What other OS apart from Windows have you tried?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sefie, Sep 5, 2015.

1. Sefie

Sefie

Hi guys! I'm kinda ashamed to admit I have only tried Windows so far, I haven't tried any other OS, quite frankly because I haven't seen the need to. Plus I'm not really tech savvy and I just don't like to mess around with my computer that much (unless it's super necessary). But I sometimes feel so left out when ''Linux'' is discussed, because I have no idea what those people are talking about, since I have never tried it :( I might try it one day though, out of curiosity.

What about you, what other OS have you tried?

Sefie, Sep 5, 2015
  2. Sefie

IcyBC

So far I have used Window and Mac. They are not all that different but just need a bit of time (less than two hours for me) learning my way around. Back in college, I learned Linux but since I don't have the everyday hand-on with it, my mind is a big black hole now :)

IcyBC, Sep 6, 2015
  3. Sefie

something back

Started on CP/M86, then DOS, windows , and linux

Just a user of these now, no longer into programming.

something back, Sep 6, 2015
  4. Sefie

Sefie

Cool, my fiance was also a DOS user :p Lol, I never got to see a computer running on DOS, but from what he told me it sounds like an adventure to have a computer running on DOS. Too bad I will never see one live. He loves old computers :) His family was one of the first ones to get the first computer in that dutch village, lol.

Sefie, Sep 7, 2015
  5. Sefie

something back

Windows is a dos based system itself ,but instead of a text based system as dos was, it's now a user interface system.

something back, Sep 7, 2015
  6. Sefie

Sefie

Yes, I have seen the DOS interface (I think that is they call it) in older Windows PCs, I haven't needed to use the command thingy, I guess Windows 8.1 also has it? So crazy to think people used a text based system O_O I guess I could have gotten used to it if I had to do it. But I ma not so sure, I think we are so pampered with all those graphics and fancy user interfaces D: Could never go back.

Sefie, Sep 8, 2015
  7. Sefie

Sefie

@IcyBC Wish my mother had the same mentality regarding to computers, sadly she doesn't want to go near them... :( I iwsh it could take her one or 2 hours to learn to use a new OS or any kind of computer, lol. But using a simple android phone seems such a difficult task for her :( Which makes me sad, but I understand because she is 61 years old, so for her understanding this kind of technology can be a bit hard. Not for everyone though, my aunt even has Facebook.

Sefie, Sep 8, 2015
  8. Sefie

ryanch94

Started off using DOS as a child, after that I had just been using Windows for many years. I think I tried my first Linux distribution around 2005/6(?) which I now use frequently, I also have a hackintosh install on one of my desktops which I also use quite frequently. I don't see much use for Windows these days.

ryanch94, Sep 20, 2015
  9. Sefie

Sefie

@ryanch94 That sounds so interesting, I want to give Linux a try one of these days, but tell me... is there any kind of compatibility issue if you want to play a video game on your PC if you are on Linux or not? I'm so afraid to leave Windows for that reason, since I do like to play video games from time to time.

Sefie, Sep 20, 2015
Ask a Question