Were you always an android user or a new fan?

Discussion in 'Android' started by CasualGoofy, Mar 18, 2016.

?

Which are you?

1. Android all the way!

11 vote(s)
    61.1%
  2. Was ios then android user

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Windows first then android

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. I am/was yoyo between all platforms!

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  5. None of the above/I have a much more creative answer ;D

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  1. CasualGoofy

CasualGoofy

The real timeline of my smartphone usage would be iPhone first generation. Then I was on a Xperia phone till it finally croaked. Now I'm on iPhone 4 which had a *weird story to it.
    I miss android as phone but not the google play store that much. I still use android as tablet.

So what kind of an android user are you?

*a bit off-topic detail: Let's just say I didn't plan on buying it. And it was partly buyer's remorse due to I was asked to get it on eBay for someone. Then I never got paid back.

CasualGoofy, Mar 18, 2016
  2. CasualGoofy

hafiz93

I'm using an Android currently but I'm not really an outright fan of it. I'm a fan of whichever has the best functionality and has a reasonable cost. So far, Android has served me on all of those purposes so right now I'm an Android guy.

hafiz93, Mar 18, 2016
    hades_leae likes this.
  3. CasualGoofy

Corzhens

I'm an android user simply because I couldn't afford an iPhone. There was a time that I was offered a cheap iPhone by my nephew when we visited him in Hongkong. But when we tested the phone, it was a fake iPhone and the operating system is android. My first android was a gift from a friend and the second is a Samsung S3 that was also a gift. When that Samsung broke down (cannot be charged by itself) I bought another Samsung, a J7 this time. So I am an Android user through and through.

Corzhens, Mar 18, 2016
  4. CasualGoofy

Dilof

I've used both iOS and Android and I really prefer Android for some unknown reason; I've always thought it runs and responds much faster but it may just be in my head.

Dilof, Mar 18, 2016
  5. CasualGoofy

IcyBC

I am using iPhone 5 at the moment and it has its own disadvantages, such as limited storage, yes I can buy more storage but I didn't want to. I had Android phone before and I love the fact that I can use a mini card to hold my photos and whatever. All new Android phones are now just as expensive as the Apple phones. If giving a choice, I think I would pick Android for the purpose stated above.

IcyBC, Mar 20, 2016
  6. CasualGoofy

acer93

Well, firstly I was a blackberry fan. And I could still go back if I could.
    But I don't have anything against Android either, love it, it's smart, easy to use and widely supported - not like blackberry :(.

acer93, Mar 20, 2016
  7. CasualGoofy

Sefie

My first smart phone was an Android :) I still have it and use it (yes, I didn't really use a mobile until recently). I love it. I'd never use a iOS device because of all the limitations set by Apple. I don't see myself ever reverting to that :p Android is awesome!

Sefie, Mar 20, 2016
  8. CasualGoofy

rz3300

I have always been an Android user and I have grown to love it, and I operate under the old law of "if it ain't broke don't try and fix it" and so I cannot see myself switching anytime soon. I did go Apple for about two months a couple of years back just out of curiosity but I decided to go back just mostly for comfort and familiarity. I am set and happy and I hope that that continues.

rz3300, Mar 20, 2016
  9. CasualGoofy

IBMPC8088

WebOS fan before any of the android or iphone ruckus. The basic phones were nice enough. Android is alright if you compare it to iPhone, but I don't use either one for anything serious since neither one is really safe to use. I was a unix, cp/m, dos, and os/2 fan before Windows, so a lot of the survey questions don't make much sense to me.

IBMPC8088, Mar 20, 2016
  10. CasualGoofy

sparkster

I've pretty much always been an Android user, although I have tried iOS. I haven't tried a Windows smartphone yet though. I definitely prefer Android over iOS but there are things which frustrate me about both of them. Obviously, I've never used a Windows phone so can't really compare Windows to Android or iOS. To be quite honest, I begrudge ever buying anything from Apple, they are too crafty and manipulative.

sparkster, Mar 20, 2016
  11. CasualGoofy

Charles Franklin

I have always been an Android user because it fit my lifestyle. I was a Google fan (or rather Google smartly manipulated me into using more of their products and willingly took the bait) and the price was cheap. What more could you ask from a consumer. Even though I worked in tech support, I might have come across 10 Mac cases over two years. Those experience left me a little too intimidated (along with the price) to consider an iPhone.

I never really even considered the Windows Phone weirdly.

Charles Franklin, Mar 20, 2016
  12. CasualGoofy

nytegeek

It is important to remember that Android is only an operating system, not a phone. I have generally picked my phones by the hardware, price, and carrier deals, not by the operating system. I have had iPhones, Windows Phones, and various phones that utilize Android. I have had really terrible phones that ran Android and really good ones. The device hardware is more of an impact than the OS unless you are speaking of available app selection, and even that can be limited by the hardware in the case of devices that run Android. Also Android and iOS (operating system on iPhones) are Unix like systems. They are very similar in how they work even though they look different. I prefer Android as the OS goes. Android has more customization and it isn't a closed ecosystem like iOS. Just remember, You DON'T have an android phone. It doesn't exist. With the multitude of devices that run Android it is best to learn about the specifics of yours and how they actually stack up against other devices.

nytegeek, Mar 25, 2016
    CasualGoofy likes this.
  13. CasualGoofy

CasualGoofy

It may have been too casual of me to use the term android fan. Because android isn't a phone, that's why I word , "android as phone". If you were worried, then I'll assure you I'm aware the device runs it.

It is great that you remind that both OS are actually similar, but the user experience didn't feel that way. There is more freedom with using a device run Android. On iPad, it still feels like being in child safe playpen.

If I tell someone that my device is water proof, drop proof, can do all strange things, or have feature filled launcher, they won't say, "I didn't know Mac/IOS does that". So they also differ in reputation.

Not everyone dives into details that they liked it because of which specifications. As this is the forum subcategory "android", that's why I meant to ask have they always utilized a device or two with that OS. Writing in that fashion is a little garrulous. Which is also not the way I converse in real life.

Basically, don't worry! I know I don't have an android tablet in literal sense.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

CasualGoofy, Mar 25, 2016
  14. CasualGoofy

UpgradeMe

I started with an iphone, but back in the day, you couldn't send picture messages cuz the phone didn't support it -_- that made me switch over real fast

UpgradeMe, Mar 26, 2016
  15. CasualGoofy

IBMPC8088

A lot of consumers think of a phone based on its naming convention, but that's what marketing does. People often start to look at a type of phone by what it's called, rather than what it is, and it takes some time for the public to unlearn that once they know better. During the 90's I had to endure people calling machines "windows computers" and just had to smile and nod because I knew they wouldn't understand if I tried to tell them it could run several other operating systems they'd never use or care to know about lol

There is a common base os for many of these devices, but they are changed to where they are no longer the base system anymore for user mode applications. Android hardware is (usually) unix-based, like Apple's Darwin was BSD-based...but despite Apple's OS X being based off of BSD, it does not natively run BSD programs like it did before due to the heavy modifications and all that has been changed with it since.

You can still use assembler to write an OS or program to run on the system in place of an OS for it since it will execute natively, but you have to account for hardware changes and differences between embedded systems and traditional hardware if you do. Trying to compile things intended to run on a different machine type using the same instruction set but different architecture can run into problems or not work at all if it can't read or write to address spaces that don't exist between different system types. Neither Android nor iOS are really BSD or unix, even though you can modify the firmware of both and most android devices to run a true unix like system (such as linux) or another operating system. Android itself rarely if ever lets the user reach the actual system it runs overtop of, since it uuses a java-based dalvik system (which is close to java, but here again, not quite the same as sun java or the former Microsoft java that windows systems used in the past).

I still kind of miss webOS. It was easy and cheesy, but it was a closed system and worked well for what it did. Not too many people tried to hack those like they do the phones of today in larger amounts now that everyone has one.

IBMPC8088, Mar 28, 2016
  16. CasualGoofy

Fermin420

At first I simply couldn't afford and iPhone really so I had to convince myself android was a better choice, but then I started getting more into programming and android really started to look like the fit for me. Now I don't even want an iphone its way to restricted for me, thats pretty much the only reason I have, not performance nor anything else, I just enjoy the freedom android gives me.

Fermin420, Mar 30, 2016
  17. CasualGoofy

CasualGoofy

Effective marketing in action! I don't foresee the unlearning being soon. Just like saying "I googled it". Google turned into a transitive verb for using the search engine.

... windows computers... I'm not sure if I've heard of it. Plus it sounds nearly as bad as "microsoft ipad". Microsoft came out with tablet pc before iPad came up. It seemed like they had the idea (screen that you use a stylus on it), that wasn't executed right. Admittedly, they were bulky, pricey, aspiring laptop hybrids and .... a far cry from looking cool.

Despite that general consumers don't know either OS in detail - people still manage to be divided by the two ..... main contenders let's just say. Note the Android vs iOS fan-wars on comment pages.

Maybe before, there wasn't as much point to hacking a webOS or symbian. All I did was make calls and use camera feature ( and then I had to constantly clear the puny storage on them). Now, people would do their banking and then some on their phones.

CasualGoofy, Apr 2, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  18. CasualGoofy

martinearletara

Like most people, I started out as a Window users through the 90's and early 2000's. Then when iPhone came out, I just couldn't afford it. I could barely afford a cheap smartphone. So when Android arrived, I took to it like water. Then I started using everything Android and Chrome. I haven't had a problem since. And I definitely haven't swayed from it.

martinearletara, Apr 22, 2016
  19. CasualGoofy

psanch

I don't know if I count as a new fan because I've been using a smartphone for less than two years now. I went straight to the Android and I don't think I want to shift to iOS. I've used it on a couple of friends' phones and don't feel like I'd make a switch.

psanch, May 19, 2016
  20. CasualGoofy

KLK3

I am more comfortable using the Android operating system than the iOS system. For me the Android system seems more user friendly. My family members have iphones and I have tried to play around with them to see if I like that operating system and I find it hard to navigate. Of course that could be because I have always used Android and I am just not familiar with iOS.

KLK3, May 27, 2016
Ask a Question