Water cooled or air?

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by Livvy, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Livvy

Livvy

So, which of these two methods of keeping your overclocked computer from overheating do you prefer? There's obviously a bit of risk with the water cooled systems if installed incorrectly because...you know, electronics+water=bad. On the other hand however, water cooled is probably the system which will work best if I remember right.

However, what's your views on this?

Livvy, Jul 22, 2014
  2. Livvy

kirk

water cooler i like cause there no noise. I have a stock CPU fan right now it's loud. want to switch to water cooler.

kirk, Jul 29, 2014
  3. Livvy

kirk

it not water it's mineral oil you get

kirk, Jul 29, 2014
  4. Livvy

kirk

colored stuff too. or glow in the dark.

kirk, Jul 29, 2014
  5. Livvy

LilAnn

I'm using air, but i want water cooled. The air cooling just doesn't cut it sometimes.

LilAnn, Jun 7, 2015
  6. Livvy

Connie858

I have used both and much prefer the 'watercooling'. As stated above it is much quieter and when you live in a quiet house and don't have much noise around you, watercooling makes much more sense if you happen to like life quiet! And to be honest, there is little chance of anything going wrong once it is installed because it is inside a hard case (of the computer) and there is nothing other than air and dust that can get into the case. (OK ants might and the odd spider but if they manage to damage the watercooling before something else then you really are in trouble!)

Connie858, Jun 8, 2015
  7. Livvy

LilAnn

I'm going to have to look into the water coolant when I upgrade. Just the basic idea sounds better than a small, weak fan.

LilAnn, Jun 11, 2015
  8. Livvy

Connie858

It only applies to desktops, not laptop. You need the space inside the desktop and it does still use a fan, just one that is used to circulate the mineral oil around which also has to lose heat into the surrounding area often via another (quiet) fan, so it is not fanless or nor applicable for laptops.

Connie858, Jun 11, 2015
    LilAnn likes this.
  9. Livvy

LilAnn

Thank you for the info! If you know someone who is computer saavy, can it be installed in an older computer? The desktop I'm looking at right now is about 5 or 6 years old. It ran Vista, and someone wiped it out. Now the only things I'll need is Vista or higher, and a video card. It used to be a gaming computer, if that means anything.

LilAnn, Jun 12, 2015
  10. Livvy

Connie858

There is no reason as to why it could not be, if it has the space inside. Oil/water cooling has been around for decades and it is simply a case of working out what is needed for your case and CPU fan. So you will have to know what type CPU you have, and match the fan to that - it has to be able to clamp onto the CPU.

We would need make and model of at the very minimum the desktop itself. Ideally the motherboard make and model, usually written on it somewhere, though never really that easy to find. Is the machine operational at all? Can you get into the BIOS? If you can, you may be able to get the make and model of motherboard from there, though its a longshot really.

Connie858, Jun 12, 2015
  11. Livvy

LilAnn

I'm married just so I wouldn't ha e to know anything haha
    Thank you! I'm going to talk to my husband a out getting it done!

LilAnn, Jun 18, 2015
  12. Livvy

Lun

I never used watercooling but I might think of doing so if I find my budget allowing me to. I usually don't care about noise, and I never intend to risk damaging my components by doing any overclocking, so stock fans are usually enough for me. Watercooling does seem.. cooler though, if you know what I mean. ;D

Also if I understand correctly, watercooled computers usually perform much better because the components are at lower temperature than air cooled computers.

Lun, Jun 19, 2015
  13. Livvy

Gurpreet Bhatia

Water cooling because it’s more effective at cooling than fans, but mostly used in PC's. In market, liquid cooling system for a laptop is also available.

Gurpreet Bhatia, Aug 12, 2015
  14. Livvy

RageGamingZone

I have a water cooled desktop computer that cools both the processor and the GPU. It is a great investment because it is very effective and its a great protection for your components since it can insure they wont overheat. I can also add that it is also a challenging and fun process to build it from scratch and enjoy the results when fully built :)

RageGamingZone, Aug 12, 2015
  15. Livvy

Snakevenom

Water coolers are more expensive and potentially require more maintenance but they are also significantly more quiet. Air cooling is sufficient but may not work as well and may be louder, but then again it is cheaper. It really depends on how much you want to pay and what you would prefer, a silent or quiet system.

Snakevenom, Aug 16, 2015
  16. Livvy

SLTE

I don't really mind air cooled. Cheaper, as mentioned above, and the noise doesn't bother me. If anything I find that it drowns out the tiny, yet persistent, beeping sound that comes from my wireless printer. Drives me a bit batty if some other noise isn't drowning it out. It would be nice not having to clean out my fans, though, so I might try water in the future whenever I assemble a new PC.

SLTE, Sep 2, 2015
  17. Livvy

Ishmael

I'm fine with air cooling, honestly. Unless I'm doing something crazy with my laptop, like overclocking or something, I don't see myself choosing the water cooler option. Usually cleaning up my laptop entirely and changing the thermal paste is a perfectly fine solution.

But I understand people here preferring water cooling. It's just that for my experience it's a bit unnecessary.

Ishmael, Oct 31, 2015
  18. Livvy

thess

The air cooling doesn't do that great of a job at all. I'd rather have water cooled.

thess, Nov 4, 2015
  19. Livvy

Mandhlenkhosi

Air cooling is okay, but I do prefer watercooling. It's alot quieter, and I do like overclocking my pc. One day, I'll use liquid nitrogen. One day.

Mandhlenkhosi, Nov 9, 2015
  20. Livvy

vinaya

I have never tried water cooler. I use air cooler. However, I want to to use water cooler because air cooler fan makes lost of noise

vinaya, Jan 26, 2016
Ask a Question