What am I missing with a Chromebook?

Discussion in 'Google Chromebook' started by Diane_H, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Diane_H

Diane_H

I purchased an HP Chromebook, two months ago, and it's taken me a little bit of time to learn the file system and programs or apps that are installed on the Chromebook. I have a little time during the summer that I can work with it more and get it set up the way I want it to be for the fall semester.

To that end, do you know of any standard programs or 'apps' that Chromebooks don't come with that they really should installed across the board?

I've enabled or added the google docs set up; netflix; hulu; a text editor because I'm studying python, html, and R; and the "Read it Fast" - but that's it.

Any recommendations?

Diane_H, Jun 14, 2015
  2. Diane_H

fcuco

Depending on your Chromebook model you may be able to install Android apps, so take a look if you can. You can still explore the Web Store, it is so full of stuff that I find it hard to recommend something but if you are really into programming what you should really do is install Linux on your Chromebook, the process is not that complicated and you simply follow some instructions, after that you will have both Chrome OS and Linux running on your Chromebook and you can switch between the 2 at real time (no restart required). This is what I do, I leave the Chrome OS install clean and if I need more power to do more complex stuff I fire up Linux and switch.

fcuco, Aug 16, 2016
  3. Diane_H

Kojack

The only thing not working right now is Apple music. I think most anything else can be accessed via a Chromebook. I think microsoft's apps and software work via android apps now. It's a cool system for sure!

Kojack, Nov 6, 2017
Ask a Question