Were you aware of this?

Discussion in 'Android' started by Sefie, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Sefie

Sefie

Looks like us, Android users might be in danger, all thanks to a vulnerability in the system! If you want to find out more about it, please check the link!

''In July 2015, security company Zimperium announced that it had discovered a "unicorn" of a vulnerability inside the Android operating system. More details were publicly disclosed at the BlackHat conference in early August — but not before headlines declaring that nearly a billion Android devices could potentially be taken over without their users even knowing it.

So what is "Stagefright"? And do you need to worry about it?

What is Stagefright?

"Stagefright" is the nickname given to a potential exploit that lives fairly deep inside the Android operating system itself. The gist is that a video sent via MMS (text message) could be theoretically used as an avenue of attack through the libStageFright mechanism (thus the "Stagefright" name), which helps Android process video files. Many text messaging apps — Google's Hangouts app was specifically mentioned — automatically process that video so it's ready for viewing as soon as you open the message, and so the attack theoretically could happen without you even knowing it.

Because libStageFright dates back to Android 2.2, hundreds of millions of phones contain this flawed library.''

http://www.androidcentral.com/stagefright

Sefie, Oct 7, 2015
    Diane Lane likes this.
  2. Sefie

nytegeek

This has been patched. Yet another reason not to use a rooted or unpatched device. Keep it current folks. It doesn't matter what OS you use it is exploitable.

nytegeek, Oct 7, 2015
    Diane Lane likes this.
  3. Sefie

IcyBC

It is good to know the vulnerability of Android and that it has been patched! It is funny that I live in a house with divided Android/Window and Mac/iPhone users, so I am always grateful to know and learn on both spectrum.

IcyBC, Oct 8, 2015
  4. Sefie

Sefie

I actually wish we were that diverse in my home :( iI don't have experience with Mac, other than the things my friends tell me and what I have noticed they have experienced. It's always good to know a little bit of everything though :)

Sefie, Oct 9, 2015
  5. Sefie

Sefie

Are all the devices patched now? Or is it true what I heard about just certain models being considered? I'm curious, because my device also runs on Android. I'm so glad I didn't root my phone :) For once I made the right decision, lol.

Sefie, Oct 9, 2015
  6. Sefie

nytegeek

It wasn't a device issue, it was an OS issue. I can't imagine a device manufacturer holding back a security patch of this nature unless for some reason your device is no longer supported.

nytegeek, Oct 10, 2015
  7. Sefie

Sefie

I know it wasn't device related, I never said that. I might not be a tech, but I understand well what I read. As far as I know not all devices are patched, and no it doesn't mean they are holding back, they are just working on it (I want to believe they are). Just in case, here is a list with all the devices already patched: http://www.androidcentral.com/list-devices-stagefright-patches Mine is in the list.

Sefie, Oct 11, 2015
  8. Sefie

nytegeek

I'll have to dig up a link for you. That list is already outdated as it was published in August. Most if not all devices actually affected by this have been patched with the exception of some pretty old devices.

nytegeek, Oct 11, 2015
    Sefie likes this.
  9. Sefie

cheryllei9h

I haven't heard of this. I got a used unlocked phone. Hope it's not in danger. I am thinking about getting another one soon though.

cheryllei9h, Oct 24, 2015
  10. Sefie

sparkster

Well, it's good news that this has been patched and that's why it's always important to keep your device(s) updated. All the updates may be annoying but they are important to your security and the functioning of your device. As someone who knows how to code Android apps, I do know that Android is exploitable quite easily in many ways. It's good that Google are on top of this after what happened recently with Apple!

sparkster, Oct 24, 2015
  11. Sefie

thess

This doesn't surprise me. All operating systems are like this. Nothing is 100% secure.

thess, Oct 29, 2015
  12. Sefie

nytegeek

Everything is exploitable. Just in different ways.

nytegeek, Oct 30, 2015
  13. Sefie

dungnvph03125

Android and that it has been patched! It is funny that I live in a house with divided Android/Window and Mac/iPhone users

dungnvph03125, Nov 16, 2015
  14. Sefie

nytegeek

Sorry, did you forget part of that sentence? What were you trying to say?

nytegeek, Nov 17, 2015
Ask a Question