Wanted -Easy to Install Portable Distro & WICD

Discussion in 'Linux' started by jjj, Nov 20, 2009.

1. jjj

jjj

I need an A150 compatible distro which is:
    (i) Easy to install, preferably as portable installation on a USB stick. I can just about open the terminal window & follow instructions which assume no other previous linux knowledge.
    (ii) Has a decent Network Manager which is ROBUST & automatically detects the type of security on the network, as I shall be using it when travelling around on holiday. Possibly WICD.

Would anyone be kind enough to offer some recommendations?

On the hard disk, I currently have Linpus, with the updated network manager. 7.0.0 (I think). Unfortunately, this does not automatically detect the type of security used on the wireless network, which is no good when on holiday. However, it is slightly more robust than the original network manager.

I recently installed portable Fedora 11 on a USB stick. This appears to have the earlier network manager which detects wifi network security type (I think), but was far from robust when I was using that on the original Linpus OS. Some of the links posted to Fedora 11 WICD don't work & others have complex installation instructions aimed at Linux experts (not me).

Fedoras live USB creator is excellent for novices. I could do with something similar to install a new network manager, or another distro & a network manager.

jjj, Nov 20, 2009
  2. jjj

melhiore

Easy and easy... All I can think of is Moblin. I'm testing this distro right now and I must say it is easy, fast and looks nice... Obviously you can run it of USB or install in HDD/SSD...

http://moblin.org/

melhiore, Nov 20, 2009
  3. jjj

jjj

Thanks Melhiore.

Moblin downloaded OK & the live USB stick worked first time, using the "Windows32" method on the Moblin website. The wifi even worked first time with my Atheros card & it seems to tell me what type of encryption is used on all the surrounding wifi systems. That will be invaluable on my holidays.
    A very promising start.
    Moblin does not have Firefox installed, but has an "easy" option to install this. I can install Firefox, but it is gone on the next reboot off the USB. No point in struggling to install Skype, if the Firefox installation disappears..
    When trying to install Moblin onto a hard drive partition, that failed too.
    Looks like a nice back up OS to have on a USB.

The Ubuntu Netbook Remix looks more comprehensive & professional, but I do not yet have the wifi working, so it's useless.

jjj, Nov 22, 2009
  4. jjj

Vinter

i'm loving moblin ! i think its perfect for netbooks to be honest, i may re-install ubuntu remix or xp just so i can have some more application options until they get more support on moblin

Vinter, Nov 23, 2009
  5. jjj

jjj

Right, I now have:
    Intel 5300 wireless card, with 3 antennae.
    Ubuntu Netbook Remix on the hard drive.
    Moblin & Fedora on USBs.

Firstly Ubuntu is an intuitive system which makes it easy ton install programmes. ie download via Firefox & double click to install. Or use Synaptic package manager.
    At last a proper OS that does not require Linux expertise to do simple tasks! So far I recommend this for someone who wants a versatile & easy to use OS.

The Ubuntu network manager did not tell me what encryption is use by networks, which would be difficult on holidays. So I installed WICD usin the Synaptic package manager, which gets over that hurdle.

Moblin is the "reserve" OS on USB. Boots up very quickly & the network manager tells me what type of security is used on the router.
    This seems to show one more network within range, although I need to check if this is repeatable or just luck.

jjj, Nov 24, 2009
Ask a Question