for iFeatures, iParts, iAssemblies, thread customization, and spreadsheet-driven designs
    • Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 SP1 ⁸

rageofgods, Dec 5, 2014
  4. glyk

laptoplover

laptoplover, Dec 8, 2014
Ask a Question