Want inexpensive but good laptop

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by hispoiema, Mar 8, 2014.

1. hispoiema

hispoiema

My sister-in-law wants to buy a new laptop but does not want to spend too much money for it. She will only use it for basic things like email, facebook, watching netflix and watching DVDs or playing CDs.
    Anyone have any suggestions for her?

hispoiema, Mar 8, 2014
  2. hispoiema

gadgetised

I would recommend just going to your local computer store and having a look at the new Windows 8 laptops and hybrid tablets. Just make sure it has a DVD drive because some new computers don't. I would also recommend a Macbook Air. It has no DVD drive but you can buy a USB DVD drive attachment to watch and burn DVDs.

gadgetised, Mar 9, 2014
  3. hispoiema

mikelouis

I would suggest that you get a Lenovo laptop. Mostly these laptops have good processing power, enough storage space and also enough memory. In addition, they are are normally cheap to buy and maintain. It has a better battery life than that offered in HP laptops.

mikelouis, Mar 9, 2014
  4. hispoiema

Sefie

Acer. Most of the Acer laptops over here are so cheap, I've seen them at Walmart for just $450 or so! I got a really cheap Toshiba Laptop or just $650 over there as well. If you have a Walmart over there I'd recommend your sister in law to take a look there. I'm sure she will find something.

Sefie, Mar 9, 2014
  5. hispoiema

hispoiema

Thanks for all the suggestions.. I will take them to heart. Is it true that you get what you pay for?
    Our old Toshiba would over heat. I used an Acer at church and recall having problems with it.
    I have heard of Lenovo but have no experience with one myself.
    I will look into Macbook Air. I assumed all Macs would be too pricey.
    And thanks for telling us to make sure it has a DVD drive. I doubt I even would have thought of that on my own!

hispoiema, Mar 11, 2014
  6. hispoiema

JPeg

I just purchased the ASUS VivoBook. It will take some getting used to because it allows you to use the touchscreen mode as well as the regular laptop mode. The price, $300.00, is what sold me along with reviews I read that stated it was a decent product for the price. I have an iPad Mini as my "go to" machine but needed a laptop for a few other things that the iPad just can't do.

JPeg, Mar 12, 2014
  7. hispoiema

hispoiema

Thanks Jpeg. I will take note and mention it to her to look into.
    She was concerned that touchscreen mode may not be wise to get?
    Her feeling is that if the touchscreen went bad, it would negatively affect the entire machine. Does this sound correct?

hispoiema, Mar 12, 2014
  8. hispoiema

JPeg

Actually, you have the option of using the touchscreen or a regular keyboard so if one went bad, the other would keep it fully functional. It is a little distracting when you have to decide whether to touch the screen or use the keyboard. It will take some getting used to.

JPeg, Mar 13, 2014
  9. hispoiema

hispoiema

Thanks, that was what I was not sure of. I will let her know that. She has been so busy with work that she has not had proper time to look yet.
    And yes, I can see how that would take some getting used to!

hispoiema, Mar 13, 2014
  10. hispoiema

Baniclips

Not very demanding tasks, I would think any modern laptop will do the main issue is finding one that has a DVD drive since so many lack that these days. Ultrabooks in general lack DVD drives and while I think she'd love the portability of an Ultrabook, the lack of a dvd drive could be too annoying. I'd think she could easily find a very capable laptop for around $450, perhaps even less. Amazon has a huge selection, it's just important to make sure that DVD drive is there. A 15 inch screen, while less portable, may be more ideal for viewing dvds and Netflix.

Baniclips, Mar 14, 2014
  11. hispoiema

akaNeon

I never had one but aren't the Chromebook's made for exactly that purpose? The reviews are "Okay to "Good" and the hardware looks fine for the price (~200£) over here. Don't get it based on my opinion though :)

akaNeon, Mar 22, 2014
  12. hispoiema

gadgetised

Chromebooks are very limited in my opinion.

gadgetised, Mar 23, 2014
  13. hispoiema

Patrick Shah

Since your sister in law only uses the laptop for basic uses, I would recommend you purchasing a Chromebook or an Acer netbook.
    Price is affordable and it is able to do its job. Google the recommended items and i guarantee your sister in law would surely like it.

Patrick Shah, Apr 4, 2014
  14. hispoiema

maxparker0

I think dell laptops are the best value for money. They make some of the best laptops and they aren't very expensive. For the things your sister in law would use the laptop, dell would be a perfect choice I think.

maxparker0, Apr 10, 2014
  15. hispoiema

Haleema Khan

In that case, I'd like to suggest you Samsung Chromebook 2 or other branded Chromebooks. A you stated your sister-in-law doesn't want to spend more money as she will use it for basic chores. Chormebooks are quite reasonable, all you have to do is to arrange $300 only.

Haleema Khan, Apr 21, 2014
  16. hispoiema

LindaKay

I would look into one of the ones at Walmart or Sam's. They generally have affordable computers if you look at the cheaper ones. I've had several cheap computers from there over the years, and they always worked great. If you ask me, it beats buying a used or refurbished one.

LindaKay, Apr 30, 2014
  17. hispoiema

rcarroll

rcarroll, Jun 12, 2014
Ask a Question