What do you do with your old laptops?

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by remnant, Sep 25, 2016.

1. remnant

remnant

New devices pop up every now and then and its not very common for most laptop owners for that matter to be using the same device for five years and even two years in most cases. I know of places with old Dell computers and I have learnt that they have a recycling program. You can also choose to send them to retirement homes and schools if they are in working condition. There is also mounting concern about the e-waste generated by these computers and the safety of low wage recyclers in countries like India, China and Nigeria who are exposed to lead, mercury and other toxic metals. Whats your option?

remnant, Sep 25, 2016
  2. remnant

Vash

I had used my Dell Vostro 1500 for 7 years. Well now it is rest in peace in my closet. It is not just old, but probably the video card is dead since the screen will no longer turn on while the system boots. It would probably still be in service if it was still working properly.

I did take out the SSD (I upgraded for it) and now using it as an external hard drive. Anyway, basically I figured it is a little too old and I have made my money worth. So I moved on and got myself a Surface Pro 4.

Vash, Sep 25, 2016
  3. remnant

hades_leae

I understand sending them to old retirement homes, but I don't like giving my stuff away to people, it's like letting slaves eat off your plate when your finished with it. I don't like that, and that's just what it feels like to me.

I'd rather keep them, break them down and use the parts on the inside for other things because I like to build electronics that can be useful to me.

hades_leae, Sep 25, 2016
  4. remnant

IcyBC

I donated my old laptop to Staples after taking out the hard disk. Since moving last December to a smaller place, I have no storage space, and was forced to get rid of most thing, and I was glad about that. I have one more old computer from the sister that need to donate, and will get on it pretty soon.

I think Staples either try or use parts to fix laptops for donation to places that might need them.

IcyBC, Sep 25, 2016
  5. remnant

Elektron

When it comes to old devices and in this case, laptops, I personally prefer saving them just in case I need some of the pieces it still has, it's a good thing to keep old pieces you you'll have something to replace the old ones with.

Elektron, Sep 25, 2016
  6. remnant

rz3300

I am pretty lucky to still be in school, because if I ever have electronics there is a place on campus where you can go and they will erase and recycle it all (or so they say at least, but I believe them). At this point I just have to find the benefits in the fact that it is taking me forever to finish my school, and this is one I guess. Gotta find those silver linings.

rz3300, Sep 25, 2016
  7. remnant

something back

If you are scrapping it completely then removing the hard drive is
    good not only are you saving someone else gaining access to
    your old data but you can still use the drive as a backup device.

Removing your old ram it may be compatible with your new machine.

something back, Sep 25, 2016
  8. remnant

Fuzyon

I like to keep them around for old time's sake but I end up giving them away everytime. Whether it's to family or poor children it always makes me happy to be able to pass on something that I've used for a long time. I'm not in dire need of money and I would much rather make someone's day than gaining a few bucks.

Fuzyon, Sep 25, 2016
  9. remnant

SirJoe

I still have all the computers that I have built and bought. That has helped me in the past when my previous laptop had a problem and shorted the motherboard. I simply went and got the previous computer I had and used it until I got a new one.

SirJoe, Sep 25, 2016
  10. remnant

fcuco

I usually use my devices for so long that when the time comes to replace them they are pretty much obsolete so donating them is not an option, I would be basically giving people an useless device. I cannibalize old Desktops for pieces and with laptops I usually use them to test drive different operating systems. I guess this happens when you hold onto the same machine for 10 years or so. A couple of my devices went right into the trash bin as they basically fried.

fcuco, Sep 26, 2016
  11. remnant

Corzhens

I think we already had 3 old laptops but I don't remember giving it away. The first 2 were antiquated laptops that have no use anymore since new software wouldn't run on them. But the 3rd one was quite okay with the spreadsheet and word processor. I really don't remember much and maybe we have discarded that because of the faulty battery. That is the usual defect of the old laptops - the weakening of battery.

Corzhens, Sep 28, 2016
  12. remnant

cluckeyo

When I retired my first laptop, I gave it to Goodwill. It had issues that I am not sure were even resolvable, but I gave them a shot at it. The one I just retired, was still good but needed a better operating system. I gave it to someone who really needed a better computer. We installed the new os and she now has a nice system, running Windows 7, whereas before she had an old desktop clunker running XP.

cluckeyo, Oct 2, 2016
  13. remnant

Karen Gordon

The last time I had non functional laptops, we just left them at the laptop store to use for parts. They couldn't be regenerated, so there was no point in me keeping them any longer. I just think that the choice of what to do with these laptops should be up to you. It is just the method that differs among people. Just remove sensitive information first.

Karen Gordon, Oct 2, 2016
  14. remnant

vinaya

I always use my devices, including laptop, until it dies. Once the laptop is dead, it cannot be reused.I take out the parts that can be used and discard the remain parts.

vinaya, Oct 2, 2016
  15. remnant

Vash

Laptop parts are often quite specifically made for each model. My old Vostro 1500 for example, its motherboard could only take two specific models of graphics cards. So the graphics card from this laptop also can't be used in newer laptop. Same goes for CPU, memory, etc. If the laptop is indeed "old", then the newer laptops would have newer motherboard for newer ... everything. Older components simply can't be plugged in any more. It is even true for desktop computers but to a lesser degree. When the newer stuff are a generation ahead, all the old components are no longer usable.

Vash, Oct 5, 2016
  16. remnant

Elektron

That's what I hate the most about it, the fact you cannot modify your laptop however you like just kills me, for real, I feel as a slave with it, lmao.

Elektron, Oct 5, 2016
  17. remnant

acerme2

Our family's old laptop is still working but has become too slow for our daily use. My mom is quite sentimental about it and would not want to give it away. For her, it's like turning your back on someone who has been with you through thick and thin. Her attitude is the reason why we have so many junks around the house, like 3 old, non-working refrigerators. She turned the last broken refrigerator into a cabinet where she dumped our outgrown clothes.

acerme2, Oct 14, 2016
Ask a Question