Using a laptop as a desktop

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by AngelicDevilTel, Sep 24, 2016.

1. AngelicDevilTel

AngelicDevilTel

I was wondering if anybody here does this
    I did as one time use my laptop as a desktop when I had a busted up screen and hooked the laptop up to an external monitor.
    I didn't go all out and get an external keyboard and mouse but I thought about it.

I'm thinking about doing that again when I get a new desk setup

But do any of you guys do this, or have you done it?

AngelicDevilTel, Sep 24, 2016
  2. AngelicDevilTel

Corzhens

I got a laugh upon reading the title but I hope you will pardon me. Now I understand why the title of this thread is like that. I admire your ingenuity in making use of a laptop with a broken screen. And if you are not an "on the go" person then I guess it is okay to use your broken laptop as a desktop. However, when the laptop is working again or when you get a new laptop, I don't think it is practical to use it as a desktop because a laptop is more expensive than a desktop because of the portability. So if you are not going to use its portability then you just spent more for nothing.

Corzhens, Sep 25, 2016
  3. AngelicDevilTel

AngelicDevilTel

17" laptops aren't as portable as 15.6" or 14" laptops
    Just because you use a laptop as a desktop at home doesn't mean that you can't use the portability
    I'm not an out going person just because I never really get out my house so using a laptop on an even bigger screen while at home may be a good option for someone like myself who is visually impaired.
    I do see where you are coming from though.

AngelicDevilTel, Sep 25, 2016
  4. AngelicDevilTel

IcyBC

I have heard of people turning their laptop into a desk top, and have seen a video about it. It is a good idea if you can still use it. I am not technical or have any knowledge about software/hardware at all even if I follow the direction to a tee; I tend to mess things up without knowing.

It is fantastic that you can do it!

IcyBC, Sep 25, 2016
  5. AngelicDevilTel

Fuzyon

I still use mine as a desktop simply because I don't have the need to invest in a PC. My laptop is powerful enough to complete every task I throw at it, whether it's compiling code, playing games or simply browsing the internet. I hooked mine up to a 1440p monitor and it runs with no hiccups. I will get an extra keyboard soon enough, I really want a mechanical one!

Fuzyon, Sep 25, 2016
  6. AngelicDevilTel

SirJoe

There is no reason why you can't do that, a laptop is after all just a computer that is mobile. It doesn't mean that it can't be used like a desktop.

SirJoe, Sep 25, 2016
  7. AngelicDevilTel

AngelicDevilTel

It's not really that hard to do, but it is very helpful to do.
    One I get a new desk in my room I think I may do it.

AngelicDevilTel, Sep 26, 2016
  8. AngelicDevilTel

fcuco

I did this for a while, but I used an external keyboard, mouse and display, the key was to configure the OS so when you closed the laptop the system did not went into hibernation, so I basically used the laptop as a desktop while closed. This also had the advantage that it basically gave me an UPS since the machine continued to operate even if I experience power loss, plus the battery lasted an amazing long time when it did not had to power the display.

fcuco, Sep 26, 2016
  9. AngelicDevilTel

AngelicDevilTel

I knew how to do this with windows, I just have to find out how to do it with Linux because more than likely I wil dual boot my next PC as well.

AngelicDevilTel, Sep 26, 2016
  10. AngelicDevilTel

acerme2

That is exactly what happened to my brother's laptop. He's enjoying the bigger screen right now! He had been using an external mouse before but I think an external keyboard is not necessary at this time. It's good to know that you sill have options when major parts of a laptop like an lcd gets busted.

acerme2, Oct 2, 2016
  11. AngelicDevilTel

Aree Wongwanlee

I have already done this with my old laptop. The screen was dead. The hard drive was dead. The CD-ROM drive was dead. The keyboard was dead. So, add an external monitor, an external keyboard, an external mouse and a USB drive loaded with Puppy Linux. Viola! My laptop became alive again. I used it for more than a year like that before the power supply circuit blew and I gave it up.

Aree Wongwanlee, Oct 2, 2016
  12. AngelicDevilTel

Novelangel

Since I despise the stupid touch pads associated with laptops, I always incorporate a mouse and use that instead. This makes my laptop a little more like a desktop than some people might like, but it makes it easier for me in the long run. As a writer, I hate having my page scrolling up and down all the time because my wrist accidentally touched that sensitive screen while I was typing. I actually did use a laptop as a desktop for a while, until I could afford to buy a new PC, so yeah, it's not unheard of to me.

Novelangel, Oct 5, 2016
  13. AngelicDevilTel

Vash

I have seen people doing that at LAN parties in a computer lab on the campus when I was still in the college. You can certainly do that when you have the laptop set at using the external monitor when it is closed. The downside is that more heat will be trapped inside the laptop.

On a side note, my mom uses an USB keyboard for her laptop because she prefers big keys. So yes, you can also use a full sized keyboard on your laptop no problem. For mouse, many people use a mouse for their laptops. I am using one at this very moment, not that I really need it, but rather because I was playing video games a few minutes ago. :)

It does not mean you are actually using your laptop as a desktop. :p It is still a laptop. You can use it anywhere, be it on your laps, or on your desk. It doesn't change the fact it is a laptop, but rather its location has been changed.

Vash, Oct 5, 2016
Ask a Question