What do you think about Windows 10 (for those who have already upgraded)?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Sefie, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Sefie

Sefie

This question is obviously for those who have already upgraded to Windows 10 :) Not looking for opinion on what they think Windows 10 will be like. I actually want to hear the experiences of people who upgraded to Windows 10 since day one... what has been your experience with this new OS like? Good? bad? is it true this OS is loaded with bugs? Would you recommend a friend to upgrade now or wait?

Before finding out I was actually included in the first wave, I thought I'd be upgrading as soon as I got the chance! Now I am not sure at all :/ I have read a lot negative things about this OS, so I might wait a couple months until they debug it a bit more.

Sefie, Jul 31, 2015
  2. Sefie

something back

Selfie take the risk, I have had no problems.

The trial problems did but the retail version seems ok.

something back, Jul 31, 2015
  3. Sefie

jamesbonner

I didn't really know that windows 10 is out already !! how can we upgrade to that ?? I mean should we have windows 8 or it works with windows 7 only ?? and do we need to buy it ? please answer me :)

jamesbonner, Jul 31, 2015
  4. Sefie

something back

something back, Jul 31, 2015
  5. Sefie

Sefie

Do you think I should back up all my most precious and important files before I go ahead or should I just take a leap of faith? Hehehehe, to be honest it sounds so tempting! I might go for it, I want for once be an early adopter o_O

Sefie, Aug 1, 2015
  6. Sefie

Sefie

@jamesbonner, take a look at the info something back posted, it's of my understanding that all the computers with Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 should be able to get it for free. I got the notification to get it in both my Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 laptop (my little sisters laptop I use when she is not home, lol). But your copies must be genuine, it's of my understanding pirates won't get a free copy of Windows 10.

Sefie, Aug 1, 2015
  7. Sefie

something back

something back, Aug 1, 2015
  8. Sefie

Zalaria

I tried my free upgrade this past week with no problems. All my files were safely transferred over. Though I ran into a few issues. Chrome was lagging so bad, and sometimes the new Microsoft Edge web browser would close out of nowhere. I've heard Edge is suppose to be much faster than Firefox and Chrome though, and it is (to me at least). And then I tried one of my favorite online games and the lag made it unplayable sadly.

Zalaria, Aug 7, 2015
  9. Sefie

Sefie

Awww, so sorry to hear that, Zalaria. I have decided to wait a bit more before upgrading, a lot people are having issues with the drivers that are being installed automatically, so I think for now I'll just have to pass :( Thanks a lot for sharing your experience with us though, reading the experiences of real users always helps a lot :) Not only helpful for me, but for others who are still trying to figure out what to do.

Sefie, Aug 10, 2015
  10. Sefie

Sefie

Thank you :) I still have to get enough cash to buy a portable HD to store all my important files, but once I do that I'll feel 100% safe to upgrade :) Thanks a lot for the advice, your posts are so informative! Actually before reading all your posts I was planning to blindly upgrade to Windows 10 without backing up anything D:

Sefie, Aug 10, 2015
  11. Sefie

GearZ

I have been using it under a VM for test purposes. All and all, it is not a bad system. I can't say it is a huge improvement over Windows 7 though.

That said, right now, it is really not ready for prime time. The roll out of updates has been a disaster the last few days. Those considering an upgrade might want to wait a bit.

GearZ, Aug 10, 2015
  12. Sefie

Brian8gbSSDLinux

Just a word of warning, Folks - !

JUST because you're going to upgrade to Windows 10 is not really a reason to BACK UP all your Files...

YOU should do it REGULARLY to an EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE...

WHY?

Simple - because if Windows goes down - most of you are going to lose your Files - because Windows stores your files on the C: Drive... Where Windows runs...

When you REINSTALL Windows - it will overwrite ALL your Files - while doing the reinstallation

You need to make a second Partition (D: drive) and transfer your IMPORTANT Files/Photos there... OR start doing regular back ups externally.

If you think that creating a second Partition is beyond your current skill level - do what I do...

I find the use of an 32 Gb USB stick to be big enough for my IMPORTANT Stuff...

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Aug 14, 2015
    hashxc likes this.
  13. Sefie

Sefie

Thanks a lot for the info! I hadn't seen you around here for a really long time :O Where have you been? I hope all is well with you! I'll do as you recommended, I always try to back up all my important files, but I'm afraid I will need a USB stick with a really good storage capacity. I'm slacking :/

Sefie, Aug 28, 2015
  14. Sefie

Sefie

Thanks a lot for your input. I am actually waiting a bit before making that big move, I am quite happy with how the things are right now with Windows 8.1, so I am not in a rush to upgrade ;) I'm not even sure if I will upgrade at all, I mean, this laptop might drop dead in the next 5 years anyway.

Sefie, Aug 28, 2015
  15. Sefie

hashxc

I found it really interesting that the os doesn't have a "restore to previous os" or something along those lines. Seems kind of bold when Microsoft has put out 3 problematic Windows releases, that they're not going to have a restore, in the likely chance that someone's machine pukes upon the 10 upgrade. 98% of pc users are technologically handicapped and it better be extremely seamless for their transition or they are going to freak out and start slamming how terrible 10 is and be angry about having to take their computer to get service.

Seems to me that Microsoft is not being very considerate to their less savvy customers.

hashxc, Oct 4, 2015
  16. Sefie

hashxc

Something else you may consider... I mentioned this program on another post, is Macrium Reflect. It's a really simple imaging software that allows you to make a copy of your hard drive as an image file, create a restore media and restore it in the chance your hard drive needs replaced (upgrade or crash). 30 free trial and if you do purchase, it's relatively inexpensive. I have used it a lot for upgrading to solid state drives. Quick process also. 10 mins to create an image and about the same to restore.

hashxc, Oct 4, 2015
  17. Sefie

hashxc

Anybody else feel that Windows 10 is out for free because Microsoft is trying to avoid another xp situation; where everyone hangs on to there os that they love (Windows 7) well past the death day.

hashxc, Oct 4, 2015
  18. Sefie

Sefie

Thanks a lot! So it's really worth the money then? I will check it out when I finally decide to dip in and upgrade to Windows 10, but to be honest I'm having my doubts. I think I will not do it, I'll just use this laptop for all its useful years and then get a new one after 5 or 6 years... but that's still a good software to have!

Sefie, Oct 6, 2015
  19. Sefie

Sefie

When I come to think about it... it does sound really mean of them not to have included such a thing, but I think they did that because they really want everyone to have this OS installed in their computers... like they really want you to! They downloaded all needed for the installation without even asking me or me doing a thing to prompt that. If you ask me that is super fishy, plus the fact the OS comes with a built-in keyloagger... just to check our errrr surfing habits...

Sefie, Oct 6, 2015
  20. Sefie

nytegeek

@Sefie It does not have a keylogger. As I mentioned in another thread what people are calling a keylogger isn't one at all.

nytegeek, Oct 6, 2015
Ask a Question